FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-28 5:24 pm   Permalink

Today was 55...snows almost gone.

I spend a lot of time thinking warm thoughts while staring at my aquarium in the winter...

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 7:36 pm   Permalink

Got the bar spiffed up for some company last weekend. Thought I would share a few photos...the new cell phone definitely takes better pics in lower light.

In an effort to break up the white fence, I've decided that I'm going to leave the bananas in their pots this year and put them in front of the fence as opposed to transferring them to planter. In their place in the planter, I'm going to grow some mint so I have it when I want to make a cocktail. I also planted some flower pouches and hung them on the fence to also breakup the white fence. Not sure how well the pouches work for growing plants...but thought I would try it. They were cheap enough at $2 each.

As far as things not going right...here are a couple pics of pests and pest damage I'm dealing with:

A woodpecker went nuts on my sail shade posts! These are cedar and I hate thinking about the $30+ per board price tag to replace. I think I'm going to carve some trim to cover the damage and tiki-fy these posts a bit. Maybe they'll look better than original. But that damn woodpecker has to go!!!!

This is a carpenter bee....they look like a bumblebee except they are making swiss cheese out of the cedar beams in the bar. They chew a perfect circle that is about 3/8-inch diameter into the bottom of the beams and purlins. I've been whacking them when I can. I'm wondering if I sprayed some pledge or something on the wood if that would keep them away?

I also had to replace the tiki torches because the metal cans had rusted on my old ones. I almost burned my fence and deck down the other night after installing one of the new torches. I lit it and turned around to sit my tools down, when I looked back a minute later the entire wicker housing was on fire. I had to put it out with the hose. Afterwards I did a little forensic analysis on the torch and it seems like the wick is allowing oil to escape on top of the torch somehow. So now I don't trust these new torches at all. I'm looking for a better solution that isn't made of combustable materials. If I had been away another minute, I think the oil can would have fallen onto the deck and most likely created a massive fire.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2016-06-01 11:17 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 26 days ago; 8:54 pm   Permalink

Those carpenter bees are contemptible. We've had an explosion of them in this area over the last couple years. Only thing to do is spray the holes at dusk and invest in a butterfly net to snag the slow-flying little jerks.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 9:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-05-31 20:54, Bam Bam wrote:
Those carpenter bees are contemptible. We've had an explosion of them in this area over the last couple years. Only thing to do is spray the holes at dusk and invest in a butterfly net to snag the slow-flying little jerks.

They do make pretty easy targets I usually swat them with a beach towel when I see them.

I built several carpenter bee traps last weekend. Here's hoping they work. I think the traps might work I have watched the bees fly around and they are constantly probing holes they find to make a nest. I also plugged all the holes I could find with a 7/16-inch dowel. Most holes were about 2-inches deep before making a turn.

AkronTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 10 days ago; 07:12 am   Permalink

Your whole backyard/pool space looks spectacular youve done an awesome job. Id like to build a permanent tiki bar, but the wife says no; as it is, I just use one of those large offset umbrellas for shade, which works pretty well over the 6 bar I built. During the winter, most everything gets covered with a tarp or moved into the garage/shed.

It is nice to have mint growing nearby; I have a bunch of it poking through my hostas at the foot of my deck steps and its come in handy a couple of times to make mojitos!

Thankfully, not too many problems with pests where I live although (based on some small muddy footprints) I DO think I had a raccoon checking out the top of my bar, one night a couple of weeks ago

View Profile of AkronTiki Send a personal message to AkronTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 6:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks AkronTiki. My wife wasn't too keen on the bar either. I think she likes it more now.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation