FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars My new Hut..the Decorating has started...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
My new Hut..the Decorating has started...
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-27 1:08 pm   Permalink

So for 11 years this was my hut. It was the only 8x8, but it was my place to smoke cigars, watch tv, and escape. I was even lucky enough to have it in an issue of tiki magazine....

About 9 months ago I sold my house and moved to Yucaipa. I left the shell of the hut behind for a shed, bringing all the decorations and cool stuff with me.

So now its time for a new hut..... its a slow process, doing most of it myself or with my dad. My contractor buddy helped me with the framing..or I helped him actually.... 99% of the electricity, speaker wire, and remote light controller is all in. All the bare wood outside has been primered. Next will be paint and the corrugated metal roof.
This hut is 16x20. It will have real working porthole windows. The closet door inside will be a 1950-60's navy interior ship door.
The plan will be more "trading post" than trader vics...I have always enjoyed the idea of mixing nautical, tiki, and 1900's-1930's british/french colony
Here's a few pics so far... (don't expect anything to cool yet...lol)

these beams are a tribute (or copy depending on way you think) of the beam that sticks out over the Dole Whip shack at the Tiki room in Disneyland....

My navy door

Thats it for now..... Long long long long long way to go... so many ideas and thoughts, so little time and money...lol

[ This Message was edited by: ErichTroudt 2014-09-17 14:33 ]

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-27 1:18 pm   Permalink

Erich that is fantastic! I really like the outrigger beams on the roof trusses.

Best of luck, and thanks for the pictures, keep them coming!

Chris
WestADad

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-27 1:48 pm   Permalink

Wow! You've more than doubled the size. This ought to be fun to watch.

Congrats on the new project. It's really looking good so far!

Keep the pics coming when you can.

Cheers!!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bloody Good
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-27 2:50 pm   Permalink

Awesomeness!! Can't wait to see pics of the new hut, the old one looked sweet!

View Profile of Bloody Good Send a personal message to Bloody Good  Goto the website of Bloody Good     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-27 8:14 pm   Permalink

Sweet
Keep up da good work
Ya made me thirsty
Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2012-07-27 9:51 pm   Permalink

Oooooh....how exciting. I love the decor style you have planned and that door is off the hook. Have fun...looking forward to more pictures as you progress.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-28 12:51 am   Permalink

Very cool!! Looking forward for updates.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-30 2:19 pm   Permalink

Holy moly that thing is HUGE! Can't wait to see how it develops.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 2:45 pm   Permalink

Got the ship porch lights up and working.....This weekend the roof goes on...

Night shot...

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Derek Mitchell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-16 3:48 pm   Permalink

I take it you're up near Wildwood Canyon/Oak Glen area?

View Profile of Derek Mitchell Send a personal message to Derek Mitchell  Email Derek Mitchell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-16 4:10 pm   Permalink

real close to oak glen... trying to build a tropical place in the mountains with snow and bears.... lol

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-17 07:24 am   Permalink

That navy door is AWSOME!
Maybe you could use it inside as your booze cabinet door.
Great start.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-23 08:25 am   Permalink

AWesomeeee. love the steel door - keep on keeping on...if you need some ideas check out my hut blog...diy www.tikirancher.blogspot.com
cheers

View Profile of tikirancher Send a personal message to tikirancher  Email tikirancher Goto the website of tikirancher     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 4:15 pm   Permalink

slow going so far..working on interior walls and insulation. I got 1 of 3 porthole windows in and working. Didn't leak in the rain either!!!!
All the bamboo and tiki are still in the 100's of boxes waiting to be released...

Had a metal company make the outside portholes to exactly match the size and bolt pattern of the old ship portholes. I built a tunnel system between them.

I learned to if you take your torch and burn the zinc shiny nuts and bolts they will look gray, old and ugly real quick...which is exactly the look I wanted to match the porthole...

I know I know...hurry up with the tiki and bamboo....

VampiressRN

Posted: 2012-10-12 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quality takes time...looking good!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation