FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-15 04:37 am   Permalink

Thanks!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-15 05:48 am   Permalink

Great looking glazes Rom, I like #1

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-16 2:55 pm   Permalink

How did you guess my secret identity?

Behold! The space cyborg when not fashioning ceramic vessels!

Seriously, though, thanks! I have a bunch more cooking and look forward to seeing what the kiln has for me this weekend.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-16 7:53 pm   Permalink

Maybe I was thinking of Rum when I typed that (or mabe I was drinking rum )

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-21 12:47 am   Permalink

Here's the latest two out of the kiln.

#3 is the new Antique Gold glaze and #4 is a brown one like I did before. I like the gold one a lot. It looks pretty cool in person.

Next week I'll have four more out of the kiln: (a blue/green one with the same glaze I used on Joseph's mug, a satin red one, another antique gold, and a second one in rust). Meanwhile, I have 4 bisques to paint. I'm going to try a new glaze that reminds me of some older two-toned mottled Tiki Farm mugs I have.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-21 07:17 am   Permalink

These are very nice, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-01 9:58 pm   Permalink

Here's my latest four skull mugs:

This is the blue/green mottled matte glaze Joseph & I used on his Tiki mug. I glazed the inside with the the same glaze but it oxidized darker than the outside. Kinda reminds me of a space photo of the Earth with all the green and blue.

I was disappointed in this glaze. I put extra coats, but it came out more pinkish than reddish. Still, somebody might like a pinkish mug...

Another antiqued gold one but I made the sockets white instead of rust and the eyesocket cracks are a bit thinner.

I saved the best for last. This is another brown crackle, but I decided to give him eyes. This is my favorite so far and I'm glazing two more the same way to drop off at the kiln this weekend.

Thanks for looking!

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-03 10:56 pm   Permalink

More from the kiln...

This time I have some glossy glazes instead of the previous matte glazes.

Mystic Blue

Black Moss

Drip Glaze Swamp Thing

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-03 11:10 pm   Permalink

Cool glazes Tom, are you using a red clay?

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-04 12:09 am   Permalink

Thanks.

I'm still using the same natural white stoneware slip.

I glazed my first several pieces using matte glazes made in-house by Georgie's Ceramics. However, these latest were glazed with Amaco brand glazes. I really like the blue. I glazed my first couple of Ken Ocorr statues with it and I can't wait to see how they turn out next weekend.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-04 05:59 am   Permalink

I really like the two toned effect of the Mystic Blue one Tom. I thought is was blue glaze breaking over a red or tan clay but it's more complicated than that

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-04 08:40 am   Permalink

Cool mug, I want that mystic blue glaze

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-04 2:52 pm   Permalink

Tom, love this last batch, that blue does look great, sorta southwestern skull style.. I'm liking Swamp Thing though.. He's mine..!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-04 3:10 pm   Permalink

Great colors
Love da eyes

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-04 4:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha Doctor Trader Tom!

Yep, the Mystic Blue is my favorite too! Have you considered modifying the greenware before firing by carving into the surface? Like making cracks on the skull and stuff like that? You could even carve text, and customize for people with their names that way!

Great to see Trader Joe! He has a big boy hair cut and everything! Great piece the two of you did together!

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation