FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 8:50 pm   Permalink

I'm already glad I went with the wood planks rather than the tiles. The planks not not only look better it has saved me a lot of (precious) time. I got the wood almost cut and fit to the bar in about an hour tonight.

I just ordered these nails and should have them midweek. So I will have wait to nail the boards down. These nails combined with the distressed look give it that old look.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 10:13 pm   Permalink

You might use a smooth head hammer so you don't "rosebud" the wood when you beat in the nails...

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 10:16 pm   Permalink

The key is to control the distressing (hammer marks around nails = bad workmanship, hammer marks on other areas = cool).

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-24 07:28 am   Permalink

Those look great!
Try to add a man made split in the wood where the nails go in here and there then paint with black shoe polish and sand off the extra on top to get that old look.
The bar top sounds like fun to make.
So are you going to get that grinder blade?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-24 07:55 am   Permalink

Just got an idea for yer top.
Have you seen counters that have that cutout in them and under that cutout is a trash can.
You could put one of these in your top right where you would cut your fruit for your drinks.
That way there is no need to reach under the bar to throw out trash.
Plus you could make a way cool lid for this hatch that looks like it came off
of an old ship, Maybe with a rope handle.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 2:15 pm   Permalink

I was going to go back and watch/listen to the details about that grinder blade. I was awe struck when they showed it and forgot to listen to what all he was saying. That was a mean looking grinder blade!

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 2:19 pm   Permalink

Good idea on the trash can.

Its funny that after spending an hour picking out the best boards with no splits and good edges that I'm going to put gouges and cracks in them.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-24 8:05 pm   Permalink

"That was a mean looking grinder blade!"

It is, take care if you do use it as it will take off a finger or more.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 07:41 am   Permalink

This project ceases to amaze me at how long everything seems to take. While I made some good headway over the weekend, it still fell short of expectations. Anyways, here is where I am now...the top section of the roof is on. I need to put all the ends back on the lower roof section (removed to accommodate the scaffolding). The bar is coming along but not done yet. Hopefully by the weekend, I will be in a position to finish the bar top. I don't think I am going to get the siding up on the gables before the party but it looks okay without it. Hoping to get some power run out there as well. But might end up with an extension cord if I run out of time.

Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 08:12 am   Permalink

It is really looking good JF! I like the roofing a lot. Well done.

Keep up the good work. I think you will be very proud of this bar for years to come.

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-26 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-26 08:12, Q-tiki wrote:
It is really looking good JF! I like the roofing a lot. Well done.

Keep up the good work. I think you will be very proud of this bar for years to come.

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with how its turning out. However, my wife hasn't been very please with me building it. She told me last night when we decide to sell the house I should take it down because most people wouldn't want a tiki bar. Maybe she's right...but I don't plan to tear it down any time soon.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-08-26 11:11 ]

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-26 5:39 pm   Permalink

Your doing a great job...keep those pictures coming!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-27 09:14 am   Permalink

Just read the complete build. It looks great. Can't wait to see it completed.

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-31 08:11 am   Permalink

"However, my wife hasn't been very please with me building it. She told me last night when we decide to sell the house"

Wish my wife did that a little bit more really, she is the reason we have this in our back yard.
And even though I love tiki felt like your wife on this one.
But everyone who sees it loves it.
I think your wife will like it more when people come over and say how cool it is.
Plus most people with pools like tiki and or nautical style around their pools.
They also need a place to put rafts, chairs ect...
And this hut with a few doors and the cut out covered with wood could be that for the new
owners of your home.

I think you may find that the new owners will want some of your tiki stuff to stay with the house.
Build it they will come.

Keep posting photos of your build.

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-31 1:07 pm   Permalink

you could router-out some pretty fun stuff with those beams...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation