FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Official Plastic Paradise Documentary Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Official Plastic Paradise Documentary Thread
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 10:07 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-09-12 21:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
September 18th, 8:00 p.m on WLRN Miami:

http://wlrn.org/plastic-paradise

Plastic Paradise will be available to all PBS stations beginning September 4th, 2013

Sweet. Cant wait to see it!

( finally one that I'm not in!!! lol!!!)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 11:06 pm   Permalink

Are you saying us folks in Hawaii already missed it? Damm hope it's a typo or now I have to wait till the video comes out.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 08:11 am   Permalink

Premiers the 18th but is available for any PBS to run I think.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Common Machine

Posted: 2013-09-13 12:04 pm   Permalink

All,

Plastic Paradise has indeed begun hitting PBS stations across the country. Each local affiliate is free to schedule and air Plastic Paradise anytime they want. Could be next week, could be next year. Since the feed just became available a couple weeks ago, you will generally see the smaller markets airing it first and the bigger markets (where schedules tend to be a little more dense) airing in October or November.

The reason we've been slow to post a complete schedule is because we don't have one. We were operating under the assumption that we'd be working together with with WLRN (the PBS affiliate that commissioned the film) to promote Plastic Paradise, particularly here on Tiki Central, where so many people who were integral in the making of the film hang out. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.

In the email exchange in which we found out they would not be providing us with a carriage reports, Special Projects Manager Adrienne Kennedy recommended we send people wanting to know when the film is airing directly to her. Her email is
AKennedy@dadeschools.net.

Meanwhile, here is the list we've compiled on our own through Google searches. We'll update it as best we are able. Our sincere apologies for not being able to provide a complete carriage report. Please do let us know if you hear about additional air dates and times in your areas.

best,

Brett O'Bourke

Indianapolis (WFYI): Tuesday, September 10, at 9 p.m.
Urbana-Champaign (WILL TV): Sunday, September 15, at 4 p.m.
Denver-Boulder-Aspen (CPT 12): Monday, September 16, at 7 p.m.
Miami-Fort Lauderdale (WLRN): Wednesday, September 18, at 8 p.m.
Washington State (KTNW): Saturday, September 21, at 10 p.m.
Louisville-Lexington (KET2): Monday, October 7, at 10 p.m.

[ This Message was edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 14:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 15:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 15:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 15:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Common Machine 2013-09-13 15:37 ]

View Profile of Common Machine Send a personal message to Common Machine  Email Common Machine Goto the website of Common Machine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-14 03:59 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info Brett and for your hard work. Tell me do they, PBS, eventually give you your own distribution rights and if so when? Love to buy a DVD and probably many others on TC.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-15 05:43 am   Permalink

Nice piece in the Miami Herald about the team behind the documentary. Kudos!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/13/v-fullstory/3624617/mai-kai-anyone-documentary-by.html

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-15 06:33 am   Permalink

Nicely done, indeed. A comment on production value such as "...Although the hourlong Plastic Paradise was budgeted at $80,000 by WLRN, the finished film is so slick and polished, it looks like it cost four times that to make..." is gold for the company!

Hey you guys, let me know if you need a shooter for your "Errol Flynn’s Ghost: Hollywood in Havana"
Is it gonna touch on his days in Papua New Guinea? And his South Seas novel?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 12:03 am   Permalink

I didnt know there was already a thread going, my mistake for not searching like I was instructed to do

Curious to know who all was featured in the show besides Shag and Berry. I didnt record it and cant remember everyone. Also, is that bowling alley in Florida or west coast?

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 02:05 am   Permalink

This thread introduced the bowling alley at the "Polynesian Gardens" condos (middle of page 3), and is a fine example of united TC archeology (AND of what TC used to be good at: posting IMAGES!)...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29385&forum=5&start=30

...its research culminating in a fun TC bowling event, and in a planned HUKILAU expedition in 2012, which sadly had to be canceled due to the generational divide between tattooed Tiki revivalists and the Jewish old lady management (in Jewish belief, tattoos are taboo)
The place is pretty bland and generic, and could be seen as an example of Tiki Devolution, but the bowling alley, and the muralled lobby with its remaining Witco are gems of late Tiki style.

The one thing I regret that Plastic Paradise could not delve into enough is Tiki archeology, i.e. showing more original places such as this. But there is just too much to cover, and most people want to see what is happening NOW, not what was (even though it inspired it).

The other thing I am curious about is if after bartering around the term "Tiki" a bit, does the finished film sufficiently explain WHAT a Tiki is, and WHY the style bears his name... a thing that sometimes seems to get lost nowadays - here, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 04:45 am   Permalink

I've been going to the Mai Kai about once a week for a while and as much as I love the place, I feel it got a bit too much coverage. Would have liked to have seen some other things mixed in as well. Still was a really cool thing to see and I learned a few things too.

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 05:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-19 04:45, nomeus wrote:
I've been going to the Mai Kai about once a week for a while and as much as I love the place, I feel it got a bit too much coverage. Would have liked to have seen some other things mixed in as well. Still was a really cool thing to see and I learned a few things too.

I assume that was based on $ and the production company being out of Miami and the proximity and convenience of having Mai-Kai and Hukilau right at their doorstep. But I agree, ideally I would have liked to have seen more west coast and NYC as well.

Al in all though, Awesome Job on the movie!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 05:57 am   Permalink

The show didn't air in Denver. Here is the reason the station gave.

CPT12’s Master Control experienced a technical glitch and missed the scheduled download from the server for Plastic Paradise. We did not capture a copy of the program so we cannot air it in the future. We apologize for the mishap. I was looking forward to watching it too.

Sincerely,
CPT12

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 09:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-19 05:57, MaukaHale wrote:
The show didn't air in Denver. Here is the reason the station gave.

CPT12’s Master Control experienced a technical glitch and missed the scheduled download from the server for Plastic Paradise. We did not capture a copy of the program so we cannot air it in the future. We apologize for the mishap. I was looking forward to watching it too.

Sincerely,
CPT12

My local PBS says they also did not download and don't have the show to air as well.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 10:58 am   Permalink

Swanky, did I see you in this show?

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-20 6:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-09-19 02:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
and is a fine example of united TC archeology (AND of what TC used to be good at: posting IMAGES!)...

Went though my photos today on my camera and like 80% are photos I put on TC.
But it takes lots of time, and the pay sucks.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation