FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Orgeat Taste Test -- the results are in!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Orgeat Taste Test -- the results are in!
Luki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-24 6:44 pm   Permalink

Has anybody tried ordering the Small Hands products from Maxwell Street Trading Co. in Chicago?

I wrote to them about it but haven't heard back (was too busy at work today to call, ugh).

The raves sound too good to pass up!

View Profile of Luki Send a personal message to Luki  Goto the website of Luki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-27 07:01 am   Permalink

Quote:
Do you know if he's making a new mug for the place?

Bloody Good, I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I overheard an "affirmative" answer to that question during the "surprise" stop at Hale Pele on the Tiki Kon Sunday home bar tour earlier this month.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theoutoftownlocal

Posted: 2012-08-27 12:42 pm   Permalink

I use to make my own Orgeat, but found Ferrara Brand (they use the Orzata spelling, but they are the same)at Doris Italian Market. It's out of NY and made with sugar, not HFCS, and no artificial flavors. I find the taste works well in Mai Tais. I make a lot of home made syrups and liqueurs, the problem is using up the syrups before they turn strange. Orgeat happens to be one I don't use as often as others.

View Profile of theoutoftownlocal Send a personal message to theoutoftownlocal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 05:59 am   Permalink

I've never tried the Ferrara brand. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle one of these days. (I'm full up on orgeat right now!)

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bloody Good
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-28 10:51 am   Permalink

Rum Balls thats super cool, thanks again for the heads up. I think I found a sitter, so I'm hoping to make it to Hale Pele and get some syrups tomorrow!

View Profile of Bloody Good Send a personal message to Bloody Good  Goto the website of Bloody Good     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-15 9:34 pm   Permalink

I still so no recipes on this thread, gentlemen.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-20 5:15 pm   Permalink

I have a question semi-related to this topic. I've never had or even seen macadamia liqueur but I was wondering if making an orgeat using macadamia nuts instead of almonds would result in something that would be a suitable stand-in for it in the recipes in Remixed. Would it be too subtle? I just have no idea what I'm trying to mimic.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-21 04:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-20 17:15, poutineki wrote:
I have a question semi-related to this topic. I've never had or even seen macadamia liqueur but I was wondering if making an orgeat using macadamia nuts instead of almonds would result in something that would be a suitable stand-in for it in the recipes in Remixed. Would it be too subtle? I just have no idea what I'm trying to mimic.

Can you get Monin Macadamia Nut Syrup? It's a similar taste to that but obviously less sweet.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-21 09:33 am   Permalink

Trader Vic Macadamia Nut liqueur is pretty damn awesome stuff. I haven't thought of using it instead of orgeat, primarily because I always have some around. Might be an interesting experiment. I've seen people use Drambuie as an orgeat substitute as well. I would think that a liqueur would throw your ratios all off due to the alcohol content and the sweetness level. As well as the fact that even good orgeat is about a tenth the cost of liqueur.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-21 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-21 04:40, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Can you get Monin Macadamia Nut Syrup? It's a similar taste to that but obviously less sweet.

I can get that and compensating for additional sweetness wouldn't be hard. I'll check it out. Thanks!

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-22 5:02 pm   Permalink

when in doubt, i've substituted amaretto for orgeat...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 12:06 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have experience with how long B.G. Reynolds syrups keep? No preservatives in them, so I'd assume they need refrigeration. I'm going to buy a bottle or 2 of orgeat, which I figure I can use rapidly, but I also want to buy some Passion fruit Syrup and maybe Don's Mix and Spice #2, all of which would be used a lot less frequently. Thanks!

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-09 05:27 am   Permalink

BG syrups should be refrigerated after opening. I have a bunch of them in my mini-fridge, and they're holding out fine after several months. I don't think they'll last indefinitely, though, so I need to get crackin'...

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-09 06:05 am   Permalink

I do not refrigerate my store-bought Orgeat, I think it's probably chock-full of preservatives and it's time I get off my lazy ass and start making Orgeat from scratch... heh! But I do think the bottle may even clearly make the statement that no refrigeration is required, I'll have to go look later... But definitely, if I made my own Orgeat, I would not risk my labor-of-love and I would refrigerate it. I remember doing research a couple years ago online and reading about "almond milk" and some other almond derivatives and how they were highly favored through hundreds of years of history because they kept much longer than milk products and did not need refrigeration. Or something like that... But I'm a play-it-safe kind of guy with my syrups. Now, having said all that, two things about my other syrups:

1) All others are kept refrigerated once opened or made. This is primarily done for safety, flavor and quality stabilization. But several are hard to come by or a bit pricey and they get extra care and attention.
2) Within this refrigerated group, with the exception of my simple syrup because it's so easily made on-the-spot by aggressively blending and never heating, ALL my home-made syrups are stored with the addition of 1 or 2 ounces (depending on bottle size) of neutral grain spirit (Everclear) as a preservative for additional safety. This came about as a result of speaking with Jeff Berry back when I started making my first Falernums and started moving into making other syrups at home.

"Syrup care" is important especially when you start investing time and effort into making syrups and flavorings from scratch. My routines have evolved and no doubt will continue to evolve. I think the use of the neutral grain alcohol is a good tip from Jeff Berry, although it is a slight departure from the "purist" tendencies in me, but a practice which I have come to readily embrace. I consider the neutral alcohol preservative a practically inconsequential element in a finished cocktail -- I think more impact on flavor is generally made by either slightly over- or under-pouring any one of the other ingredients, or shaking too long, blending too long, etc.

I'm still developing and refining my home-made syrup repertoire. I'm very comfortable with Falernum and once a year have a "Falernum making party" at my house with two other friends who have taken quite a liking to that syrup. I think Orgeat is next on my list to try.

I'm interested in hearing other thoughts and comments on the above.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 2:26 pm   Permalink

I found the "official" answer to my own question. According to the B.G. Reynolds website (not their sale site http://okolemaluna.com/) the syrups can be refrigerated for up to 60 days once opened. Not too bad for a product with 0 preservatives.

AceExplorer, making your own orgeat is really easy. It just takes a bit of time to steep the various ingredients. I've been happy with my homemade orgeat when I've toasted the blanched and slivered almonds. Some recipes say to do it while others don't. Oh, I've also been really happy using orange blossom water instead of rose water.

Rumballs, do you like the syrups by B.G. Reynolds? Good value for the money?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTie 2012-11-09 14:27 ]

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation