FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
kala60
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-31 4:03 pm   Permalink

Any inof on the Brass swag lamp? One of a kind or more available?

thanks

carl

View Profile of kala60 Send a personal message to kala60      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-01 7:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-31 16:03, kala60 wrote:
Any info on the Brass swag lamp? One of a kind or more available?

It was the only one I have seen. There must be more of them. Looks pretty cool I think. I just got it hung up tonight.

Here are a few updated photos taken at dusk...photo quality isn't very good unfortunately.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-02 3:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Carl,

My guess is that the lamp is of Mexican manufacture based on designs brought over during the Spanish Colonial period that were in turn based on Moorish designs. Many Moorish influences in Spain, you know, architecture, art, metal working, etc.

This one is of a bit better quality in manufacture and more polished in design, but I think you'll see the similarity.

http://www.lafuente.com/Lighting/Mexican-Tin-Lighting/Hanging-Lanterns/9066/?ovchn=BIZ&ovcpn=BizRate+Accessories&ovcrn=LAMC19&ovtac=CMP

If you search for "Lantern" images online with keywords like Moorish, Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Turkish, or even Persian (ie: Moorish lantern), you'll see numerous examples of similar types of lanterns. Some just intricately pierced metal that cast beautiful lacy patterns of light, others with colored glass inserts that bathe the area with tinted light, and a combination of the two.

I'm sure you can find such lamps for sale online *like the above example.

Hope that helps.

*edit: added pic and link.

[ This Message was edited by: Bruddah Bear 2013-09-02 15:53 ]

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-08 07:53 am   Permalink

I've been working my tail off the past week to get ready for last nights party. Everyone seemed to enjoy the bar!

Here are a updated photos of the build the morning after the party:

Although not yet distressed, the bar top I think turned out looking very nice. It is made of cedar planks that haven been finished by burning with a spar varnish top coat.I notice quite a few splits have formed over the past week, but I think they look fine and add to the character. I may still add some manual distressing to give it more character.

Here is the back counter. I repurposed an old stainless steel counter top for the work surface. While not very "tiki", it is easy to sanitize and will weather the elements:

The party was self serve bar-tending. A double jockey box was used to dispense a wheat beer and an specialty beer (Black Pepper Honey Hibiscus Ale):

After enclosing the back gable, I found I had a nice bonus shelf to put some of my tiki objects. Here is a PNG spirit figure and one of Pele Paul's painted skulls on the shelf:

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-09-09 07:17 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-08 1:34 pm   Permalink

----

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-09-09 07:13 ]

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 08:02 am   Permalink

Hey Jim,
Your bar is ROCKIN' love the Disney tiki planter, and the red skull looks cool too!!! Im soooooo jealous !!!!

paul

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-10 12:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-09 08:02, Pele Paul wrote:
Hey Jim,
Your bar is ROCKIN' love the Disney tiki planter, and the red skull looks cool too!!! Im soooooo jealous !!!!

paul

Thanks Paul. Now I just need to have your eye for collecting and putting it altogether to make it look more tiki.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 4:06 pm   Permalink

I took one of the scraps from the bar top and made a mask for the gable. Its about 12" wide by 20" tall. I dressed it up with some beads and feathers from the resident Barker bird. My first attempt at anything like this...guess it turned out okay?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 5:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-02 15:14, Bruddah Bear wrote:
Quote:

Carl,

My guess is that the lamp is of Mexican manufacture based on designs brought over during the Spanish Colonial period that were in turn based on Moorish designs. Many Moorish influences in Spain, you know, architecture, art, metal working, etc.

This one is of a bit better quality in manufacture and more polished in design, but I think you'll see the similarity.

http://www.lafuente.com/Lighting/Mexican-Tin-Lighting/Hanging-Lanterns/9066/?ovchn=BIZ&ovcpn=BizRate+Accessories&ovcrn=LAMC19&ovtac=CMP

If you search for "Lantern" images online with keywords like Moorish, Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Turkish, or even Persian (ie: Moorish lantern), you'll see numerous examples of similar types of lanterns. Some just intricately pierced metal that cast beautiful lacy patterns of light, others with colored glass inserts that bathe the area with tinted light, and a combination of the two.

I'm sure you can find such lamps for sale online *like the above example.

Hope that helps.

*edit: added pic and link.

[ This Message was edited by: Bruddah Bear 2013-09-02 15:53 ]

I thought these are from India, Pier One imports carries these.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 5:27 pm   Permalink

Even the Pier Ones are cooler in Southern California! Who would have thought?

I just looked at Bruddah Bear's link...I guess I did okay price wise for $10. I think it looks okay in the bar for now. By no means do I think it is the coolest tiki lamp. I'd much prefer some of tiki skip's lamps.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-09-13 17:34 ]

Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 7:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-13 17:20, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I thought these are from India, Pier One imports carries these.

Lance,

It could be from India. I just made a best guess based upon other items I've seen in the past of similar quality construction and materials, but India is certainly a candidate as well. That Eastern Mediterranean/Asia Minor design pool has quite a reach, the lineage of artistic influences can get murky (thank you Alexander the Great, the Moors and the Ottoman Empire), couple that with the whole India/Pakistan current practice of "if you want us to make cheap copies of something old/antique/historical, we'll do it for a good price," and well, you know...

Quote:

On 2013-09-13 17:27, jimsflies wrote:
Even the Pier Ones are cooler in Southern California! Who would have thought?

I just looked at Bruddah Bear's link...I guess I did okay price wise for $10. I think it looks okay in the bar for now. By no means do I think it is the coolest tiki lamp. I'd much prefer some of tiki skip's lamps.

Yeah, I only posted the other lamp as an example of a similar lamp made in Mexico. Price wise, you can find more pricey ones as well as less expensive ones, I'm sure. You didn't do bad at all for $10. Mainly I was just trying to give Carl an idea of what it is and how he might locate something similar.

The space is coming along nicely, Jim.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-16 07:54 am   Permalink

Great job on the mask, looks almost like the real deal.

Like to see the Barker bird, on the rotisserie. Those birds always creeped me out.

Keep up the good work!

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 3:59 pm   Permalink

Been awhile since I posted an update. I haven't done much in the way of bar construction since my party...taking a rest after the big push. Anyways, I doubt there is much time left for the bananas to grow since the nights are getting colder here so I thought I would show a photo of my bananas at the end of the season.

Here is a photo when I got them on July 14:

The week I got them, I nearly killed them due to it being too hot and shocking them. So I transplanted them next to the house were they got shade for part of the day and they recovered...I'm sure it stunted their growth by a couple weeks. Here they are today:

I was contemplating digging them up and keeping them inside for the winter, but now I'm leaning toward building a cage around them and filling it with leaves to protect them from the cold. While I've done some research, if anyone in colder climates has some suggestions I'm open to hear your experience.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-10-23 16:21 ]

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 07:36 am   Permalink

Now that its finally warming up, time to turn my attention back to the KioWai Lounge to continue with the build I started last summer. The good news is, I don't see any ill effects from winter's weather on the bar. Although I am sure the bananas are goners. Being new plants and given that are temps were below zero a couple weeks this winter, I don't expect to see any life coming from the little nubs left in the ground from last year's plants.

One of the things I definitely need to address is seating... if anyone has some ideas for inexpensive/durable bar stools that fit the part, I would like to hear from you. I'm up for building them as well ...provided I don't have to be a finished carpenter to pull it off.

Other goals are to redo/finish the backbar area, add a refrigerator, and run permanent electricity.

I'm also on the look out for some inexpensive tikis in the 2 to 6-foot range to fill in around the lounge and pool. Its unfortunate that tiki is non-existent in Michigan. Most I find are unwilling to ship or it is cost prohibitive to ship.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2014-04-24 07:38 ]

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 4:54 pm   Permalink

Getting back into the bar build! I decided to work on the exterior trim. Here is a mockup showing the general direction I'm headed for the exterior...lots of routing in my future: (ignore the white fence for now)

For the past couple weeks, I've been making PVC bamboo for the area under the bar. While this isn't difficult...its a project that seems to drag on. I have about 2/3 of it ready for shellac. I think I will go ahead and get that bunch done and hung so I can break up the job and feel like I've accomplished something. Plus, I'm running out of room with all the pieces.

I also picked up a couple vintage(?) Spencer's moai lamps...these will go on some shelves in the back bar. Once again had issues with shipping, the green moai was smashed when it arrived. I seem to have the worst luck with getting tiki stuff shipped to me. After several hours of careful super gluing, I think it will still be okay for my purposes.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation