Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Monster Tiki Bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Monster Tiki Bar
Monster Tiki

Posted: 2012-07-26 09:51 am   Permalink

I shot about a dozen photos of our basement tiki bar yesterday, including some closeups of some details. As a newbie I'm not sure how much to share so I'll start with a few basics. Let me know if you'd like to see more.

When we moved into this house a few years ago, this bar area was already in the basement. The wallcovering and the covering around the base of the bar were already there.

My in-laws live in Pensacola and we started bringing home tikis from a tiki carver every time we visited.

Our biggest tiki carving.

You've gotta have tiki mugs! We an additional set of 12 less interesting mugs that I bought in bulk. They are better for parties.

Our aquarium without water and a custom tiki carving. He looks like a monster we like.

Hope you enjoy!
Monster Tiki

View Profile of Monster Tiki Send a personal message to Monster Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-07-26 09:56 am   Permalink

Nice, looks like a fun place.

UNTIL THE LIGHTS GO OUT!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-26 10:21 am   Permalink

Looks like a fun place to throw back a beverage or three! Do you have any low light capabilities for the bar or anything on the individual monsters, tikis, etc?

Nice collection! Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monster Tiki

Posted: 2012-07-27 07:23 am   Permalink

The lights above the bar are separate from the ceiling lights. We also have lamps next to the futon in the bar. When we are having a party we usually kill the main ceiling lights and go with the bar ceiling lights, lamp and accent lights we have in the room like the one that uplights the tall tiki in the corner.

Our house has an old odd style of light switch. I can't put a dimmer on them. I've not been able to find out much about them. The switches are small and in the basement workshop is some sort of panel which buzzes each time you press a light switch. I dread the day the system stops working. I think in 1965 it was considered the hot, new thing to use.

View Profile of Monster Tiki Send a personal message to Monster Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-27 8:18 pm   Permalink

Looks like a great spot to relax n have a drink
Lookin good

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-27 9:45 pm   Permalink

Fabulous...nice to see how people blend Tiki in with their other passions.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-30 2:22 pm   Permalink

Monster,

I like! I'm jealous you have access at the in-law's to tiki carving. Not much here in NJ. Heading to FL in Nov, think they'd let me carry on a big one?!?!? (not)

Anyhow, keep the pictures coming. I for one can't get enough!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monster Tiki

Posted: 2012-07-31 09:04 am   Permalink

Some closeups of the artwork:

Some of our monsters on the staircase down to the basement.

I found a copy of this album at a yard sale in our neighborhood. It contains a picture book in the album cover. I decided to frame the cover, but keep the album out to enjoy the songs.

I also enjoy the mermaids of Weeki Wachee and have 2 photos of them displayed. Weeki Wachee is located about 45 min. north of Tampa, FL. It has an underwater mermaid show that takes place in a natural spring. The mermaids have airtubes they use as they perform. The audience sits in a viewing area which allows you to watch the underwater show through a big window.

A Jenny Hanover

Jenny's friend

A Shag print.

A pachinko machine on top of a display of monkey pod bowls.

The corner of the bar where you can encounter The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein's Monster and some strange tentacle reaching in through a porthole to try to get a tiki drink. Also some prints of Shag's bigfoot series.

The tentacle from another angle...see the slime?

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-31 09:40 am   Permalink

That is one freaky tiki bar!

I like it.

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2012-07-31 09:41 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TornadoTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-31 10:56 am   Permalink

Love the tentacle!

View Profile of TornadoTiki Send a personal message to TornadoTiki  Goto the website of TornadoTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-31 11:26 am   Permalink

3-D wall art -- Lovin' the tentacle especially!

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-31 12:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-27 07:23, Monster Tiki wrote:

Our house has an old odd style of light switch. I can't put a dimmer on them. I've not been able to find out much about them. The switches are small and in the basement workshop is some sort of panel which buzzes each time you press a light switch. I dread the day the system stops working. I think in 1965 it was considered the hot, new thing to use.

Is it like this?
Cool bar by the way!!!
http://retrorenovation.com/2009/07/17/gretchens-1961-ge-solenoid-system-lighting/

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-31 12:47 pm   Permalink

Here's some others.
While these may sound, look cool, They suck!
When the solinoid goes out the switch will go clunk but the light stays on.
Our solinoids are up in a small atic you can get to easily so I can't change it out.
You can get parts here.
http://www.kyledesigns.com/category/11_home_decor.2_low-voltage-lighting-systems/

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monster Tiki

Posted: 2012-07-31 7:06 pm   Permalink

Yes, Tikiship...that's our lightswitches. Most are the older GE version that's white and says off and on, but we have one that has the "newer" version that is brown. So far we've been lucky with them.
Thanks for sharing the links to the info.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-31 7:47 pm   Permalink

It's not the switch that goes bad, I guess they can crack.
But it's the mechanical relays that quit working.
Good luck!!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation