FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel best spots in hawaii?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
best spots in hawaii?
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 5:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-07 12:58, bigbrotiki wrote:
I don't see Kona mentioned much here

A very poignant moment in history and of shifting in how the Hawaiian people were allowed to practice their beliefs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuamoo_Burials

Kekuaokalani and his wife Manono were among the dead, after he had fallen she had rushed into the battlefield and taken up his place in the fight dressed in his battle garb, the troops seeing that their chief was still fighting, carried on the fight to no avail.
The temples were deconstructed soon after this and the idols (Tiki) were burned, except for the ones that were spirited away and hidden by the remaining followers of the old religion.
This chant and an accompanying Hula are devoted to Manono.
http://www.huapala.org/Chants/E_Manono.html

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-07 6:03 pm   Permalink

Shameless self promotion - the reason I haven't been slinging the clay for the past (gulp) half year or so is every second I'm not drawing I have been building this in my backyard!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/591375

Will have better photos up next week (photographer is coming by on saturday) - the current photos are of the hut being constructed.

I'm sure we can work out a Tiki Central discount!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 6:27 pm   Permalink

so if hawaii isnt really the origin and home of tiki, where does it come from? how did it get to hawaii. based on what ive been seeing and reading, it seems as if its more of a CA thing that was brought to hawaii.

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 7:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-07 18:27, nomeus wrote:
so if hawaii isnt really the origin and home of tiki, where does it come from? how did it get to hawaii. based on what ive been seeing and reading, it seems as if its more of a CA thing that was brought to hawaii.

For a primer on Hawaiian Culture see here:
http://www.hawaiihistory.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=ig.page&CategoryID=1

What we practice here is "Mid Century polynesian Cocktail culture" , Which has its roots in California

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt. R.H. Falernum
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 7:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing those photos, Sven! They are beautiful and easily make one fall in love with Kona all over again.

View Profile of Capt. R.H. Falernum Send a personal message to Capt. R.H. Falernum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 7:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-07 19:29, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Quote:

For a primer on Hawaiian Culture see here: http://www.hawaiihistory.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=ig.page&CategoryID=1

What we practice here is "Mid Century polynesian Cocktail culture" , Which has its roots in California

which im a big fan of and was hoping to combine the two during a trip to hawaii. my noobness is clearly showing however. maybe i need to go to tahiti or the polynesian islands??

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 8:11 pm   Permalink

Which Island nomeus, We can point you in the right direction.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 8:20 pm   Permalink

i havent gotten that far. was hoping to island hop around the hawaiian islands and do the "must see" spots. still trying to find out where the quiet, out of the way places are for lodging. if it has the name sheraton, hilton in it, im staying away!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 8:35 pm   Permalink

Check out the Tiki Travel thread for lots of info: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewforum.php?forum=16&6524

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 9:00 pm   Permalink

Thank you Alii to enlighten us about the history of that sacred spot, I am fascinated by that place, and the believers' valor in the face of inevitable loss.

Quote:

Who said that? You are partially correct, but one has to differentiate: America's love affair for Hawaii, with all its intriguing history and art, was THE important factor that INSPIRED the mainland Tiki style. But more than that, American Tiki style encompassed not only Hawaiian, but ALL Polynesian island arts and culture -in a purely popular manner, so it became Polynesian Pop.

In the mid- to late 50s, the TIKI became the symbol of this popular mainland fad, thus marking the beginning of TIKI STYLE: Because of America being so far away from the original source, American developers and designers felt free to interpret and embellish the original art forms, with authenticity becoming secondary, and thus a pop culture genre of its own was created.

The artists in the Hawaiian Islands had to be more culturally sensitive to create anything else but close-to-the-original reproductions of the Idols - if they did it at all. All the other Hawaiian symbols - the Hula girl, the palm tree, pineapple, palm hut, outrigger, ukelele, flower leis, were freely commercialized as souvenirs. But that form of tourist culture is not unique, it is created by any vacation destination country.

That is why I am saying that Hawaiiana like the HULA GIRL are not "Tiki" per se - they are, and, (especially before the term "Tiki Style" ever existed), always were....a Hawaiian Hula girl, a palm tree, a pineapple, etc...

What I am warning you about is that American midcentury "TIKI" is hard to find in Hawaii, (as are good examples of its Tiki Revival) - but its sources are fun to discover, and the rest is not too shabby either, as one can see in my previous photo thread.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-08-07 21:33 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 9:35 pm   Permalink

a little off subject but.. im reading that some dont like mai tai with pineapple juice in it. i dont know much about mixology but i would think a mai tai would have pineapple juice?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 9:45 pm   Permalink

A Traditional Mai Tai has only lime juice, The Island version uses Pineapple & Orange juice

Most places that serve a Mai Tai (Outside of a real Tiki Bar or Rum Bar) usually serve a fruit juice version

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 9:50 pm   Permalink

does that mean trader vics was lime juice? i read that there is some kind of battle between vics drink and beachcombers drink

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 10:59 pm   Permalink

Yes. The original Trader Vic Mai Tai only had lime juice as ATP mentioned. There has always been an argument about who invented the Mai Tai. Most have concluded, including myself, That Victor Bergeron(Trader Vic) invented the Mai Tai and that Donn Beach(Don the beachcomber) invented the Zombie. Two iconic exotic cocktails.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 11:21 pm   Permalink

i had 1 zombie at disneys polynesian village tiki bar, tambu, and let me tell you something....i dont remember getting over to the magic kingdom and in the park

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation