FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-28 9:19 pm   Permalink

Here's the father/son project...

Mission accomplished!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-09 02:51 am   Permalink

Here's the square bowl I made a while back, all glazed up:

I have another hand-built wahine mug waiting for bisque fire right now, but in the mean time I've moved on to slip-casting.

I have a 1970's handled skull mug mold that I just started experimenting with. If I can get it in gear, maybe I'll do a run of them and try to sell them for Halloween...

There's a learning curve, though. My first one out of the mold looked good and was the right thickness but was missing half of the handle. I used some trimmings to re-sculpt the handle, then discovered the bottom was too wet and when I picked it up, the bottom fell out like a cup of Jello pudding. ):

I'll let the mold dry out for a day or two, then try it again. I'm using a stoneware slip that is really thick. I may try thinning it out a little bit and then take extra care to try and direct slip into the handle. And...let it sit longer before popping it out.

More updates soon.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-09 08:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-28 21:19, Trader Tom wrote:

Here's the father/son portrait

Tom, how awesome that you are teaching you son how to sling mud! Look at the pride on his face! Any
excuse to hang out with your kids is a good one. I can't wait until my grandsons (now age 2 1/2 years & 3 months) are ready

The bowl turned out great. I love that blue/green glaze on the outside and the lava texture is cool too. I looked for a skull mold and couldn't find one. So I tried building one last night, we'll see how that worked out.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-09 10:47 pm   Permalink

Tom! Looking better all the time! I miss you, I'll call this week

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-12 9:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks!

So I thinned down my slip and it seemed to do the trick. I just popped out my first skull mug.

Can't wait to start glazing these. I think I'm going to go with a rust brown exterior, white interior, and do lots of different colors for the teeth, nose, and eye sockets (orange, red, green, etc...).

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-12 10:51 pm   Permalink

That's a very nice mold. Good job. I've not done a skull. Yours is just in time for Halloween. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-12 10:51 pm   Permalink

That's a very nice mold. Good job. I've not done a skull. Yours is just in time for Halloween. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 2:56 pm   Permalink

So I have the first couple of these glazed, but not glaze fired yet. I'll probably drop them off at the kiln this weekend.

The one on the left is a crackle brown with white teeth and sockets. The right one is a rust brown with orange teeth and sockets.

I'm stamping them and numbering them on the bottom. Hope to do about 50 or so.

I should be able to hit the mark because I did some digging and came up with a second identical skull mug mold!

Just in time for Halloween.

I'll start putting them in marketplace after I get the first couple done, assuming they turn out okay.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 7:24 pm   Permalink

They look good Tom, that crackle glaze should look especially cool. Are you using a high fire stoneware?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 9:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Yes, I'm using high fire stoneware slip for these. Firing to cone 6.

Just started using the new mold. With two at a time I should have quite a few shortly...

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-13 05:42 am   Permalink

Well, I got busy and haven't posted anything on my ceramics in a while, but I've kept at it.

I'm going to pick up the first couple of glaze-fired skull mugs from the kiln this weekend and will post pics of how they turned out when I get a chance. So far, I have a dozen made and will have a bunch available for sale shortly before Halloween.

I'm also playing with another vintage mold. Just pulled the first casting from it about an hour ago.

You may recognize it in lamp form. Go Tiki has used it before to make some really nice lamps.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=24254&forum=18&start=210&hilite=ken%20ocorr

The mold is a Ken Ocorr mold from the 1960's. Ocorr ran a mold-making facility in Long Beach, CA for many years. My guess is that he or someone else made this mold based off of an earlier design and then sold it to be used by home hobbyists.

This was the largest mold I've ever used and it went pretty smoothly except for when I was pouring slip back out of the mold. I thought I had it all but I didn't expect a delayed "ketchup bottle" effect and ended up with slip all over the kitchen floor. It mopped up easily enough, but next time I will use a bucket instead of trying to smoothly pour it all back into the narrow opening of the 2-gallon container I was using. Live and learn.

Anyway, more updates soon.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-13 06:10 am   Permalink

I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes a clay mess in the kitchen!

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-14 12:37 am   Permalink

Rusty Skull with Orange Eyes

Crackle Brown Skull

Skull number three is glazed in Dark Antiqued Gold but it's waiting to get fired.

ebtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-14 12:40 pm   Permalink

Nice skulls, Tom!

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-14 2:09 pm   Permalink

Lookin good

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation