FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Hut....The inside done .... outside begins...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
The Hut....The inside done .... outside begins...
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-07 12:45 am   Permalink

My newest additions

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-07 2:55 pm   Permalink

Either of those tikis get a 'wow' - you know you've got a big room if it can accommodate a tiki bigger than you!

I like the cannibal one

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-07 3:43 pm   Permalink

Maori is around 7 ft. Luckily my beams are at 8 ft and the roof peaks up from there.

I'm not sure where I'm gonna put either one of them, but I had to have them.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-07 7:43 pm   Permalink

Love both of those tikis no matter what size.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-12 8:10 pm   Permalink

Cha Ching
Score

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-13 01:23 am   Permalink

WOW! Both are cool but that Maori one is to die for. For me it's like either a tiki like that or my wife, haha. Can you tell us a little more of the background of both tiki. Erich you lucky dog.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-14 10:33 am   Permalink

Thanks

What I've gathered so far...

The maori tiki is exactly like the one in the old Jungle & Sea Imports catalog that was in there showroom. Hang10 found another one in a hotel lobby in hawaii somewhere that was stained darker. The Tonga Lei restaurant had one too, except it had 4 fingers instead of 3. Who carved them originally, I don't know. The bottom is carved "hencho in mexico". So it seems Jungle & Sea Imports claims of importing items from all over the South Pacific might have been stretched slightly lol.

The cannibal is really close to the one at the Kon Tiki Cleveland. Not the same one, but no doubt carved by the same person. Happy Buddah made mention of a hispanic carver who did cannibals. I searched around and came up with the name Demetrio Chavez. Maybe he carved it, maybe not. I think this is going to require a trip to oceanic Arts to ask Bob and Leroy.

Supposedly both tikis were in a liquor store in LA area in the 60's. From there 2 dr's had them in their house. I bought them the guy who bought them from the dr's.
The only LA liquor store I can come up with so far is in this link
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47899&forum=1&hilite=liquor%20store%20park

So thats what I know so far.

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-15 11:35 am   Permalink

Thanks Erich for the interesting info. Appreciate it.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-18 04:18 am   Permalink

LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation