FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-07 04:16 am   Permalink

Getting ready to set the ridge beam today. Trying to decide if I want to angle the ridge or not. Building it straight will be easier but might not look as cool. Thoughts?

Other beams were set yesterday. I feel like this has taken forever...most other projects I've had helpers but so far this has been a solo effort (much like the conversation in this thread).

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 10:46 am   Permalink

Looking really good! Your hard work is starting to pay off.

I would say that angled would be more interesting, but you'll have to decide whether or not it's worth the effort.

Cheers and aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 1:29 pm   Permalink

I really like your original design sketches so I'd stick with that if you can. but when it's thatched and done it will look cool no matter what. And since we don't live in CA there won't be anyone else around for people to compare it to, except on TC.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 7:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks for weighing in. Yeah, I think I am going to try for the angled ridge. So far my structure is pretty true to the last sketch I posted.

The past couple evenings I have been working on carving the exposed ends of the ridge beam. I thought it would look kind of cool and fun to make the ends look like "native" animals. This is my first attempt at carving with a router (or otherwise)....its a far cry from the skills of others here but fortunately my lack of skill works to make it look more primitive.

The far end ridge has a bird:

The near end is a croc (not completed yet, I ran out of daylight again before I could cut out his mouth and hit it with a torch).

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-10 06:03 am   Permalink

Took a few shots of the flora and fauna around the Ki'o Wai Lounge this morning after last night's rain. These were taken with my iphone.

I also ordered 4 banana trees yesterday. It's later in the season than I intended to start them, maybe I will try to leave them in pots for this season and see how they do.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-07-10 06:04 ]

Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-10 2:56 pm   Permalink

Jim, I've been meaning to ask if you were going to do something about the starkness of that brilliantly (by contrast) white fence in the background? Maybe paint/stain it some shade of brown or cover it with reed fencing so that it helps to bring the space together?

Nice job on the build so far, I really like the added details of the ridge pole end figures. Keep it up.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-10 6:52 pm   Permalink

The original plan for the fence was to paint a mural (see page 1 of this thread). My wahine however, doesn't think it will last that long in the Michigan elements before looking bad. She's probably right..I've been watching another mural on a commercial building in town and have come to realize that they have the painter come back every year to touch it up. I hate maintenance and am trying to avoid things that won't last.

I haven't focused on the white fence as much since starting the bar. But will need to revisit it after the bar structure is complete.

The fence that forms the back wall of the new bar/hut will have lauhala matting and other backbar elements covering it up.

Here is the completed crocodile for the top end of the ridge beam:

I hung the ridge beam temporarily this evening. But need to lower it before permanently setting it tomorrow.

TikiRetardo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-10 9:26 pm   Permalink

That looks great

View Profile of TikiRetardo Send a personal message to TikiRetardo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-10 11:32 pm   Permalink

...and that's a great TC name, T.R. !

Wondeful flora & fauna pics, Jim.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-11 06:15 am   Permalink

Thanks guys!

Here is the temporary ridge beam setting. I wanted to get it up and see how the angle and height would look. In this photo it is at a 15-degree angle. I think I will flatten angle to 10-degrees and lower it by a foot.

TikiRetardo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-11 07:24 am   Permalink

That looks great ....cant wait to see your progress

View Profile of TikiRetardo Send a personal message to TikiRetardo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-14 11:20 am   Permalink

Jim, that's gonna be one popular bar you're puttin' together there... prepare for large crowds!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-14 12:58 pm   Permalink

Hopefully it will get some good use!

I'm taking a break for a few minutes here from working on framing the roof...its hotter than Hades outside today. I'm embarrassed to admit how much time I have into hanging these rafters. That sloped ridge beam kicked my butt yesterday. I finally have had a little more luck with the angles thanks to a level app I downloaded on my iphone. Using the app, I can position my long (light weight compared to a board) level in the same place a rafter needs to be and then hold the phone next to it and get the angle. Who would have thought a phone could help build a tiki bar!

Here is a progress photo:

I also received my banana trees in the mail yesterday. I need to review what others have posted about what has worked with over-wintering them in cold climates. I decided for now to just put all of them in a big 20" pot. My current thought is to bring them in for the winter since I doubt they will get too big with the late start this year growing them.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-15 04:40 am   Permalink

Work on the roof rafters continues... trying to figure out the overhang and slopes on the lower rafters. As it is here, there is a 2-foot overhang which I think would put one just under the roof if sitting on the side of the bar. I'm not sure if I like the profile or not relative to the steeper part of the roof. Any thoughts?

A few more photos of progress:

Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-15 07:45 am   Permalink

It's looking really good!

I love what you've done with the bird and croc on the beam. Very interesting and original. Are you going to hang a float from the croc's mouth?

Keep up the good work and mahalo for posting.

Cheers and aloha!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation