FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Official Plastic Paradise Documentary Thread
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Official Plastic Paradise Documentary Thread
Common Machine

Posted: 2012-08-22 11:20 am   Permalink

Hello Tiki Central,

Brett O'Bourke here; Producer and director of the upcoming documentary Plastic Paradise. I just wanted to post a heads-up that the website for the film is finally up and we'll be updating it with all kinds of good stuff over the coming weeks/months. Presently, there is a teaser reel, videos from PKNY and Oceanic Arts, behind-the-secnes photos and quotes from folks featured in the film. We shot a tremendous amount of footage in Ft. Lauderdale (at two Hukilau), LA and NYC and we can't get it all in the film (for example, the full cut we made of Angie Pontani's finale performance in the rain at this year's Hukilau is smoking hot!), so we'll be putting lots on the website. Please be sure to let us know what you think and ask questions (there is a little question mark icon at the top of the navigation where you ask us stuff).

http://plasticparadisedoc.tumblr.com

Mahalo,

Brett
Common Machine's upcoming documentary Plastic Paradise tells the story of tiki culture’s original rise and fall in the mid-20th century, and its recent rediscovery by a new generation of Polynesian popsters. http://plasticparadisedoc.com
[ This Message was edited by: Common Machine 2012-08-22 12:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Common Machine 2012-08-22 12:22 ]

View Profile of Common Machine Send a personal message to Common Machine  Email Common Machine Goto the website of Common Machine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-22 12:20 pm   Permalink

Nice work, guys, I am looking forward to this furthering of the propagation of the Tiki gospel

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnlyATikiLad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-22 2:37 pm   Permalink

"Jolly Stomper" wow, what's in that?

View Profile of OnlyATikiLad Send a personal message to OnlyATikiLad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Common Machine

Posted: 2012-08-22 4:24 pm   Permalink

From Richard Boccato's own files:

Jolly Stomper

7 ˝ oz. Fresh lime juice
3 ˝ oz. House-made orgeat
1 ˝ oz. Falernum
10 oz. Gin
Red wine float

Build in a blender pitcher. Blend with one scoop of crushed ice, and pour into a flower vase. Top with crushed ice, and swizzle. Float red wine, and top with crushed ice again. Garnish with orchids, and serve.
Common Machine's upcoming documentary Plastic Paradise tells the story of tiki culture’s original rise and fall in the mid-20th century, and its recent rediscovery by a new generation of Polynesian popsters. http://plasticparadisedoc.com

View Profile of Common Machine Send a personal message to Common Machine  Email Common Machine Goto the website of Common Machine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnlyATikiLad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-24 5:10 pm   Permalink

Thank you, looks like maybe some bitters going in at the end as well.

View Profile of OnlyATikiLad Send a personal message to OnlyATikiLad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-04 4:15 pm   Permalink

When is this going to be available to purchase? I could have sworn I saw a copy of the DVD for sale at the Hukilau in the vendor area but forgot to swing back by and buy it. I cannot find any purchase info online. Thanks.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 08:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-04 16:15, El Jefe wrote:
When is this going to be available to purchase? I could have sworn I saw a copy of the DVD for sale at the Hukilau in the vendor area but forgot to swing back by and buy it. I cannot find any purchase info online. Thanks.

I think that was the DVD of Tiki you saw. Could be wrong.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-05 10:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-05 08:15, Hale Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-07-04 16:15, El Jefe wrote:

I think that was the DVD of Tiki you saw. Could be wrong.

Could have been but I have the DVD of Tiki and the one I saw I swear had a different cover. It was on the table when you first walked in that was selling all the different photos and prints.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Common Machine

Posted: 2013-07-05 2:22 pm   Permalink

Must have been another DVD. Plastic Paradise probably won't be available on DVD until late fall/early winter. We'll let you know ... once we figure it out.

The film will be offered to PBS affiliates nationally in early Sept. and we'll be sure to post TV schedules as we receive them both on this thread and on our website.

We were thrilled to screen at Hukilau and have been pleased as punch at the positive response.

best,

CM

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 3:28 pm   Permalink

Kudos on the film, I enjoyed it very much and look forward to purchasing a copy. I think it compliments "The DVD of Tiki" very well in that "The DVD of Tiki" focuses on original Tiki-style and "Plastic Paradise" drills down on the Tiki Revival. I agree with the latter's hypothesis that the Tiki Revival is a Post-Punk phenomenon.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-05 4:34 pm   Permalink

Common & John-O,

Thanks for the info as I did not get the chance to see the film.

juliaghoulia

Posted: 2013-07-07 6:16 pm   Permalink

Very cool! Can't wait to see it!

View Profile of juliaghoulia Send a personal message to juliaghoulia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-08 08:40 am   Permalink

Dig it. Pittsburgh is home to the original PBS, so we sure as hell better be getting it here!

Can you also please update us if you find out when it'll be screened? It'll be nice to be able to post it around to make sure that tons of people watch it!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Common Machine

Posted: 2013-07-08 09:07 am   Permalink

For sure. We will definitely post all air dates and screenings on this thread.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 9:38 pm   Permalink

September 18th, 8:00 p.m on WLRN Miami:

http://wlrn.org/plastic-paradise

Plastic Paradise will be available to all PBS stations beginning September 4th, 2013

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation