FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-24 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-23 18:37, jimsflies wrote:
I wonder if kangaroos are as much of a nuisance for you as deer are for me? Do they like to play tag with cars?

While I'm posting a couple updated photos showing the framing front gable of the roof.

My apologies Jimsflies for taking your posts off subject. I'm envious of that roof construction, nice work. As to the questions about how the roofing will fit, I reckon as long as the lower sections run several inches under the gable with maybe some flashing to increase the length of the overlap it should be perfect.

And no the 'roos don't play tag with cars they're pretty skittish and if you get too close they take off into the bush. Nice to have 'em around here though - as it must be for deer.

[ This Message was edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-07-24 16:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-07-24 16:29 ]

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-31 06:17 am   Permalink

No problem Thurston Howell. I enjoyed all the photos. I am half way to having my own pineapple bush now.

I picked up my corrugated metal roofing last night. I thought I would have a longer wait to get the metal from Menards, the website said 12-21 days but it came in less than a week. I was shocked at how thin the metal is. If it doesn't work out for a roof I might be able to wrap up left over dinner in it.

This is a long shot...but if anyone has any tips for putting a metal roof on, please share. My current plan is to make templates from a big piece of cardboard and then cut the metal. With all the crazy angles, I can't think of any other good way to do it. As for cutting, not sure if turning my skill saw blade backwards to cut it is the way to go or get some electric shears. Given how thin it is, if the saw blade catches it, I think it will really mess it up.

The weather wasn't very cooperative last weekend to get much done. Since I thought I had longer before the metal would be here, I took a few minutes to add some bracing to the sides of the structure. It helped stiffen it up quite a bit.

Also started burning the roof rafters. I'm planning for the underside of the roof and rafters to be exposed so am taking time now to "finish" them so I don't have as much to do after the roof is on.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-04 09:42 am   Permalink

Good move finishing the roof rafters while they're exposed! I learned that lesson the hard way....

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-05 06:51 am   Permalink

I didn't get as much done this weekend as I had hoped. Our primary refrigerator failed yesterday and spent the majority of the day dealing with that.

I made some headway on the lower purlins as seen in the photo below. I'm also burning rafters when I only have a few minutes here or there to work on the build.

Hopefully I can get the purlins on this week after work so that next weekend I will be ready to install the roof.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 04:50 am   Permalink

A little more progress. Finally finished the rafters and roof structure and started working on the roofing. I think I am doing something wrong... I've read several build threads here on TC and many mention their build being completed in a weekend ...I feel like this thing has taken me forever!

Standing in Front:

What the back side of the roof looks like right now:

Finally starting to get the roofing up there:

Here is my attempt at making the corrugated metal look rusty:

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-12 11:28 am   Permalink

More progress.

This photo shows off the roof lines with the purlins in place:

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-08-12 11:28 ]

Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-12 11:38 am   Permalink

I really like the shape of the roof and your treatment of both the rafters and the roofing metal. Are you going to coat it with polyurethane or something similar? I'm curious about that after having read about rusty water coming off of the metal roofs and staining concrete below. Yet another thing to think about.

Keep up the good work!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-12 12:12 pm   Permalink

For my roof, I just used Rustoleum spray paint over the galvanized metal. I decided I didn't want to deal with stains. But I think for those that have non-galvanized roofs, after it has the amount of desired rust, you could clear coat over it to minimize the rust stains. I suspect my painted rust will wear off over time, but hopefully by that time it will retain the older less shinny look that brand new metal roofing has.

My current dilemma is working on the upper roof with the lower roof installed with out damaging it. The roof is so thin, it crushes very easily. I will likely do the other side differently, but I'd like to avoid uninstalling the lower roof that I already have in place. I think I am going to try to lay a 2x12 plank across it to disperse the weight. I had my son get up there to do something yesterday in a spot I couldn't reach and even with his light weight, it still crunched it in a couple spots.

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-12 10:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-12 12:12, jimsflies wrote:
My current dilemma is working on the upper roof with the lower roof installed with out damaging it. The roof is so thin, it crushes very easily. I will likely do the other side differently, but I'd like to avoid uninstalling the lower roof that I already have in place. I think I am going to try to lay a 2x12 plank across it to disperse the weight. I had my son get up there to do something yesterday in a spot I couldn't reach and even with his light weight, it still crunched it in a couple spots.

Is it possible to work on the upper roof back to front and from the inside? Hard to tell how much space you have between the rafters.
Maybe a sheet of plywood would help protect the lower roof til the upper is complete. Just a thought.
Lookin good, can't wait to see the finished project.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-14 05:56 am   Permalink

Some of it can be done from the inside. I also came up with this scaffold so I should be able to get up there if I need to now. Reaching the top is still not easy from this scaffold. So I will likely have to do it from the inside and put each piece down one at a time.

I ordered the ridge cap yesterday. It is being custom fabricated with the change in slope 14/12 on one end and 8/12 on the other. It will be a couple weeks before that is done now. I may have to attach that in the center from the inside as well so I am thinking I need to get all the roof pieces cut and ready for install and then screw everything down as I move across the structure.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-17 8:52 pm   Permalink

Making some headway this weekend. The roof is mostly done. The scaffold works great!

My construction pal approves:

I need to get this wrapped up...we're having a party in a few weeks.

Its probably tiki sacrilege to combine a party with a football watching party.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-08-18 03:30 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-19 06:02 am   Permalink

Nice start!

Sooo what is the temp of your pool?
Ours has only got up to 85 with no heater. (not very warm really)
It has been fall like temps here all "summer"
Have not been in the pool even once.

Where is this global warming I keep hearing about?
Some doof from OSU is putting blankets on the polar ice cap to save the planet.
Maybe he's the guy who's f*&%ing up our summer.

Good luck!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 08:41 am   Permalink

I think our pool got up to about the same temp. I don't really care for it to be warmer than that...stops being refreshing at about 85.

I'm sure it will be chilly by the time the party comes around...although this week is supposed to warm up again so who knows. Usually only a couple peeps get in the pool at our evening parties anyways. I'll have the hot tub going so they can warm up.

A little more progress yesterday...here are a few photos:

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 12:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-11 04:50, jimsflies wrote:
Here is my attempt at making the corrugated metal look rusty:

Produce a Rich Rust Patina on Iron and Steel, Safely and Quickly, Using Common Household Chemicals
Quote:

On 2013-08-12 11:38, Q-tiki wrote:
I really like the shape of the roof and your treatment of both the rafters and the roofing metal. Are you going to coat it with polyurethane or something similar? I'm curious about that after having read about rusty water coming off of the metal roofs and staining concrete below. Yet another thing to think about.

I'd think acid staining the concrete first would help with that? With the added benefit of making the concrete look less like new, raw concrete.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-19 12:15 pm   Permalink

Not sure I could "rust" the metal roof now using that technique. But that is a great link. When I get some time, I will try that on a piece of roof scrap and see what it does. It may not work that well because the roof has an acrylic coating and is galvanized. But it will be interesting to see.

The painted roof is acceptable I think. It looks better in person I think than the photos show. I also got a little better at painting rust as I went along.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation