FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Orgeat Taste Test -- the results are in!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Orgeat Taste Test -- the results are in!
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 06:53 am   Permalink

I conducted a taste test of 8 brands of orgeat and just posted the results on Professor Cocktail:

Taste Test: Orgeat (Almond Syrup)

The brands I tasted were:

B.G. Reynolds Orgeat
Fee Brothers Orgeat (Almond) Cordial
Monin Almond Orgeat
Routin 1883 Orgeat
Small Hand Foods Orgeat
Sonoma Syrup Vanilla Almond (Orgeat)
Teisseire Orgeat
Torani Almond Orgeat

Cheers!

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sir Richard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-15 1:22 pm   Permalink

Great comparison, thanks!

My homemade Orgeat looks like the Small Hand stuff. I've yet to try that one, but making Orgeat is so easy I probably won't have to.

Thanks again for an excellent shootout!

View Profile of Sir Richard Send a personal message to Sir Richard  Goto the website of Sir Richard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 1:30 pm   Permalink

The two times I've made it, my orgeat came out a dark brown. But now that I think of it, I used turbinado sugar, so it's not surprising that it was darker.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sir Richard
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-15 1:46 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I used white sugar. I had used Demerara sugar in a batch of Falernum and wasn't too happy with the extra bitterness that it brought to the party, so I was more conservative when I decided to try my hand at Orgeat.

I've made 2 batches of Orgeat, one with Rose Water and one with Orange Flower water. The one with Orange Flower water is just delicious (in my opine).

I am going to try the Small Hand product though. Looks like a nice recipe and right up my alley.

View Profile of Sir Richard Send a personal message to Sir Richard  Goto the website of Sir Richard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 3:34 pm   Permalink

I think I'll definitely use white sugar the next time. Keep it simple. And although I added some Rose Water the first time, I don't think I'd do that again. I'm not wild about it. Just the orange is enough, I think.

Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-19 11:31 pm   Permalink

I swear by all Small Hands food stuff

If you like her Orgeat, get some of the Pineapple gum syrup and follow her recipe for a Pina Colada, it will be the best pina colada you ever had

I generally use Flor de Cana 4 yr in it, however when I get some 5 Banks I will try that next

Doubt I have to say it but just the same, make sure you use Coco Lopez for the coconut cream

Side note, was there a particular reason you did not test Trader Tiki's Orgeat? I have heard some good things about it, however I doubt it beat the two small batch runs, but could be a 3rd best?

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-20 06:33 am   Permalink

Quote:
Side note, was there a particular reason you did not test Trader Tiki's Orgeat?

FYI..."Trader Tiki's" is the old name of "B.G. Reynolds"...had to change name due to legal issues.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-20 07:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-20 06:33, Rum Balls wrote:
Quote:
Side note, was there a particular reason you did not test Trader Tiki's Orgeat?

FYI..."Trader Tiki's" is the old name of "B.G. Reynolds"...had to change name due to legal issues.

ahh thanks, i must have missed that at some point

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-20 11:43 am   Permalink

I'm sure it's hard to find (it's certainly not easy here) but Giffard Orgeat from France is also very good, though I suspect it'd rank close to the Routin 1883. All it lists for ingredients are sugar syrup, water, flavor. Anyway, food for thought...

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 11:45 am   Permalink

I keep hoping that Giffard will get some distribution in the U.S., but nothing so far. Simon Difford always says great things about their products.

kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 12:53 pm   Permalink

Nice comparison, thanks for posting.
I think the Routin deserves much less, maybe a B-
I have the B.G. Reynolds, and while it tastes great, I think it lacks the bitter almond flavor that I associate with Orgeat, but who knows, maybe I am used to bad Orgeat?

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 11:37 pm   Permalink

There is also "Moulin de Valdonne" and many more in France.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bloody Good
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-22 09:48 am   Permalink

Has anybody tried using Orzata? I picked some up from an international food market for a Peach Juice I've been making, but have since been using it in my Mai Tais. I have been pretty pleased with the results.... however...
I haven't done much taste testing with others beside Torani, but I live in Portland so it shouldn't be hard for me to pick up some B.G. Reynolds

View Profile of Bloody Good Send a personal message to Bloody Good  Goto the website of Bloody Good     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-23 07:01 am   Permalink

Bloody Good, you can get BG Reynolds syrups all over the place here in Portland, including New Seasons grocery stores, many liquor stores, and at his own tiki bar opening up Wed 8/29 (Hale Pele, the former Thatch on NE Broadway). It can't get much easier than that!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bloody Good
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-23 08:34 am   Permalink

Thanks Rum Balls, I didn't know about New Seasons. I have been wanting to try his Falernum too. If we can find a sitter, I was totally planning on going to the opening of Hale Pele next Wed. I've been watching the updates on FB for the opening....can't wait. Do you know if he's making a new mug for the place?

View Profile of Bloody Good Send a personal message to Bloody Good  Goto the website of Bloody Good     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation