FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What to do with people who have no taste?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What to do with people who have no taste?
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-26 3:54 pm   Permalink

You have to quit trying to change people. I have my craft cocktail friends who I geek out with (admittedly I have Smuggler's Cove nearby so I can get this out of my system). And then I know folks who just want to get drunk. They get the Meyers and beer. You need to separate your groups not try to mash them up. Trying to expose your non tiki friends to tiki stuff when they do not express much interest will just lead to gifts from the party store.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-26 4:00 pm   Permalink

Spit them out...

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-26 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

They get the Meyers and beer.

True story: I know someone that drinks just that. A Natural Ice with a big gulp taken out of it and a float of Myers's on top. He refers to it as a "flavor enhancer."

Quote:

Trying to expose your non tiki friends to tiki stuff when they do not express much interest will just lead to gifts from the party store.

Ha! Too true. After making my MIL an equivalent of a $100 mai tai, the surge of Jimmy Buffet paraphernalia and plastic tiki masks ensued.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-28 11:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-26 16:00, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Spit them out...

Try some HP Sauce. It makes everything better.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-28 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-26 16:00, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Spit them out...

Have you tried various seasonings?

I must admit, I am not a connoisseur of rum, but I do appreciate a very finely made cocktail and enjoy the wonderful flavors. I will not be able to tell you what brand of rum you used, but if you used a high quality product and let me know you did, I would savor the experience and not just slam it back without respect of the mixing craft.

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2012-07-28 11:52 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-31 10:58 pm   Permalink

Sometimes the trick to making successful drinks is in understanding the tastes of the people you are making them for, and either selecting drink recipes that naturally will follow those tastes, or figuring out how to modify other recipes accordingly without damaging their fundamental character.

For the folks that like knocking their short drinks back, maybe something with a long lingering aftertaste? (Perhaps something heavy on the Herbsaint?)

Or take the folks that raved over the vodka pineapple juice - why do you think it was so popular? Perhaps it was a group who dislikes the taste of heavy rums? In that case going for lighter, whiter rums might be the solution. Alternately, there are many tiki drinks out there that call for vodka.

Was it the color it had when the Hawaiian punch was added that drew them in? Sometimes, it can be a case of presentation. Many people drink with their eyes. If one drink has a more impressive presentation, it may get more applause than one that is really more interesting flavor-wise, but served in a simple manner.

If that's the case, maybe bust out some of the trick pony drinks. A Shark Bite using one of those grenadine-filled sharks. Ice cones. A drink that you set on fire. Something with dry ice. Cheap showmanship, sure, but definitely part of a certain type of tiki culture.

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-05 1:26 pm   Permalink

I understand the issue and it can be frustrating. Recently I had a party and I knew upfront that most had not experienced a well-crafted tiki cocktail. Being in Florida people are used to the beach drinks. I decided that I would introduce people slowly and have more accessible drinks available. I made painkillers and Mai Kai tribute recipe Jet Pilot. Granted the Painkiller moved quick, but the Jet Pilot's had the desired effect and sparked peoples interest. As the evening went on I had conversations about different drinks and soon I was helping my friends make 1934 zombies. More than one taxi was called...

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-05 2:06 pm   Permalink

I am always amused at how fast people succumb to the effects of Tropical Cocktails
who are not used to them, even after Stern warnings of the liqueur content.

Just be sure to get those car keys up front, foolish light weights!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-05 10:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-05 14:06, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I am always amused at how fast people succumb to the effects of Tropical Cocktails
who are not used to them, even after Stern warnings of the liqueur content.

Just be sure to get those car keys up front, foolish light weights!

The slogan is just as wise today, as when The Master first included it in his menu, for select items:
"Don will not serve more than 2 to each person."

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-06 10:21 am   Permalink

It's a heartbreaker sometimes. I remember hauling two porta-bars (those 60's-70's briefcase-bars w/the mixing tools etc) and fresh ingredients along a 2-hour Greyhound trip to relatives and mixed up a batch of Mai Tai's. My beaming face was met with, "kinda sweet...", "a little too tart..." and varying qualities of indifference. Won't be bothering with THAT again.

Now I'm not saying I'm above slamming back crap for a quick drunk, but I got taught a lesson, anyways: keep the best for those you know will appreciate it.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-11 06:20 am   Permalink

It is somewhat unfair and difficult to be satisfied if you expect your friends and guests to have the same level of interest in your drinks that we all have. We're the weird ones, they don't have to be, even if they are uncultured. I agree with Chip - the whole reason for doing this is to be a host and if your guests enjoy Hawaiian Punch then that's what they enjoy. Kick them out and invite different guests, or serve them Hawaiian Punch.

I do however, think it is fair to want to try to elevate the taste of your guests. I have had varying degrees of success at parties getting folks out of their comfort zone. Typically, I serve very little beer (and when I do, I serve something out of the ordinary) and a series of mixed drinks. Some go over well, some don't, but people know they're going to get something different when they come to my tiki bar and they seem to enjoy that. Even if they do want their Genny Cream Ale when they get home.

Cosmogirl and I are trying something new that is proving to be somewhat successful. We're doing a cocktail tasting party. All guest are expected to bring a cocktail (with enough to serve a small amount to most guests, maybe the equivalent of 8 normal drinks) and to send their cocktail recipe ahead of time. They will serve their recipe at the party. In return, we provide food and a drink as well, and compile all the recipes into commemorative recipe books. All guests at the party get one that contains all the drinks that were served.

The party is next week, but response has been good. We got a little pushback initially but when we stressed that this was the type of party it was, every guest pushed themselves to provide a recipe. Several guest who couldn't come have also sent cocktail recipes, and we'll be sending recipe books on to them as well even though they cannot attend and their drink won't be served.

In short, this turned out to be a great way to create some interest in some cocktail culture and folks really seem to be enjoying it. Some recipes are complicated (we have a French Martini, a cosmopolitan, a tequila fizz, and some homemade limoncello among other things) and some are pretty straightforward (liquid pants remover, apparently discovered during a camping trip, 1 shot raspberry vodka served with 8 oz. diet berry soda). But in the end, our guests really got into the project and it is turning out to be a fun way to have a unique party. We didn't have to do all the work, and our guests seem to really like the idea.

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-17 7:19 pm   Permalink

By the way - Cocktail Tasting Party was a HUGE hit - people loved the process and the different drinks, and really loved getting a cocktail book at the end of the night. It was a great way to get people into cocktail culture.

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-21 10:59 pm   Permalink

I retired (moved on) from pro bartending, and now I just do it for private parties- friends and referrals. I get much praise for my classic tropical drinks and prohibition cocktails at the private parties, and I think it's because many folk out here in LA were pre- primed by the mixology craze. They know what they're tasting after a while. Conversely, in the bar business, writing cocktail menus was a struggle in the good taste department. I often found management was scared or out of touch with progressive taste and I was usually forced to reign back anything complicated, until my last menu contributions when every bartender hated me for making them actually work for the drink. But I can commiserate with the pervasive trend in most folk being absolutely clueless when they taste something- especially with bitters- they say it tastes like "old man" or "too sour." Surprisingly its not the rude tudes or dog eat dog that bums me out as much as comments like those.

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 11:33 pm   Permalink

Do Cannibal's even eat people with no taste?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-22 8:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-21 23:33, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Do Cannibal's even eat people with no taste?

Non-Tiki cannibals don't even care if the people have taste. Or garnish. They just want to get full.

Pack of un-cultured slobs.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation