FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Tikis from Trader Vic's Chicago to be auctioned
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tikis from Trader Vic's Chicago to be auctioned
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-08-07 1:10 pm   Permalink

From the Chicagoist.com:

Want To Buy a Real Trader Vic's Tiki?

"The auction, which begins on August 22, includes more than 35 items, including full-sized tikis, end tables, lamps, masks and giant pacific clamshells."

Edit - link fixed

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2012-08-07 13:45 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 1:13 pm   Permalink

Looks like they deleted the page.......

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 1:15 pm   Permalink

Try this one: http://chicagoist.com/2012/08/07/want_to_buy_a_real_trader_joes_tiki.php

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-08-07 1:31 pm   Permalink

Direct link to the Auction site:
http://catalogues.lesliehindman.com/asp/search.asp?st=U&view1=View&sale_value=210++++

Search "Forthcoming Sales" for "Tiki" and/or "Trader".

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 1:39 pm   Permalink

Some nice original stuff, but also some recent Asian imports, so the values are kind of arbitrary

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 4:04 pm   Permalink

only the barney west and the small black tiki with boobs are from the trader vics palmer house.... the rest are indonesian asian imports.

I will add that the barney west has signifigant damage (large splits and cracks) due to being left out in the harsh chicago winter the first year the new traders was open. There are a couple more that have suffered some large dings and dents.

Looks like they cleaned and shined them all up - last i saw them in march(?) they were all dusty and dull, in situ in the then closed traders....

..and who is rob christopher, tiki enthusiast, and why have I never hear of him till now ??

.. and last time I checked, it's highly illegal to sell tortoise shells, at least in this state. Big no-no....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2012-08-07 16:24 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
randomcha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-08 06:47 am   Permalink

Ha, I think you know who I am by now, Tipsy Refresher: http://chicagoist.com/2011/07/01/the_sad_story_of_trader_vics_in_chi.php

Oddly enough this auction is on my birthday. I don't think my blood is rich enough for most of what the items will go for, but I think I'll check it out anyway.

View Profile of randomcha Send a personal message to randomcha  Email randomcha Goto the website of randomcha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 11:12 am   Permalink

Nice article, Randomcha!

Ya know what's kinda funny, is that the auction house actually sought me out and contacted me at my Tiki Shop about this upcoming auction a few days ago. How'd I get the reputation as the "go to guy" for tiki that they called me instead of the obvious real-life Tiki "Gods" like Sven, Bosko, Danny, et al?

I thought at first that it might be that they found my facebook page for my shop,
www.facebook.com/TikiLeesTikiShop (if you care to visit), but they called me at the new location of the Charleston Antique Mall where my Tiki Shop USED to be and asked for "The Tiki Guy". Wierd. I guess 10 years of being "The Tiki Guy" in Vegas gets around!

Anyway, here's the DIRECT LINK to the auction pages featuring the Tiki's that they sent me:

http://catalogues.lesliehindman.com/asp/search.asp?st=U&view1=View&sale_value=210++++&pg=60&ps=10

That'll make it easier to find the goodies...

The auction "terms" are 22% percent buyers premium ADDED to the winning bid if you are there, 24% if you are a phone, absentee, or internet bidder. Local pick-up is preferred, as they do not ship. However they have several shippers that they recommend listed on their website. You can expect to pay about $150 to $300 per tiki to ship these heavy mothers! Chicago-area folks, I'm envious!

BTW, BigBro, besides the two that Tipsy said were from the Palmer House, which of the others are from the old location, or just "older"? I'm curious to see if my "guesses" are correct!

I'll be watching the auction on-line... I hope one of us "TCer's" gets the good stuff!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 11:56 am   Permalink

After looking at them again, and after Typsy's post, I must say he's probably right: Most of them are fairly recent "Poly-Asian", even the traditional post looking ones, except for the "Tiki Jardiniere", and the Barney Moai. I would not pay more than 150. - bucks for that non-vintage wood, it has no real history.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 2:02 pm   Permalink

I suppose it's a good deal if you are local - 1) no need for shipping 2) your gonna pay the same price you would buying direct from one of these online places that sell asian/indonesian tikis and again you can skip shipping cost. 3) good way to fill in your tiki room or yard with some big tikis that would normally cost a small fortune otherwise..... at $300 - $400 bucks it's a good deal, some of these tikis are huge. for those in the midwest that can't make it out to the trader vics warehouse sales on the west coast, , i'd say this could be a good thing.

other than that, there's no reason to own any of this stuff.

@ rob - thanks , now I know.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-09 1:53 pm   Permalink

Boy, chicagoist must not pay very much. They call it Trader Joe's twice, in the link and the text:

"...we were informed on our pre-opening hard hat tour of the Chicago Trader Joe's that all of the tikis were from the original Palmer House location.."

That's some fine editin'!

Wankers.

TT

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-09 4:51 pm   Permalink

So let me get this straight Trader Vics is selling some stuff?
You TCers should post this news when you find out.
Like in every thread.:smile::smile:

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-22 2:13 pm   Permalink

auction over - everything sold for ridiculous amounts of money....

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-22 2:17 pm   Permalink

how are seven foot tiki carvings, "new poly-asian" or not ridiculous amounts of money when they sell for $500-$1200?

there's people on TC that spend more than that on "new poly-american" limited-edition mugs.

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-22 5:27 pm   Permalink

I think it's a West Coast/Midwest Coast thing.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation