FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Iniki, Kauai, HI (bar) (now open)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Tiki Iniki, Kauai, HI (bar) (now open)
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-18 7:36 pm   Permalink

Just a second hand review; my friends just came back from a trip and tried Tiki Iniki about a week ago. They said it looked great, as expected, but they were a little disappointed with the drinks. They sat at the bar so were able to watch their drinks being made and were initially impressed - they said it looked like the bartenders were really taking care and doing everything right. But when they tasted them, they just weren't as good as expected. Not bad; just that they looked like they'd be a bunch better. On their visit, they thought the Zombie was better than the Mai Tai, but that nothing was as good as they'd get at Frankie's. They didn't eat there, so opinion on the food.

Just figured I'd pass it along since reviews are still fairly scant.

Hopefully the $15 a pop per drink will help get Ben taken care of soon!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 9:04 pm   Permalink

I have been paid in full now.

Everyone go enjoy Tiki Iniki.

aloha Tiki fans!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2013-12-05 10:56 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 9:20 pm   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 9:52 pm   Permalink

I hope the pressure we applied was helpful & glad to hear your kids
will get a pair of new shoes this year Ben!

But I am still not going to replace those Todd Rundgren L.P.s I burnt.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 9:04 pm   Permalink

Oh dear. I just saw this post in a travel forum:

Tiki Iniki now has whats called Manic Mondays where they have $2 off mai tais, mojitos and Moscow Mules. They also play 80's music so for all you lovers of 80's music, rat up your hair and put your shoulder pads back in your shirts and try Tiki Iniki.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-07 7:57 pm   Permalink

>>I have been paid in full now. <<

I have no idea how I missed seeing this before (especially since I was clearly in this thread!)
But I'm am really excited to have this confirmed.

One month til we get to see it!

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-08 8:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-07 19:57, bamalamalu wrote:
>>I have been paid in full now. <<

I have no idea how I missed seeing this before (especially since I was clearly in this thread!)
But I'm am really excited to have this confirmed.

One month til we get to see it!

Have fun over there Bama!!! Tell them I said Hi and No Hard Feelings. Seeing pics it looks like they are having fun! Aloha!! BB

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 9:02 pm   Permalink

So, after a year and half of anticipation, we finally got to make our visit to Tiki Iniki last week.

First things first: it's is indeed another fine display of artistry by Bamboo Ben! The place looks great - every surface covered with something cool. We were there in the afternoon and it was a little unusual having so much daylight coming in from all the windows, but I'm guessing that's what they wanted. At any rate, it looks great.

As for the drinks... Sorry to say were were disappointed. Even though our friends had told us their Mai Tais weren't great on their visit, I figured it was the thing to try. Wish I'd gone for the Zombie instead. The Mai Tai recipe on the menu looks right, but the drink itself tasted like Sprite. I'm not sure what they did wrong, but it was a big let down. The other drink we tried, The Iniki, had more flavors but also wasn't super impressive (I'm not a champagne fan at all, which may unfairly bias my opinion on that one.)

We saw two bartenders while we were there and believe both were pretty new employees - both were clearly reading recipes. At one point someone at the bar ordered a Lemon Drop, and the bartender pulled out his phone to look up the recipe. So, a little less expertise than we were hoping for. I think the right idea is there in the recipes, but unfortunately the execution was lacking.

We planned to stay for a second drink, but we'd arrived a few minutes after 'lunch' ended so weren't allowed to order of the lunch menu. It was almost 2 hours until the dinner menu would be available, and the only thing offered at that time was a really skimpy Happy Hour menu. Having just come from Tahiti Nui, we needed real food and couldn't get it. We ended up bailing out and heading back to the Feral Pig in Lihue for food and a better Mai Tai. We fully intended to make another stop at Tiki Iniki later in the trip, but the next time we were up there they weren't open yet and the day was a complete wash-out with heavy rain, so we ended up heading back East/South again.

We'll give them another shot next time we're on Kauai, whenever that may be. But based on our brief visit, we'd have to say that at this point, it seems to be pretty much all style (great decor) and no substance (duds for drinks.)

Agh - my camera's acting up, but I'll post a few pictures in the next couple days.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 07:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-18 21:02, bamalamalu wrote:
So, after a year and half of anticipation, we finally got to make our visit to Tiki Iniki last week.

First things first: it's is indeed another fine display of artistry by Bamboo Ben! The place looks great - every surface covered with something cool. We were there in the afternoon and it was a little unusual having so much daylight coming in from all the windows, but I'm guessing that's what they wanted. At any rate, it looks great.

As for the drinks... Sorry to say were were disappointed. Even though our friends had told us their Mai Tais weren't great on their visit, I figured it was the thing to try. Wish I'd gone for the Zombie instead. The Mai Tai recipe on the menu looks right, but the drink itself tasted like Sprite. I'm not sure what they did wrong, but it was a big let down. The other drink we tried, The Iniki, had more flavors but also wasn't super impressive (I'm not a champagne fan at all, which may unfairly bias my opinion on that one.)

We saw two bartenders while we were there and believe both were pretty new employees - both were clearly reading recipes. At one point someone at the bar ordered a Lemon Drop, and the bartender pulled out his phone to look up the recipe. So, a little less expertise than we were hoping for. I think the right idea is there in the recipes, but unfortunately the execution was lacking.

We planned to stay for a second drink, but we'd arrived a few minutes after 'lunch' ended so weren't allowed to order of the lunch menu. It was almost 2 hours until the dinner menu would be available, and the only thing offered at that time was a really skimpy Happy Hour menu. Having just come from Tahiti Nui, we needed real food and couldn't get it. We ended up bailing out and heading back to the Feral Pig in Lihue for food and a better Mai Tai. We fully intended to make another stop at Tiki Iniki later in the trip, but the next time we were up there they weren't open yet and the day was a complete wash-out with heavy rain, so we ended up heading back East/South again.

We'll give them another shot next time we're on Kauai, whenever that may be. But based on our brief visit, we'd have to say that at this point, it seems to be pretty much all style (great decor) and no substance (duds for drinks.)

Agh - my camera's acting up, but I'll post a few pictures in the next couple days.

MAhalos for the compliments on the decor Bama!

Unfortunately I only build them and don't run them

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 6:01 pm   Permalink

It's a great room to be in; hopefully they'll get the hang of making the drinks!

Here are some daytime shots of Ben's handiwork:

Bar area as seen from the booth

Back Bar

No white ceilings!

Booth

Bar area from above

Upstairs area (for some reason it was cluttered with supplies that day)

Outdoor area

Wish were there now to give them another try!

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 7:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-22 18:01, bamalamalu wrote:
Bar area as seen from the booth

Ah, you were in the Coco Palms booth! (Note the tribute arches)

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 8:34 pm   Permalink

A-ha!! I knew that looked familiar (Doy!)
I'll be posting my Coco Palms photos soon!

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 9:45 pm   Permalink

Nice pics Bama!

One thing that drives me crazy is I built the back bar shelves to have risers but it looks like they never used them. Oh well. You win some and lose some. ( everything in tiki needs layers and details!!!)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 9:49 pm   Permalink

p.s. And the open kitchen was not my idea. No white or bright in tiki!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation