[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Bar Rescue: Pirate Bar episode
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Bar Rescue: Pirate Bar episode
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-13 4:14 pm   Permalink

For a few moments of entertainment read the rebuttals to YELPers comments on the Piratz Bar location.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-13 11:06 pm   Permalink

Last season they were in Yorba Linda at The Canyon Inn, Angels Sports Bar in Corona, and a place in Redondo Beach, CA.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-canyon-inn-yorba-linda

There are full online episodes here:
http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/is6m7q/bar-rescue-murphys-mess-season-2-ep-203

Some of the owners are too stubborn to take good advice, even though they are losing thousands of dollars per month.

Jon Taffer has to get angry at the beginning so that there is growth and change during the show. There has to be a struggle that is overcome, it is basic story telling.

I think he does a fantastic job, and sets the owners up for success. He analyzes the markets the bars are in, formulates a market niche for the bars, and provides training.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 05:00 am   Permalink

Some well thought out comments....now my 2 cents. I feel that yes, it is TV and somewhat "dramatic" and overblown with "intensity", but these owners are FAILING. Having spent my life in the business (and have had my share of bumps and bruises) I know one thing....if your service, drinks, and food suck, theme and concept mean nothing. You can be Tiki/Pirate/Old West/British Pub/Green Local Sourced Farm to Frickin Table/Whatever...if it's not operated like a business, it will FAIL. I truly do not think that "insiders" are against Tiki, I think not that many have done it right. I read what you lucky folks that have Tiki bars and restaurants around them say and you are usually spot on. The good ones survive and the bad ones don't. Understand your concept (with concept proper drinks and food) and have EXCELLENT SERVICE and you will grow. I remember the old saying in this biz..."you can't eat atmosphere". Thank you for this great site. OGR

[ This Message was edited by: Or Got Rum? 2012-08-14 05:02 ]

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 05:17 am   Permalink

Oh yea, one more thing...You have to have great CLEANING and SANITATION. Keep your Fryer oil FRESH-a huge pet peeve of mine...oh shit I could go on forever...Thanks! OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 05:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-14 05:00, Or Got Rum? wrote:
Some well thought out comments....now my 2 cents. I feel that yes, it is TV and somewhat "dramatic" and overblown with "intensity", but these owners are FAILING. Having spent my life in the business (and have had my share of bumps and bruises) I know one thing....if your service, drinks, and food suck, theme and concept mean nothing. You can be Tiki/Pirate/Old West/British Pub/Green Local Sourced Farm to Frickin Table/Whatever...if it's not operated like a business, it will FAIL. I truly do not think that "insiders" are against Tiki, I think not that many have done it right. I read what you lucky folks that have Tiki bars and restaurants around them say and you are usually spot on. The good ones survive and the bad ones don't. Understand your concept (with concept proper drinks and food) and have EXCELLENT SERVICE and you will grow. I remember the old saying in this biz..."you can't eat atmosphere". Thank you for this great site. OGR

[ This Message was edited by: Or Got Rum? 2012-08-14 05:02 ]

well said - although i didn't hear any well thought out comments (other than your own) like you did here. All i heard was a bunch of folk that know alot about tiki and nothing about bar/restaurant ownership, ganging up, bad mouthing the host of the show, who, incidentally, happens to know what he's talking about. In he abrasive? yes, but in order to get through to these bone-headed bar owners, you have to be.

that said, the redondo beach episode was on last night - it's the old "tony's on the pier" place.... That old tiki structure still had a great shape from the outside but it became the dreadful Kilkenny pub- to be later renamed The Breakwall by the shows end...... It's such a cool structure, would have been great to revamp it as a tiki bar from it's former glory days.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-08-14 06:16 am   Permalink

Tipsy, the Redondo Location is across the pier from Old Tony's and up and over from what was new Tony's next to EL Torito. I was there recently and that side of the pier is getting a remodel and it looks like the Breakers is gone or at least their sign is. Old Tony's is still there and still cool.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 10:25 am   Permalink

Well, if the guy knows anything about the industry, I haven't seen any sign of it yet. From what I've seen, he takes people who are completely over their heads and mostly clueless and then dispenses what amounts to "no-shit-Sherlock" kind of advice in a loud, abusive way. He then brings in fancy industry people who teach them to make high end food and cocktails that are way beyond their capability to execute (conveniently using the ingredients of show sponsors). He then re-decorates the restaurant in a theme that is cold and corporate and sure to turn off any of what little existing clientele that they may have had. He then packs the restaurant with people corralled especially for the opening night event, claims success and rides off into the sunset.

And I know that this is reality TV, so that there is tons of manipulation and behind-the-scenes stuff that we don't see and the stuff that we do see has been edited to follow a certain "script". And that redecoration takes months of planning and rarely occurs "overnight" like we are led to believe. I just find it interesting that being executive producer and having control over what is being shown, he still allows himself to be shown as such a loudmouthed jerk.

Personally, it's one of my few guilty pleasures. It's like watching a car wreck where hapless, clueless deer-owners are being run over by a brain-dead, loud-mouthed truck driver.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation