[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food mai tai help - bevmo
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
mai tai help - bevmo
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-18 6:52 pm   Permalink

I'd like to make the best possible classic Trader Vics 1944 Mai Tai from ingredients I can get from the inventory at my local BevMo Van Nuys California store. As a non-mixologist the many brand options for all of the components, from rums to orange curacao is overwhelming. I realize that BevMo won't have the best of the best, but I'd like to get input on the best of what I can get here. Any kind soul willing to take a look at the site and help me with a shopping list for Van Nuys, CA?

http://www.bevmo.com/misc/storelocator.aspx

thanks!

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-07-18 7:50 pm   Permalink

Curacao:

Marie Brizard and Curacao Curacao are bot usually available at BevMo and both are acceptable.

Orgeat:

probably only Trader Vics and Torani will be available at BevMo. Between the two of them, get the Vic's. DO NOT use the Torani sugar free almond syrup, it will ruin your Mai Tai.

Rum:

You want a good aged rum, preferably from Martinique or Barbados. St. James h'Or dage is probably the best. BevMo may or may not have it. Mount Gay Sugar Cane (which BevMo likely will not have) or Mount Gay Extra Old (which it probably will) are good alternate choices. NOT Mount Gay Eclipse. Do not use any Bacardi or spiced rum, either. I have never used any of the Martinque agricole rums in a Mai Tai, so I cannot comment on those. From what I have tasted of them, I would stick with aged, fuller bodied rums than the agricole rums.

For the dark rum, Coruba is fine. No not use Myers's.

If you want a better selection of rums than you will get at BevMo, try Wine and Liquor Depot. It is also in Van Nuys, on Saticoy near Balboa.

[ This Message was edited by: PiPhiRho 2012-07-18 20:00 ]

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-07-18 9:10 pm   Permalink

Try Total Wine & More in Northridge sometime. According to their website that location has 339 different kinds of rum. You can order it online and go pick it up.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-19 08:37 am   Permalink

I checked over their inventory. Here's what I would buy:

Barbancourt Rhum 5 Star
Appleton Estate Reserve Rum
Grand Marnier
Torani Orgeat Syrup

If you don't mind spending a little extra, I'd buy Appleton Estate Extra (12 Year) instead of the Reserve.

There's not a great selection of orange liqueurs, so I'd go with Grand Marnier. Grand Marnier is a type of orange curacao, but it's a little sweeter than most, so I'd eliminate the addition of simple syrup to the cocktail.

If they had the Pierre Ferrand Orange Curacao in stock (which they don't currently), I'd probably buy that instead (and probably supplement it with a little simple syrup).

You'll also need some limes to squeeze.

These ingredients will make you a very tasty drink without breaking the bank.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-20 4:27 pm   Permalink

Many thanks for all of the help. Here is what I ended up with from Wine and Liquor Depot, Van Nuys:

Barbancourt Rhum 5 Star (8 year)
Appleton Estate Extra
Senior Curacao Orange
Trader Vics Orgeat Syrup
Trader Vics Rock Candy Syrup

+ fresh limes and mint

Any further mix advice with these components would be most welcome.

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 5:23 pm   Permalink

Enough already . . . DRINK!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 1:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-20 16:27, mcmtiki wrote:
Trader Vics Orgeat Syrup
Trader Vics Rock Candy Syrup

Any further mix advice with these components would be most welcome.

Yummy!

I would make one with all the stuff listed.

I would then make a second one and slightly overpour the orgeat and skip the Rock Candy Syrup. The TV Orgeat is already overly sweet in my opinion, but I admit to liking my drinks to lean towards the tart side.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 5:33 pm   Permalink

How was it?????

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-23 7:09 pm   Permalink

Came out well -- thanks all for the tips. I will try nixing the rock candy next time out. In general, I think something was a bit off; mainly getting the balance of lime "just" right.

I've still never had a real 1945 Mai Tai from Trader Vics, which I hope to do someday soon. Also, a Navy Grog. If cabs weren't so expensive is L.A. I would not have this problem.

[ This Message was edited by: mcmtiki 2012-07-23 19:43 ]

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 08:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-23 19:09, mcmtiki wrote:
In general, I think something was a bit off; mainly getting the balance of lime "just" right.

Did you use "juice of 1 lime"? Remember, Vic was most likely using a bartender's (key) lime rather than the big lime that's usually found in grocery stores.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-23 19:09, mcmtiki wrote:
... mainly getting the balance of lime "just" right.

Based on your posted ingredients I would suggest 3/4 ounce of lime juice. And, oh drats, you are going to have to try making several each with a bit more or less lime till you find your perfect balance.

And drop the spent shell into the glass when you pour. It only adds a hint to the final drink, but sometimes a hint of something is the difference between an OK drink and a WOW drink.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 10:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

I've still never had a real 1945 Mai Tai from Trader Vics, which I hope to do someday soon.

You will most likely find yourself disappointed.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-24 2:27 pm   Permalink

I recently went to Trader Vic's downtown and I had 4 drinks. All of them were way too sweet and syrupy for my taste. I am going to try the one in Beverly Hills next month, I hope it is better. Thumbs down on all Trader Vic's drinks from me. I am sure that they are far from the original recipes at this point though.

The Mai Tais at Don the Beachcomber in Huntington (or Seal) Beach are my favorite. That is the drink I try to model my Mai Tais after.

I love Bharbancourt in my Mai Tai. I want to find better curacao and oregeat though as Bev Mo is mainly my only option in San Diego.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2012-07-24 14:30 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-28 5:26 pm   Permalink

Special Ordering Rum for tiki drinks is pretty par for the course, that being said

If you are in Cali you should be able to get the best stuff very easily, you should not have to skimp or go with substandard ingredients - most of the places I special order from are in Cali

Cask and KL Wines will ship liquor online will orders in state, so you should have no issues there

Get Small Hand Foods Orgeat - best stuff you can buy other than making it yourself
Also you can get Appleton v/x rum at Bevmo and order the Rhum Clemente VSOP from Cask or KL Wines

You already have Curaco of Curaco orange so you are all set

I generally use .5 oz or HALF a lime for my mai tai's and I toss a bit of extra orgeat in there, and you should be using 1:1 Simple Syrup not Rock Syrup in the drink

For a Navy Grog which is my favorite drink my recipe is:

1oz Flor de Cana 4 year

1oz El Dorado 12 year OR Lemon Hart 80 proof (the LH is slightly better but not avaliable in the US so it is a lot of work to de-proof the 151)

1oz Coruba - I special order mine from Wine Chateau

.5oz lime juice (plus a couple drops more,but not near the .75 that is recommended)

.75oz grapefruit juice (fresh squeezed is better but if not ocean spray you can make do - if you are using fresh marsh grapefruits you will want to up the clover honey syrup a dash possibly or just use a rock candy swizzle for garnish to add the extra sweetness)

.5oz 2:1 Clover Honey Syrup (2 cups of honey to one cup of water) OR you can use 1 oz of 1:1 but the thicker syrup gives the drink a better mouthfeel and it also will not go bad as quickly due to the higher sugar concentration)

.25oz St. Elizabeth All Spice Dram - go easy with this stuff, it is VERY potent, do not overpour it
Mint Garnish

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-30 6:39 pm   Permalink

By searching the list and the web it seems that Trader Vic's no longer sells a Navy Grog mix nor a Navy Grog concentrate -- is that true?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation