FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Official Plastic Paradise Documentary Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Official Plastic Paradise Documentary Thread
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 10:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-30 07:26, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-06-29 13:59, arriano wrote:
Unfortunately, one of the ingredients listed is Don's Mix #7. I'm not sure if this has been figured out yet.

There's more information on "#7" here in this thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22455&forum=10&start=30&hilite=kona

Hurricane Hayward wrote about Don's Mix #7:
"It seems to be more commonly referred to as simply "Don's Mix" so the reference to "#7" threw me for a loop. The Bum's research points toward a 2:1 ratio of grapefruit to cinnamon and this seems to work great in many classic recipes. Trader Tiki's product is a fine re-creation as well."

I completely disagree on #7 being the grapefruit/cinnamon mix that The Bum gave us for the Zombie. That may be used for #4 in the Zombie, but #7 is different. Otherwise there would not be a #4 and a #7!

Like Mai-Kai: History, Mystery and Adventure the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 3 days ago; 12:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the additional info, Swanky. Based on HH's post, the thought occurred to me that #7 may have been another intentional obfuscation by Donn Beach to make things seem more complex than they really were.

If you or anyone else has any additional info, I'm very curious to hear it. I don't have the time to dig into it further right now, but I definitely will.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 4:00 pm   Permalink

On Atomic Grog's article about the Mai Kai's 151 Swizzle he writes:

Quote:
"I always knew there was a rich sweetness that helped offset the 151 rum, and my first two versions used sugar and/or cinnamon syrup. But the reddish orange hue confirmed that something else was at play here. I remembered references to a mysterious Licudine syrup called g#7 that included falernum and grenadine."

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/

At first I thought: "Aha!" But then I realized that the Don's Swizzle recipe already calls for falernum, and I wouldn't think you'd add a mix of that contained more falernum. You'd simply increase the falernum and add grenadine.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2015-06-30 16:00 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 06:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-30 16:00, arriano wrote:
On Atomic Grog's article about the Mai Kai's 151 Swizzle he writes:

Quote:
"I always knew there was a rich sweetness that helped offset the 151 rum, and my first two versions used sugar and/or cinnamon syrup. But the reddish orange hue confirmed that something else was at play here. I remembered references to a mysterious Licudine syrup called g#7 that included falernum and grenadine."

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/03/mai-kai-cocktail-review-robust-flavors-and-potency-are-hallmark-of-151-swizzle/

At first I thought: "Aha!" But then I realized that the Don's Swizzle recipe already calls for falernum, and I wouldn't think you'd add a mix of that contained more falernum. You'd simply increase the falernum and add grenadine.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2015-06-30 16:00 ]

Same thing for the #7 being grapefruit juice and cinnamon syrup in the Black Magic, which has grapefruit juice in it already. It kills the drink actually.

I do not know what #7 is, but I use a sweet/spicy mix that works. And Hayward says he uses Don's Spices I think, which is vanilla and allspice. I use allspice/honey/cinnamon. It works.

What any of these really were we may never know. We have an educated guess for the #4 in the Zombie by someone who actually tasted it. I have Mariano Licudine's notes on them, and it's kind of a mess.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2 days ago; 08:22 am   Permalink

Just finished watching this today. Great piece; I'm sharing it with friends to show them what it is I'm into.

Visit Patrick's Tiki Hut!

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 10:18 am   Permalink

BTW, it also shows the recipe for Donga Punch and Don Beach as "Don's Beach", which I have not seen out there...

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 01:06 am   Permalink

Regarding the mystery of Don's Swizzle, I suggest we try to find a color photo of the drink. That may help figure out what the numbered ingredients actually are. In recreating The Mai-Kai drinks, I would often find that the color of the drink yielded important clues and was crucial in confirming the accuracy of a recipe.

FYI, I'm as clueless as everyone else regarding what those numbers mean, unfortunately. I just know what the drinks taste like today at The Mai-Kai and have been able to figure out how to recreate them. Determining what they tasted like 40 years ago, or what Don's drinks tasted like 60 or 70 years ago, is a lot tougher. I tend to agree with Swanky that many of the old coded recipes are a mess and nearly impossible to figure out.

The official blog of The Hukilau

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2015-07-03 01:08 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation