FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Trader Tom's Ceramic Projects
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 6:03 pm   Permalink

I'll cross mine too. It's going to look wonderful. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 9:46 pm   Permalink

That's going to be awesome

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 15 days ago; 1:03 pm   Permalink

Tom good to see you active again, nice bowl. No matter what happens - HAVE FUN!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 14 days ago; 12:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks, guys. I grumble and worry, but I'm having fun overall !

No big cracks so far. So that's good.

I textured the connecting bridges between the figures and the bowl.

When it looked stable to flip over, I noticed a couple of awkward spots that I patched with paper clay on the underside of those bridge connections.

These patches have developed a few small cracks since, but the exterior of the bowl looks good and is drying out nicely.

I suppose I could aim for perfection with the underside, and try to patch those tiny cracks, but I think I'm going to just let it go. I feel like every time I dither with it, I'm risking a break. It seems very delicate at this point.

When it's really dry I will give it a bit of sanding and then take it off to the kiln.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 8:52 pm   Permalink

Nice piece, best of luck.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 01:09 am   Permalink

It's gonna be fine Tom! Can't wait to see it, Very Beautiful!!

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 6:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement!

I dropped off the bowl today at Georgie's kiln. They were loading the kiln today, so it shouldn't be too long of a wait.

There was some fantastic stuff waiting in line on the shelf. A couple of giant ceramic monster masks caught my eye.

I like my bowl and can't wait to get it fired, but now I'm curious to see how some of the other pieces turn out.

This really is a cool hobby!

I perused the aisles and talked to one of the workers there about mixing mason stain. I don't know if I'll use it on this bowl, but I may try using some of the mason stains in the near future. Looks like I can get some cool washes and effects with it.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 6:46 pm   Permalink

Yay! The bowl survived the bisque fire. When you tap it, it rings like a bell. Now the glazing begins...

Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 7 days ago; 12:13 pm   Permalink

Okay, so I started some glazing this morning. I figure I'll do a limited run of these in a variety of different color combinations.

This first one I'm going to glaze with a silk black glaze on the exterior of the bowl, a mystic blue rutile glaze on interior, and the girls will have a wipe effect using a winter blue to show off details.

I started with the winter blue wipe away glaze. It goes on looking like a dull olive green.

Here's progress pics:

Trader Tom
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 5 days ago; 02:19 am   Permalink

Another look at the bowl with almost all the glazing done. I need to add a second coat of black this weekend and then I will cart it off to the kiln for glaze fire next week.

The colors will be totally different when fired. The reddish interior turns a rutile brownish mottled blue and the greenish girls will be blue.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation