FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-04 7:20 pm   Permalink

I would recommend some smaller brushes though. The glaze in the eyes is a bit larger than the actual cracks that are already in the sockets. Maybe a 00.

Oh, and I can't wait to get that bowl in!

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2012-11-04 19:21 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-04 7:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and compliments!

I totally agree that I need smaller brushes. Also, Eric, you're absolutely right that customizing these would be cool. That might be the next step. I was thinking of giving them a chiseled finish or wood grain or using tapa patterns.

I'm kind of fidgeting around and trying to decide what to do next. I think I will pour a few more skulls and a couple more of the Ken Ocorr statues this week.

However, I think I want to move on and make my own sculpted mug for the next project.

I have a cool pic of a Tahitian piece that looks really different and is inspiring me to make a mug version.

I like the idea of using the plasteline clay for the sculpt, so I get great detail, but I've never used it and I'm not sure what brand (Roma, Prima, Claystone?) to use. Also, I was told I needed a heat lamp to make this stuff pliable. Is that true?

Anyway, I think I'll probably try to move forward on this in a week or two. I feel confident with all the great mold-making tips on this board and online that I can move ahead.

We'll see, I guess. Whether I succeed or crash and burn, I'll post results.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-08 9:08 pm   Permalink

Tom, I've been using NSP clay by Chavant, it comes in soft med and hard and I usually get the Hard... It comes in the 2lb blocks, I usually slice it up and then zap in the micro for just a very short time to make it softer so I can work my shape.. It's great because it never gets hard like regular clay.. If you want to carve finer detail I put mine in the fridge for awhile and it get even harder, then you can carve your detail better and more control, at least that what I do..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-09 03:21 am   Permalink

That's good news about using the microwave. One less thing I need to buy. Thanks for the tip!

I haven't seen Chavant at Georgie's or at Blick's Art Supplies but I'll ask around.

I don't think sulfur in the plasticine is an issue since I'm just using plaster, not silicone rubber.

So...I think I'm leaning toward Roma #2 Medium or Prima #2 Medium that are in the Georgie's catalogue and I can pick up in their store. Unless I can find Chavant handily.

I'll pick their brains more this weekend at Georgie's when I pick my latest up from the kiln.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2012-11-09 7:19 pm   Permalink

Tom I order the Chavant off ebay for $8.95 per 2 pound block and it's sulphur free. It works for me but I've never used anything else besides a candle from Ross when I first started... (wouldn;t suggest that since it melted into the plaster when the mold was being made.. )

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2012-11-09 7:20 pm   Permalink

Here's the link for the Chavant on eBay in case you need it..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chavant-NSP-Non-Drying-Modeling-Clay-Hard-Dark-Brown-sculpting-modeling-/370649114247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564c68a687

Aloha

"TikiPop" On Instagram

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-10 11:38 am   Permalink

Much appreciated! It's nice to know I can order it if necessary.

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-10 9:11 pm   Permalink

Here's today's kiln pull. This is the first Ken Ocorr Tiki I've glazed. I chose "Mystic Blue" again.

Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-15 3:53 pm   Permalink

Tom, love this, great color

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2012-11-15 6:13 pm   Permalink

Looks Great with that glaze color, NICE!

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-16 12:30 am   Permalink

Thanks!

I heard back from Georgie's that my latest version of the Ken Ocorr Statue stuck to the kiln. Joseph helped me paint that one and he was hoping to give it to his friend. Hopefully it's not that bad, but I guess they can't all be winners. I'll see this weekend when I pick it up.

I'm going to start sculpting an original mug (to be molded and slipcast) after Thanksgiving. I picked my design and I'm excited about it.

I'm also taking part in the "Sea Creatures of the South Pacific Swap". I think I will try making a hand-built seahorse volcano bowl. I just need to get motivated. I've got plenty of clay at hand. I'll be sure to post progress pics.

More soon...

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-25 6:43 pm   Permalink

Been a while since I updated, but here's the progress shots of my 2013 "Sea Creatures of the South Pacific" art swap pieces:

Just made.

Bisque fired and glazed, but not glaze-fired yet.

Finished.

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-01 4:54 pm   Permalink

Well, I've been busy, so I haven't had a chance to work on my sculpt for an original mug. However, I did work on a new batch of stuff for the Hale Pele's Polynesian Plaza event that's coming up soon.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=45029&forum=4

Here's my stuff in process:

I have 11 new pieces ready for glaze fire (two Standing Tikis in Mystic Blue, three Moai in Mystic Blue, two Skulls in Mystic Blue, a red Skull with Mystic Blue drip, two Skulls with a rub-off stain finish in Mahogany Brown, and one Skull in a rub-off stain finish of Winter Blue).

I like how the rub-off stain is working. I used that on my last hand-built project. Shows details REALLY well.

Here's close-ups:

The firing schedule is pretty tight, but I'm hoping to pick up four more pieces and get them glazed and turned around before the show. Here are the pieces that should be back from bisque fire soon:

The ashtray is from a new Holland Mold I just acquired. It gave me a chance to use one of the pin-up girls as a slipcast mold as intended instead of as a press mold which is what I've been doing so far. The detail is much better as a slipcast piece. I think I will glaze the ashtray in my yellowish-brown rust glaze, use the Mystic Blue on the water, and use the mahogany wipe-away on the pin-up. Should look good.

Anyway, that's the update. More pics soon after the glaze fire. Thanks for looking.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-02 08:20 am   Permalink

We have a lamp with flashing lights that the family says the Dad got on Oahu after WWII. It's a great tiki with a long history. I love your Mystic Blue glaze, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2013-05-02 11:17 am   Permalink

Go Tom go!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation