[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food mai tai help - bevmo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
mai tai help - bevmo
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 5:55 pm   Permalink

Your spirits are fine. Better than those used in most bars. I doubt you'd notice much difference by going higher shelf. It's definitely not necessary.

Your could improve the Orgeat, though, for sure. If you don't want to make your own, Small Hand Foods or BG Reynolds are the best. (You won't find them at BevMo, unfortunately.)

The other possibility is the recipe. You might need to adjust it to better suit your palate. More lime, less lime, more simple, etc.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 6:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-29 17:55, djmont wrote:
Small Hand Foods or BG Reynolds are the best. (You won't find them at BevMo, unfortunately.)

I gotta second the BG Reynolds for sure! That's the best, most consistent stuff in my opinion. The only downside is that all the syrups tend to be made with natural fruits etc, which is good but will actually result in molding if you don't keep it refrigerated (I found out the hard way.) If you don't think you'll be using a lot of it, add no more than .5 oz of vodka into it and shake well. That'll help keep it fresh longer and the advice comes straight from Blair himself.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-30 09:25 am   Permalink

I think this is a great post

Here's my blueprint for making any drink:

Measure everything the first few times. Use good ingredients, if you dont have personal knowledge, use what has a good reputation. Tweak the ingredients again & again. Change the rums. When you think you make a good one, make one for a friend or go to a reputable bar & order one.

That last bit is really key for me - you can gauge how good your drink is & see what they do differently.

In my mai tais I usually use Monin Orgeat, Monin Gomme & Cointreau - they don't overpower the rest of the drink but are definitely there. Therefore, as intended, the main variable is the rum

Quote:

On 2013-07-29 14:44, mcmtiki wrote:
I'd like some help to improve my Mai Tai. Somehow, the magic isn't quite there. I wondering if the... is the weak link?

I think this falls under the 'Tweak the ingredients again & again'. Add a bit more of this, add a bit less of that, change this, change that, etc etc.

In tiki drinks most of the ingredients are really important, I wouldn't hesitate to experiment

You should buy another Orgeat if you think you need it, it can make a big difference.

Homemaking isnt as hard as you think:
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/11/diy-vs-buy-should-you-make-your-own-orgeat-syrup-cocktails-tiki-drinks.html

Im a recent 'homemade' convert, my pimento dram is definite step up from Bitter Truths. Make a 2 / 3 oz tester first before you make litres.

I would advise more purchases & experimentation... which means drinks Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-07-30 09:27 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-03 9:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the advice. Took an hour round trip drive to pick up a bottle of Small Hands orgeat. Made a big difference, along with some Arrowhead premium ice, crushed.

[ This Message was edited by: mcmtiki 2013-08-03 21:54 ]

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-04 05:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-03 21:53, mcmtiki wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Took an hour round trip drive to pick up a bottle of Small Hands orgeat. Made a big difference

People can tell you 'this definitely makes a difference' but until you try it you dont know if you like it If I have 2 versions of the same liqour / syrup 1st thing I do is try one then the other to find the best, it varies drink to drink!

I prefer making my mai tais with straight VX (after trying as many variations as I could including using Appleton 12).

I saw this post:

http://drinksahoy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/rum-diary-mai-tais-appleton-rum-tasting.html

Yesterday I got a bottle of Appleton 8 (aka Appleton Reserve) to try - I'm looking forward to it & will report back!

Edit: Yes the Appleton Reserve 8 makes a good mai tai on its own!

I also tried a Ti Punch with Trois Rivieres Blanc - very funky This is only my second bottle of rhum agricole, after Saint James Amber. I had almost dismissed rhum agricole ~ maybe I just don't like Saint James Amber much(?)

The funk of the Trois Rivieres Blanc is similar to a Jamaican rum. I can feel some experimentation coming on

[ This Message was edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-04 15:39 ]

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-11 10:26 am   Permalink

So to keep the experimentation going, I'd like to swap out one of the rums from below. Any suggestions? I'd also like to come up with a better off-the-shelf Rock Candy sub. The stirrings is very meh, bu I'm too lazy and too busy to produce any DIY concoction.

Also, the designated drivers, any virgin mai tai suggestions?

Barbancourt Rhum 5 Star (8 year)
Appleton Estate Extra
Senior Curacao Orange
Samll Hands Orgeat
Stirrings Simple Syrup
Lime

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation