FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 5:34 pm   Permalink

Your place looks awesome, love the monkey.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 9:22 pm   Permalink

Nice!!! Looks like your getting some inspiration from Derek's South Pacific Room and Scott's Ventiki Tiki bar.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 10:36 pm   Permalink

The Outside bar is looking sharp!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 06:30 am   Permalink

Thanks guys!

Quote:

On 2014-06-08 21:22, forgotten tikiman wrote:
Nice!!! Looks like your getting some inspiration from Derek's South Pacific Room and Scott's Ventiki Tiki bar.

I've been studying tiki bars for several years now and have picked up so many cool ideas especially from this forum. The tough part is assembling the ideas into an original cohesive design.

I borrowed a couple of monkeyman's glyphs for the mockup...his carved trim is out of this world. The crocodiles go well with front facing gable which has a crocodile carved in it as well. However, I want to change up the graphics a bit though to maintain originality.

I'm also weighing whether to keep the large carved beam concept, or install a thatched awning across the front of the bar. If I go this route, the front beam would be obscured from view unless you are sitting right under the awning.

The bamboo structure for the back bar was an idea I got from photos of Honi Honi in Honk Kong (http://honihonibar.com/) and then saw again with Ventiki. I think it looks "exotic" and certainly something you don't see around these parts. I would like to put acrylic panel across the back of the bamboo section and side light it with color changeable LEDs (to makes the acrylic panel glow)....I think the effect of the indirect light behind the bamboo tubes would look cool.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2014-06-09 06:50 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 07:24 am   Permalink

You chose some great inspiration and I can't wait to see how you take that and turn it into your own carvings.

The bar is really looking fantastic.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 08:11 am   Permalink

Well...here's the pvc bamboo with 2 coats of shellac. I'm planning to coat it with Varathane so that it will have some UV protection to keep it from fading. I guess the nodes are darker than real bamboo even after burning...hopefully it will look okay under the front of the bar once its in place.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 08:20 am   Permalink

I really like the dark nodes on the "bamboo". It gives it a slightly different look and I think it will be really striking to look at. Great job!

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-11 08:03 am   Permalink

Thanks Dale! I appreciate your feedback/input...encouragement.

I started coating with Varathane last night. But after a few pieces, I decided I didn't like the results and got to thinking if the shellac finish fades with UV, it may not be too big of a deal to brush more shellac on to freshen it up if I don't put the Varathane on them. The faux bamboo is fairly protected under the bar and only receives direct morning sun on the front (short side) of the bar.

I hung a few pieces last night to start seeing how its going to look. I'm happy with how it looks a few of them in place...tonight I will hopefully get more hung. It also appears it will be easy to trim around the corners of the bar so I may end up doing that instead of adding trim around each corner at least for now. I should have a photo to share tonight or tomorrow.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-12 06:55 am   Permalink

I managed to attach a few pieces of "bamboo" last night between rain storms...

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-15 12:12 pm   Permalink

Looking good. The bamboo turned out well.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-16 07:24 am   Permalink

I like it.

- Dale

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-18 11:43 pm   Permalink

[quote]
I guess the nodes are darker than real bamboo even after burning...hopefully it will look okay under the front of the bar once its in place.

/quote]

I like I also, it looks good on the front of the bar.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-19 05:50 am   Permalink

thanks guys. I made another batch last weekend and made some improvements to my technique. I'm moving the first batch to the side of the bar and going with these on the front.

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-19 08:24 am   Permalink

Jim

Your bar is really coming along. I usually don't care for the look of burning the bamboo but the way you made a pattern out of it makes it look great! Keep up the good work,

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-02 10:05 am   Permalink

@MaukaHale thanks!

So here is an update...got all the "bamboo" on the sides. Making the bamboo was a slow process. In total, I think I did twelve 10-foot sections...120 feet.

This weekend in between other projects I plan to start trimming around the bamboo and working on the backbar. I picked up a beverage cooler for behind the bar on craigslist yesterday. So I'm kind of pumped to get that installed to have cold beverages handy.

I also got a couple sweet blue float lights from tikiskip that I need to hang. So hopefully will have some good updates in a few days.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation