FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
ToddVegas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 5:08 pm   Permalink

LOVE what you did to the fence!

View Profile of ToddVegas Send a personal message to ToddVegas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-07 07:36 am   Permalink

Really dig that chunk of trim, how's that working out? The deck around the hot tub is great!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 8:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys!

I'm bummed right now though ...was hoping to be building the bar already this spring but that project is delayed due to needing a new drainfield for our septic. Ugh... just hope I have enough budget left to do something this summer.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-04 9:25 pm   Permalink

Hang in there Jim. Gotta do the major home repairs first. You have done so much so far, there will always be time to enhance. I just love your yard.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 6:43 pm   Permalink

Jim,

Don't you hate it when "needs" trump "wants?" I hope what you have to do ends up being cheaper than you think and you can have some fun in your backyard. We try to do something (or a couple of things) each year.

Just wanted to let you know that I chopped one of my huge bananas to ground level and mulched it in and it came back!!! Woo-hoo-naner! It's already sprouting up about 1 ft tall and growing rapidly. It should grow huge this year. And 2 others survived the winter in the house (they were just pups) so one's in the ground already and I'm trying to decide where to plant the smallest one b/c I know he won't stay little....

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 05:07 am   Permalink

Maybe I will at least get a banana tree started this spring to see how it goes. That is encouraging that it made it over the winter. Although my winters aren't quite the same.

Regardless of budget, I've realized I need to scale back a bit from my original plan. Given all the other backyard "attractions" I have, I think my original design would have taken away from the whole. I've decided to keep the bar small so it doesn't dominate the entire space.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-07 3:56 pm   Permalink

Aloha

Nice neat job, I was looking at doing the same type of x paten XIIXIIXIIXIIX with the compound saw, but after looking at what other people are doing with the router I'm going to try some free hand this weekend.
Might use a guide for the straight cuts.

Would that be Cedar or Douglas fir ?

Mahalo

Quote:

On 2012-09-04 09:50, jimsflies wrote:
I messed around with a piece of scrap lumber to see how easy it would be to make my own trim for the bar this weekend. About 10 minutes with the miter saw and torch and this is what I came up with:

I think I will look into purchasing a router and make more complex designs. But I think it will be a fun/easy project and will work making the trim over the winter so I am ready to go with the build next spring.

View Profile of TikiSpeer Send a personal message to TikiSpeer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-08 06:58 am   Permalink

That piece was cedar. I also plan to use a router when I get down to doing this for real. The "bar" has been set pretty high here on Tiki Central...my simple X pattern with a chop saw doesn't make the cut.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 05:26 am   Permalink

With the slightly warmer weather here in not so sunny Michigan (its only 32 out this morning ), my thoughts have really turned to working my outside paradise. I'm pretty sure with the revised ideas to scale back the bar structure, that I should be able to get it built this spring despite issues with our drainfield.

So I have a couple small updates... I moved my new 6-foot tall tiki outside in the hot tub corner. I think it should be okay outside it is constructed of fiberglass. Right now it is leaning in the corner, but I am going to install a post to secure it and platform for it to be a little taller as it guards the entire lounge. I think when I build the platform, I will add some lights shinning up so he'll be illuminated at night.

You can also see in the photo above, I also replaced the shell of the hot tub late last fall with a less orange colored faux wood (as seen in photos on page 1)...still not as much of a color match as I would have liked to the deck. But it will be easier to blend in. The new cabinet was secondary to a cracked shell that was fixed under warranty, but since they were working on it I went ahead and bought a new cabinet since the old one was getting rough anyways.

After seeing all the cool bar signs/logos that others here on TC have come up with for their spaces, I decided I wanted one too. I'm an artistic hack ...but this is what I have come up with in photoshop for a concept (at least for now...).

A few days ago when it was 80-degrees, I opened the pool...still working on getting it cleaned up. But in the mid-30's today, I'm not sure I will get out to finish the job!

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-05-12 05:29 ]

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-21 12:01 pm   Permalink

Hoping to start the bar build this weekend. I've procured some salvaged lumber to get started! The structure itself is going to be 7x8-feet. Still trying to decide on the roof style. The roof will mostly be corrugated metal or ondura. Tyring to work a little thatch into it on the front to "tikify" it. Here are a couple sketches...excuse my drawing skills.

Also still messing around with a graphic that I can make into a sign/use for party invites, etc. Here is the latest version:

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-24 05:54 am   Permalink

The latest concept. I moved the doorway to the front to mitigate the "fruit stand" look which has been a concern. I think the more visible doorway might make it look more inviting.

I've enlarged the structure to 9x8-feet and will make the bar on the sides more substantial which should allow for easier conversations (as opposed to everyone in a straight line across the front).

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-05-24 05:55 ]

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-24 06:32 am   Permalink

I'm really like the latest ideas. Great that you wrapped your bar around the corner. Looks very inviting on paper.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-25 09:40 am   Permalink

Love your bar logo and your sketches. They look way better than anything I'd draw. Good luck with your build, I understand the perils of unpredictable spring weather. I'm in the middle of a project myself and the weather is horrible in NJ but at least it stopped raining.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-26 8:40 pm   Permalink

Sitting in the lounge enjoying a fire and wanted to share some pics of my glass design. I might try to make a tiki type design the next time I redo it. I'm running natural gas to the fire pit next week. Tired of running out of propane when friends are over.

The bar build is coming along, albeit slowly. Got the floor done and will be framing out the walls this weekend.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 6:51 pm   Permalink

More progress...looking like a structure at least!

Burnt the beams:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation