FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-19 4:52 pm   Permalink

My Pool Lounge (ki'o wai lumi ho'olunana)

I figured would start a thread to document my progress maybe pick up a few more ideas. I've been lurking around for a few years here on TC. I've seen a few ugly purists threads and hopefully my project makes the cut. It is far from done with the best yet to come.

Anyways my project started a few years ago with the construction of a deck adjacent to our pool.

Several yards of dirt moved by hand to make a cut into the front yard:

Retaining wall construction:

Pad for hot tub:

Fence construction...to get the pool area back into compliance

A view from the deep end:

Notice the blue chaulk outline...my wife didn't want a normal straight deck:

I have a love hate relationship with these trumpet vines (and pool for that matter):

Although my original tiki bar plan has yet to materialize, I have been working to make the lower deck more swank. Granted, the sail shades aren't very tiki, but the torches, parrot and a couple tiki masks help with the "enchantment" factor. IDK...are macaws "tiki" or "parrot head"...if the later, don't tell him it will hurt his feelings. Anyways, this is what it is for now...a place to chill and listen to some Arthur Lyman (my fav exotica).

I know the white fence isn't the greatest either, but it helps tie in with the house...I'm debating on painting a mural on it or possibly trimming it out with some tropical thatch and hanging more tikis on it.

I'm also working on adding to the tropical feel with cold hardy "tropical-looking" plants that will live here in Michigan. Here are my current plants around the lounge:

Next spring I plan to plant some elephant ear, canna, (both of which will have to be dug up and wintered inside) and a few Musa basjoo banana trees around the area (I think these may survive...especially with global warming).

In addition, next summer I plan to get the tiki bar built. Its going to be a combination cabana (changing room) and tiki bar. I'm looking to keep it on the smallish side and put it between the deck and the pool against the fence. Something in the area of 8x10-feet (with 4-5 feet of the length being the changing room).

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-19 16:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-19 16:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-19 17:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-05-07 04:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-07-07 06:28 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-19 7:48 pm   Permalink

I like the sail shades and the entire look. Nice design!

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2012-08-19 20:38 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-19 8:12 pm   Permalink

Looks great!
The Hibiscus always adds a tropical feel.

Elephant ears will put it over the top! I grew them when I was in Connecticut. Plant them in a big container inside a month before they can go outside and you will get a big jump on the growing season. Just keep them in the container and in the Fall bring them inside.
Enjoy your backyard paradise!

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-20 06:37 am   Permalink

Thanks guys!

So thinking about my tiki hut already again today. I've gone back and forth on roofing materials. I think I am leaning against thatch because I think it will be a maintenance headache. I am considering a metal roof as well.

I wonder how a planted roof would work...covered in flowers?

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-20 07:45 am   Permalink

Looks like you are doing a great job. Do not worry about negative comments, they happen to all of us...part of the package and the suggestions help us stay Tiki. I love the shade and your bird is beautiful. Keep up the good work and posting pictures.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-20 2:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-19 16:52, jimsflies wrote:
I know the white fence isn't the greatest either, but it helps tie in with the house...I'm debating on painting a mural on it or possibly trimming it out with some tropical thatch and hanging more tikis on it.

Something I'd like to see mural wise is vintage advertising images that are aged in place, simple images that are easy to put on a wall or fence, and that you might find on an old bar in Polynesia or on Barbados. Here's an example image:

use a faded, paler blue and paler wheat gold so it looks like the ad has been sitting in the sun for years.

Or take an image from an old vintage Rum label and simplify it and make your own simple advertising:

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-20 3:43 pm   Permalink

Yeah those ads would look very cool. I especially like the 2nd and 3rd rum ads.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-20 17:27 ]

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-20 4:06 pm   Permalink

I love seeing builds of any kind and appreciate the difficulties of construction! Your bird is beautiful and I love the whole sitting area. Check out my build when you get a chance: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42865&forum=20&vpost=643358&hilite=gator

(not sure how to make that a link, you can also just search for Gator hut.)

For what it's worth, 2 out of 3 of my cannas survived the winter in NJ last year. My bananas, however, did not.

Keep having fun tikifying your space!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 03:35 am   Permalink

That's not good news for the bananas then. When did you plant your's and how big was it? I think I read they over winter better if they are larger and more established. I assume that means plant them in the spring and start with a larger size plant.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 05:03 am   Permalink

@freddiefreelance how about this:

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-21 05:09 ]

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 07:35 am   Permalink

I like the idea of the faded, painted murals on the fence. That would really warm up the area and give it a cozy feel.

I like what you have done so far and your B&G is beautiful. How old is she?

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-21 07:56 am   Permalink

So much cool stuff. Great selection of plants and that bird looks so lifelike

Did you already paint the murals or is that a photoshop mock up? Looks great either way. The living roof idea is cool, it would look great in the summer but what would it look like in the winter? Seems most Tiki people in the north use corregated steel or Ondura and paint it varigated rust colors.

Just run with it and have fun!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 10:12 am   Permalink

I wished I was that good (and fast).

Its just a mock up for now. I modified it slightly by replacing the Lamb's Navy with another ad for Grant's Fine Old Vatted Rum.

I wonder if I could project the images of the ads on my fence and make a trace of the ads? I'm not that much of an artist...particularly the lettering will need to look crisp to make it all look great. I'm afraid to hire someone to do this project would break the budget.

Yeah that bird does look pretty real! Too bad it doesn't have an off button! Not sure how old he is...my guess based on what I was told from the person I got him from is around 15 years old.

As for the planted roof...yeah it would look pretty bad in the winter I guess. Although I doubt I will be hanging out there much to notice. I'm just brain storming ideas...my wife will probably tell me what it will look like before it is all over.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-21 10:17 ]

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 4:33 pm   Permalink

What do you think about this...not quite as busy and prolly a lot easier to paint:

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 5:28 pm   Permalink

This one is beyond my painting abilities...but my wife likes it (maybe she's tiki after all! ) She did not care for the multiple rum ads.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation