Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Ironwood
Ironwood
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-31 5:52 pm   Permalink

I picked up a small piece of Ironwood (Olneya tesota). I think it's a protected species and may be illegal to collect so I won't say how I got it

Probably not the best wood for a new carver but anyone have tips for working with it? I've seen carvings done of it in Mexico that have beautiful dark grain and a mirror-like finish.

Here it is "floating" in water. It has a desity of 1.2, similar to Lignum Vitae or Ebony and about twice as dense as Walnut

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-31 6:15 pm   Permalink

Just make sure its not toxic or a rash causing wood before you dive in. There's no limit to its desired finish. You can get this to 1000 grit! Its heavy and very dense.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-31 6:51 pm   Permalink

wow...

that's amazing looking...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 06:20 am   Permalink

Rotary tools are maybe more appropriate than chisels. Contact Benzart.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-01 10:10 am   Permalink

McTiki, that is a good point. Certain wood dusts make me wheeze, especially redwood and any hardwood ~ I should probably wear a mask.

Tom, that's what I figured ~ treat it more like bone or stone. I think I'm going to try a Hei Matau, that may be within the scope of my limited skill set. I'll need to do some research to find how to do the lashing.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 10:22 am   Permalink

I found a guide of sorts, but, it doesn't contain the Iron wood genus (Sideroxylon)family. It does have alot of others common to us rotary & chisel guys though.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 4:48 pm   Permalink

great color

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-01 7:43 pm   Permalink

The piece I sliced off has some lighter colored heartwood which could make some nice color variation. I drew out a simple hook, let's see what happens

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 10:05 pm   Permalink

Ironwood is beautiful, used on a lot of custom guitars. Hopefully the piece you got was from proper sourcing, it's the wild stuff that is off limits.

Just don't waste it That's a nice looking piece, you should be able to make some great stuff out of it.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-03 04:13 am   Permalink

wow that looks amazing!

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/desert-ironwood/
No definite toxic effects listed here but probably safe to wear a mask if you're going to use power tools...

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
savoy6
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-04 8:34 pm   Permalink

it's a type of hornbeam..if that helps any...alot of native american tribes used this wood specifically for arrow shafts because of it's rigidity and hardness....

View Profile of savoy6 Send a personal message to savoy6      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-25 07:08 am   Permalink

This wood is better Machined than carved as it will wreck a set of chisels if not careful. Thats why most of the pieces you see are smooth with very little detail It can be polished to a mirror finish . Tom was correct in using rotary tools though fine detail can be sharpened up with knives and chisels. Good luck, take your time and Have FUN!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation