FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food New Zealand Wine....the Wine of Tiki?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
New Zealand Wine....the Wine of Tiki?
Tiki Baron
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-21 3:44 pm   Permalink

So a good friend of mine "curious" about Tiki Culture (meaning by Christmas he'll be a mug collector) said that he is primarily a wine drinker...and is wine or any wines considered part of the culture? Seeing how Rum is *normally the main alcohol attached to most Tiki Drinks. I said that since New Zealand is considered home to some of the Pacific Rim Cultures and I presume has Tiki Statues on them...that New Zealand wine should count. Any input?

MM

View Profile of Tiki Baron Send a personal message to Tiki Baron      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-22 08:52 am   Permalink

Tell him if he drinks it out of a Moai Mug, then his wine is Tiki!

He could also mix his Mouton Rothschild 50/50 with Shasta Tiki Punch and that would be Tiki as well.

I may be mistaken, but Franzia is also Tiki in some parts of California.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 10:55 am   Permalink

When I was passing through Chile on the way home from Easter Island a few years ago, I found a nice Chilean wine called Miguel Torres Santa Digna. The label (of the 1998 vintage, at least) had a nice painting of some Moai on it. Certainly, if there is Tiki-approved wine to be had, this is it. I aimagine that a careful search of New Zealand will produce a winery with a similarly influenced lable...?

I'd post a pic of the Torres, but there's no time today - I am on my way out the door for my drive to the Hukilau! See you all there!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-06-24 11:02 am   Permalink

THIS is tiki wine:

http://www.mauiwine.com/whites.html

Hawaiian Pineapple wine! What's that sound? Is that Weird Uncle I hear screaming in horror in the distance? I bought a bottle of the pinapple wine flavored with Passion Fruit at Cost Plus some time ago. Drinking it plain will give you a cavity, but I made a great drink with it. Can't remember wat it was, but I think it was some of this with a splash of lime, light rum, and Cointreau, shaken and strained. It was tasty! Martiki sez check it out.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 10:37 pm   Permalink

Tiki Baron,

Interesting question. Surely, New Zealand is one of the great Tiki Meccas. I had the good fortune of visiting a winery while I was there and I was quite impressed. The tiki spirit was with me as I sipped those fabulous young wines! We were on the North Island and it reminded me very much of the vineyards in Napa and the metro area of Auckland is very similar to Seattle.

I guess if there is a label that has a Maori image on it, that would be considered tiki but to say that New Zealand wine should count because New Zealand has a tiki culture would be like saying that California wine should count for the same reason.

As far as Chile is concerned, they have Pisco which is produced from grapes and one of our favorites comes in a cool bottle shaped in the image of the Moai. I would definitely consider this Tiki and there are some great recipes in the Grog Log that call for it.

So long story short, I would consider New Zealand wine tiki if:

1. It comes in a Maori shaped bottle
-or
2. If it comes with a label with a tiki on it
-or
3. If there is drink in the Grog Log or elsewhere that calls for wine (I'm unaware of one but I'm sure someone here will know).
-or
4. If he can somehow obtain one of those cool Trader Vic's Morgan Stem wine glasses (the Tiki Holy Grail!) and drink his fine New Zealand wine from that (we should all be so lucky!).
-or
5. Just say f**k it, and pour his wine into his favorite tiki mug and call it a day!

Cheers!

Uncle Arty

IN THE ZEN OF STEN

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2003-06-24 22:39 ]

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 11:14 pm   Permalink

I don't know about Tiki wine from NZ, but you gotta give props to Cloudy Bay....

Aloha,

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 12:33 am   Permalink

Quote:
Hawaiian Pineapple wine! What's that sound? Is that Weird Uncle I hear screaming in horror in the distance?

Not yet. I'll poo-poo no wine until I've quaffed a cup. (Make your own joke here!). Really, I'm less snobby about wines than I am about cocktails. Strange, but I guess that's why I remain...

Weird Uncle Tiki

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 05:04 am   Permalink

If you drink it out of one of those Morgantown glass tiki goblets (I beleive they are described as 'The holy grail' in the BOT) ...then it would be OK!

Something tells me I'm not going to find them at the Sally Ann anytime soon...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 8:38 pm   Permalink

Here is a picture and article about the Pisco Bottle that Stentiki was talking about. I must find me one of those.

http://www.nightclub.com/magazine/February99/beverage.html

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-25 8:45 pm   Permalink

And here is a place you can order it.

http://store.yahoo.com/randalls/rws17134.html

Not a bad price ($19.99), but the shipping for one bottle is $11. Hmpf.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-26 11:25 am   Permalink

littlegiles,

go ahead and order it (c'mon, everybody's doin' it!). it will likely be the only bottle of pisco you will ever purchase. in my humble experience, a little pisco goes a long way...

p.s. the pisco sour is better with lime than it is with lemon.

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-28 02:18 am   Permalink

I also recommend the 'ono maui wine from Tedeschi Winery. Not only is it from the islands, but any wine made from pineapples or passion fruit tastes like sunshine and is full of mana.

Definitely a tiki wine to be served while wearing a plumeria or hibiscus blossom.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikikiwi

Posted: 2004-02-19 8:49 pm   Permalink

This must be the ultimate tiki drink, surely....

http://www.ti-toki.com/

I remember my folks had a dusty bottle sitting in the back of the cocktail cabinet for years - can't say I recall the flavour, but I guess it's what you'd call an acquired taste...

View Profile of tikikiwi Send a personal message to tikikiwi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-19 9:07 pm   Permalink

Without a doubt, a tiki elixir served in a most appropriate tiki carafe.

Outstanding post, Tikikiwi.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-19 9:44 pm   Permalink

I'm not too much of a wino but, we stumbled across some Judds Hill that was pretty Tiki to me! Solo a bottle of the Pinot and you'll feel like your in paradise!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation