FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » News and Troubles of Jürka's Tiki Factory
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
News and Troubles of Jürka's Tiki Factory
Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-19 4:04 pm   Permalink

Holy sh*t! Firing of those 17 pcs costs around 60 euros... 4,5 euros per piece, Ku is 3 euros, because they are shorter... Crazy... It's getting more and more expensive every day...

View Profile of Jürka Send a personal message to Jürka  Email Jürka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy Yeti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-24 10:45 am   Permalink

I've used #1 pottery plaster for years to cast a wide range of things, I love the stuff.

View Profile of Tipsy Yeti Send a personal message to Tipsy Yeti  Email Tipsy Yeti Goto the website of Tipsy Yeti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-26 3:55 pm   Permalink

For today my first firings are over and guys are feeling healthy (except the fallen soldier)...

To make sure that there would be no explosions I put them into oven for few hours (till 150 degrees of Celsius) as Mad Dog Mike advised. Although I guess this time it was not so necessary because guys had been grounded for 1 month.

Then I tried to clean them from dust as much as I could... but I tried more than I could... So... Here I would like to bend the head for one of the guys who shattered when I tried to hit the dust out of his eyes... That was a sad moment, he was a good-looking mug and I miss him dearly... I put him gently into the water and melted up to afford the new life for it in the future...

I brought them to kiln and today I received them, all healthy and strong. Got it all with only 40 euros (51 euros for 17 pcs, I lost 1 pc, so for 16 pcs = 40 euros... I love math! ...sometimes). I guess the ceramic guy who fired them just likes tikis...

And now the glazing... for first time in my lifetime... I opened the bucket, stirred it as it was rum-coctail... and started to glaze one Ku... The glaze dries very fast and looks like sh*t... Very fat and dry... and all the brushmarks are visible... and the coat is so thick that the face of Ku is not to be seen... I don't know if it's normal... My theory says that in kiln the glaze will melt to be smooth and all the face will be drawn out then... But I am not sure of anything... So this is a point I would like to hear glazing experiences of others... Here's my so-called "glazed" Ku...

View Profile of Jürka Send a personal message to Jürka  Email Jürka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-26 4:58 pm   Permalink

Hey Jürka! Looks like you are making progress!
One of the magical things about ceramics is how the glaze goes in looking so crappy and comes out all glossy and shiny. Yes, the glaze dries to an ugly powdery and somewhat rough coating. The brush marks should smooth out when fired. That being said there are still A LOT of variables: opaque vs transparent glazes, the consistency of the glaze when applied, how thick the glaze was applied to the ceramic, the speed and temperature at which it is fired, the quality of the glaze, etc.

Most people like to do test tiles with their glazes ~ glaze a carved or textured tiles and see what the glaze looks like when fired. If you don't do a test tile, I would surely recommend that you do just one mug first and see how it comes out.

Be sure there is no glaze on the bottom of the mug or it will fuse to the kiln shelf. The person firing your pieces should be a good resource too. He obviously knows about ceramics and can probably answer some of your questions.

Good luck Jürka, here's to your success.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-26 9:57 pm   Permalink

Thank you for the PM. Here's the help I promised.

I have a glaze test for every jar of glaze I have bought.

For the IN glazes by Duncan I wanted to see them go into the detail. So I made these L shaped pieces with a hole for hanging and pressed lines into the clay. They were bisque fired and I have a box of them ready to use when I buy glaze. I paint the glaze on 3 then 2 then 1 layers so I can see the difference the thickness of glaze will in how it looks. The ledge on the bottom give me a place to write the number of the glaze so I can see it when the tiles are hanging on the wall.

When you look at these strips you can see how well the IN glaze shows up the detail where the clay is indented.

Good luck, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2013-08-26 21:58 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-26 10:20 pm   Permalink

My test tile system isn't as sophisticated as Wendy's. I make round tiles and glaze them, then glue the finished tiles to the top of my glaze bottles. I don't have to worry about finding the bottle of glaze that goes with the tile I like since they are glued together But I don't have the single, double, and triple layers of glaze for comparison

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-27 12:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks for reply... I can't afford testing, cause every burning costs at least 20 euros, no matter how many things I burn... I don't have my own kiln... So... Must risk... I contacted the seller/burner and he advised to put the object into the water before glazing... I will see if he knows characteristics of this particular glaze...

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-27 1:37 pm   Permalink

After the bisque fire I scrub the inside and outside and then let it dry.

Then, I rinse mine in the sink before I glaze, or I spray it inside and out with water. But I've also forgotten to do this and had things turn out fine. But one particle of dust will cause your glaze to crawl away from it leaving a glaze skip. This can be re-glazed but that's costly.

Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-28 03:41 am   Permalink

Mjah... The seller says, that yeah, when it's in fat coat, it will cover the face propably... He advised to keep very thin coat on face-side... to rub it off with water-sponge...

Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-28 3:03 pm   Permalink

My Tiki Factory announces: the problem is solved! Brush is very wrong instrument for brushing, the sponge-Bob (dry!) is the right man in right place... Here's my silly-looking glazed tikis waiting for kiln to make some miracles with them... Kumuhonua should turn into brown and Ku should turn into beige. We'll see...

What could happen if the coat is thinner than the maker of glazes recommends? They say that 2...3 coats should be brushed, I used sponge and I used it for one time... and just as much that there would be no clear spots...

[ This Message was edited by: Jürka 2013-08-28 15:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jürka 2013-08-28 15:07 ]

Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-29 4:34 pm   Permalink

Glazing of those special backside mugs was not easy mission... I used many kinds of little instruments to do it... The thinnest wire was very useful... At first I... yeah, ok, right, at first I filled the cavity with red... and then I washed it all down, because that's not the way to do it... So... Then at first... I dabbed very carefully the surroundings with tiny little spongey... and then tried to fill the cavity with red... using tiny little wire and other tiny little stuff... and then smoothed it carefully with fingers... Many times I had to clean it up again and do it again and clean it up and do it again... My nerves are happy to know it's over now... And yeap, the result looks silly (pink and grey is just awful together!), but miracle-kiln will do miracles and I hope it will look much better...

But all the tiki corps is glazed now...

...and packed in soft stuff to prevent scratching off the glaze while transporting... Tomorrow I hope to send it to final kiln... and if everything goes fine, it would mean the birth of my first tikis... and propably the first tikis (at least tiki mugs) in the history of Estland and all the Baltic countries! Yih-haa!

Tipsy Yeti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-29 4:59 pm   Permalink

Anxious to see how these turn out, I'm glazing soon myself.

View Profile of Tipsy Yeti Send a personal message to Tipsy Yeti  Email Tipsy Yeti Goto the website of Tipsy Yeti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-29 5:55 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah... I really have no idea if it really looks as fancy as the picture in my head... Well, they should... I only hope that the brown glaze will not start run... That's my main fear right now...

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-29 8:59 pm   Permalink

Go! Jürka go!

Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-03 3:15 pm   Permalink

Hello, good morning, good evening, depends on which part of the world you are looking the sun...

Today I've done... pretty enough...

At first... Here's the next corps of my tikis waiting their birth... Maybe some minor cleaning and... oh yeah, the bottom carvings... yeap... and some, maybe one, special to make... and to the kiln...

I was thinking 'bout flying time and thought that must think for the future and started to make new molds for new mugs... So... there's Kanaloa and skull shot-mug waiting for mold... But the shot-mug is li'l smaller and it needs the box its own size... So I made the new, smaller, box for skull... This time li'l easier way... with screws... Got pretty well and easy to handle...

...and I poured the first part of mold...

...and in same time poured for Kanaloa...

...and then I thought that maybe I could do some more today and I poured also the second parts...

But that's not the peak of the day... I received my first corps from kiln... Here it is! Say "hello"...

I'm pretty much satisfied... No running of brown glaze what I was afraid of... Kumuhonua and Ku are perfect, but Lono, which I didn't expect any problems, is not so good... Green glaze requires thicker coat, otherwise there's awful brown spots... I send e-mail to the kiln-and-glaze guy and asked if there's possibility to put some more glaze on it and send to the next firing and maybe the new coat of glaze would melt together with old glaze and give the smooth green coat...

My specials of first corps... Good... I'm totally satisfied... Works very well... These are meant to be given away as presents... There's: 1) Dixie which I'm gonna give to the friend who lead me to inside of rock and roll lifestyle and must remember that through the rock and roll and hot rod culture I found out tiki culture... 2) Hibiscus which is made for someone very special, but I guess I may never have opportunity to hand it to her, so it propably will stay on my shelf... 3) Spade (hmm... red spade?!) is for my rock'n'roll-friend in Finland who was the first guy (the only guy so far... well, most of the people doesn't know anything about my project), who said he's gonna buy (not just get as some others would like) one of my mugs for sure...
But now there's a big trouble with Hibiscus... You can see a crack on the top part... I asked kiln-and-glaze-guy if it's possible to melt it up again to fix it... I hope it can be done, because I am convinced that if something is broken, and if it's important, it must be repaired and that's what I'm gonna do and not with only that mug...

And here's the example of the problem of green Lono... It is hard to see in this sh*tty picture, but yeah, there's some brown stuff seen which is not meant to be there...

And Wendy, yeah, I remember, I remember, will come, will come...

Now... There's another big problem... What-the-heck I'm gonna put in this mug!?!? Me knows not a thang 'bout that coctailstuff... I have no any bottles of rum nor juice at home, no ice in freezer, even no straws nor umbrellas (which I'm gonna buy for sure when I happen to go big-town) and I've never mixed any other thangs than brandy and cola... F*ck, life is going to get tough... and fun I hope...

[ This Message was edited by: Jürka 2013-09-03 15:27 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation