FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Central Ohana » » Where are the first TCers today?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Where are the first TCers today?
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-11 4:02 pm   Permalink

Here is your very first post to this forum, and it's a good one!

(originally posted in 2002)

"Aloha, fellow Tiki-philes!

I've been quietly lurking along with you since before the demise of the yahoo Tiki-central- but Johntiki (and other MD/DC/VA area Tiki-philes) have finally pulled me out of lurk mode via his suggestion of a mid-Atlantic Tiki gathering, as I'm yet another Maryland Tiki addict! I don't keep up with reading TC as much as I'd like to, but here I've found a real community of people who have already taught me much! And I'm deeply grateful!

I grew up in Central Ohio- spending many a birthday or other special event at our beloved Kahiki. Even as a kid, they'd serve virgin drinks in coconut or skull or even headhunter mugs to take home, and the staff always treated us as island royalty.

In the Book of Tiki, you'll find a picture of the Kahiki in winter- which most closely matches my memories- driving through January cold and wind to pass through the fire capped Moai guarded doors, through the wonderful darkened cave passage with dripping glowing water, and then passing through the interior doors into paradise- a world unto itself where time, and the outside world seemed to fade. After an evening well spent with music drink, feasting and rainy thunderstorms, we would return back out into the cold landscape of Ohio only to find a fresh blanket of several inches of snow covering everything- (including the car)! Somehow, there's just nothing quite like island "artifacts" with fluffy white snow all around.

From those childhood memories- and interests in things like stage design, architectural preservation and good old fashioned Pagan debaucheries of various sorts came my adulthood love of all things Tiki- and my horror as the Kahiki was destroyed.
Unfortunately, I was only able to visit the Kahiki a few times as an adult (drinking age), but I do count it my good fortune, that I was able to take both my partner and close friend for a final Hoorah before the Kahiki closed. So I guess you can say I moved from being Tiki-positive to being actively Tiki participatory and preservationist around the time of the destruction of the Kahiki.

Naturally, the loss of such a temple, and my new home here in MD- (the land where the Tikis are almost forgot), led to a desire to create my only little corner of something Kahiki-esque or more generally Tiki preservationist, here at home, at least, to share in the wonder that was, and is, Tiki, and to pass along the knowledge to those few who seek it. The web being what it is, it was naturally, only a matter of time until I ran across Tiki central, the Tiki bar review page, the Tiki news, the book of Tiki, and thrift, garage sale, and e-bay treasures, and today's modern Tiki artisans.

By now I'm sure some of this is sounding pretty familiar, many people here probably could have written similar. In any case, I'm very glad to be among you, and hope to be a bit more active now that I'm no longer a TC lurker

-Sabina "

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-11 5:52 pm   Permalink

Awwww! (Blushing) Thanks!

(Yow!)

Now all these years later? I've actually come to own a couple Kahiki artifacts thanks to my Ohana here, (among other odds and ends) and now get to share them and those memories by way of my own little piece of paradise. So in a very weird sense, certain things have come full circle, all thanks to TC and the people who have made this place what it is.

My niece wasn't even born yet when the Kahiki was torn down. But the proverbial torches still burn hereabouts and she gets to touch that history because fellow Tikiphiles cared.

What a long, long way we've all come since 2002.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 09:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-01 18:11, aquarj wrote:
With a quick skim of the first 100 members on the Member List, it looks to me like about 17 are recent contributors on TC, as in, posting within the past month. 17% ain't TOO bad - I wonder what's the participation rate for the entire member list.

TC says there are 13,833 user accounts now, so I wonder if more than 17% have posted in the past month. That'd mean posts from 2350 different users in the past month. Maybe the oldtimers are keeping the average up, and it's the newcomers who're disappearing!

It also looks like 11 out of the first 100 are still grand members. In order for the member list at large to keep up with that rate, there would have to be 1521 current grand members in all. But there's only 245 grand members. So it looks like the oldtimers (first 100 anyway) are definitely keeping the average up! Oldtimers (from first 100) as grand members = 1 in 9. All users as grand members = 1 in 56!!!

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with who's showing up at events. But kinda interesting.

-Randy

Wow, crazy to see over 15,000 users! I already felt like I was late to the party back when I joined in 2006, although I had been lurking for over a year. To think membership tripled after that! It feels like - in Texas anyway - the Tiki fad of the mid-2000s has long been over. One would think this site would be realllly quite these days. But good to see it still going strong!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 6:57 pm   Permalink

"Where are the first TCers today?"

Facebook I bet,
It must be Sad to start a topic forum,
See it grow, change, morph into something really cool.
Then be kneecapped by a social networking fad.

I keep waiting for something to take over like FB
Did to MySpace. All that time n effort on
Your little slice of the net, gone down the tubes.

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-23 2:33 pm   Permalink

Was thinking about this thread today. Was thinking about it yesterday, too. Come to think of it, this thread's been on my mind quite a lot over the past few months.

And feeling a little down about the state of "tiki culture" today, I decided to look up this thread and see where it went. I remembered right when Atomic Tiki Punk started it. That was what, about a year or so ago? Maybe revisiting it, I thought, will somehow elevate the gloomy mood.

Actually, it made it worse---finding the thread and seeing that no, it's not from a year ago, it's not from two years ago,
it's actually from 2012. If my cocktail-napkin math is correct, that's a half a decade in the past. So, in other words, a half a decade ago already the group of what, 20, 30, 40 odd stragglers who were still actively part of this community at the time were sitting here wondering what the heck had happened. Wow. A half a decade is more or less a generation. That's longer than what people get for their entire life's worth of high school years, or their college years. And for that long things have been quiet and "off" around here, with a sense that the "Ohana" be gonna. It's kind of staggering, if not morbidly depressing. I just checked and ATP himself, and his moniker from "Costa Misery" that always made me smile, has apparently joined the other Ghost Users of Tiki Central Past---he hasn't posted on here at all in over a year. Where did he go? Why? And what happened to forgotten tikiman and White Devil, both frequent posters and good contributors to the site? They've been deleted. Why?

When I first posted to this thread---a half decade ago---my thought was that Facebook was killing it. Well it was probably that, but there has to be more to it. The two sites are not mutually exclusive. Marie's on FB and is connected with a lot of tiki people there, and we can verify that the draw of FB eventually pulled some people away, because that (and not here) was where everyone was actively posting. I think JOHN-O even admitted this when he stepped out the door with a wave. But what I can't figure out is, why abandon this place? It's solid. No ads. Not owned by a totalitarian corporate behemoth interested only in selling all your private data to other unseen entities. There is so much information here. That's why I'm always so happy to see new stuff from Dusty and Tipsy and tikiskip and the like, and am glad Bigbro is always contributing his knowledge and experience here. It may be slow these days and I know I'm as lax as anyone---I actually have multiple folders on the computer of photos and notes to share on TC, and some of these unpublished things go back 4 or 5 years---but even so I'll never abandon this place, there's too much here and it's still the first place and the best place to go to. It became the home of the "Ohana." That's why I was kind of bummed yesterday when I realized it was no longer possible to even send a PM to Hanford Lemoore, who started it---not even hacking around some of the php will permit any contact with him on here at all. I'd just wanted to tell him, and it is truly sincere, that I believe I love TC as much as he does. TC is almost 20 years old. It's outlasted almost everything online, and that's an achievement. Lurking or not, this place has been part of the background ambience of my life for almost half of it. My mind's eye catches the calm flicker of the neon TC logo all the time, and the yellow text atop the pool-table green of the discussion boards rolls down in recollection of many discussions had on here going back many, many years.

(And who is Jennifer Thompson? I find two references to the name in my email archives, one as the author of a tiki drink book and another as someone involved with a site called goClick. Hanford says she is the co-creator of Tiki Central. I don't remember her---did she have a nom de tiki?)

We got into tiki sometime in college, in those years of the 90s when the "cocktail revival" was an emerging trend. Combustible Edison coming out on one of my favorite record labels was like a wake-up call ... you didn't just have to listen to rock, but all that "beautiful music" of the past that you always loved was a-ok, too. Esquivel was reissued, the movie Swingers came out about the cocktail scene and all of this new media coverage about "tiki bars" and "retro" helped seal the deal. We knew we were home.

In the late 90s we were already collecting, even selling stuff on eBay. Vintage tiki was plentiful and easy to find. We hated new developments and strip malls and made in China junk, we loved old vintage stuff and went all-in on being a retro: space age appliances, vintage clothes, really everything but the car (not being in Cali, cool rust-free rides are much harder to come by).

Then the Kahiki happened. Soon after we went there, and were bit with tiki fever, came the news that it was going to be sold and demolished. To make matters worse, it would be for the Enemy: a big corporate chain! The same ones who were ruining every street-corner and neighborhood in the nation. That meant war ... it was our first foray into historic preservation. We learned a lot and made many contacts, and a desperate, angry letter in defense of the Kahiki---one that I believe is the first to mention the dreaded "Curse of the Kahiki"---is still out there, posted in a little corner of the net. Looking back in my email archives, I see messages that I was sending to the media about saving it and I was passing along bigbro's svenkirsten.com site for their reference concerning photos of the place---which is funny to think of now, because that was years before we even got to know him!

Some things happened in the course of that preservation attempt which made us, wrongly or rightly, pretty cynical and bitter about the emerging Tiki Revival, and we did two things that I now regret: we refused an invite by the Kahiki's owner to visit it in private one last time, and we didn't bother with signing up on the Tiki Central yahoo group or the site when it finally came about. By 2001, we had discovered Treasure Island, Florida, which at the time was still a well-preserved mid-century modern mecca (and whose big tiki past has only barely begun to be documented on TC), and we invested a lot of time and effort into raising awareness for that.

But even though I avoided TC, I was on other Tiki-related mailing lists---including "Exotica," a music discussion list, and again in my archives I see a conversation I had in 2002 with Tiki Kiliki about an endangered tiki palace, the Frank Wallace designed private "tiki" house in south Tulsa, and she told me she was posting my info on the then-new Tiki Central.

By 2003 the mention of "tiki" in my emails had grown exponentially. Many were mails from Marie; our tiki fever was incurable. It's funny to see Tiki News emails from Otto mentioning "the Tiki Central bulletin board." Eventually we commenced work on our own home tiki lounge, started going to the Hukilau and other Tiki events, joined TC, and began meeting the various people that we had only known online through majordomo mailing lists and html 3.0 hand-coded web sites. Things went into high gear with great-looking new sites like Critiki, and with so many new tiki events and new places and products, and with meeting artists like Bosko and Tiki Tony, and in all this there was a happy excitement about all of the great Tiki projects and plannings to come---but all of a sudden it just kind of felt like the "poly pop" aka "Tiki Revival" ended and imploded prematurely. Then soon came this thread. Good things still happen in the Tiki world, of course, but there's been some kind of change happening, too. We're regulars at one tiki establishment where, on the last TC night we attended, the DJ shared with us his own view of what was happening there: only the three of us were TC people, and he said that nowadays it's not the Tiki people that we know of who are into it and regulars there as much as it's a new crowd, college kids and people just out of school who think it's "cool" but are definitely not part of the Tiki world of before---and they're all young enough to romanticize the world of our early twenties and the "cocktail nation" and early Tiki Revival eras.

And all that reminds me so much of something I saw before in life. The 90s "alternative" or "indie rock" so-called "movement," grunge and all the rest of it, seemed to end just as the big party opened its doors. Agree completely with sentiments on this thread to the effect that it seemed like at some point it felt like there were no "tiki people" at tiki events anymore, or that people had gotten into it for different reasons and you no longer felt like a part of what was going on. We've felt all that. The last Tiki event where we really felt like a part of it and were genuinely happy was the 2008 Hukilau. Since then, the tone and tenor of tiki events have changed for us. And there was a lot of mixing and mushing with rockabilly and other things at some events where a "tiki pole" was kind of just part of the background iconography ... and at times, to those who were not part of these other scenes, it was almost like seeing the tapas pattern on a bag of Costco tortilla chips.

This general trending has had other deleterious effects. We lost way too much tiki in the past few years, and much of it I don't think we had to. I think if there was more of a Tiki community extant now, there would've been a good chance that some of these places would have been saved. One of LA's most successful mid-century preservationists had told us the big struggle they've had is that most of these communities are so insular---the diner people only care about the diners, the sign people only care about the signs, the tiki people only care about tiki bars, the Eichler people only care about Eichlers, and so on, and if everyone could get together and help one another out things would be so much better. But now with tiki it's at the point where there is no "tiki people," at least not in one recognizable place that I can see.

I still can't believe I've been privately mourning all this for a half a decade now, though. We do have good friends in Tiki, many still here on TC, but you know, the thought that there really is no "Ohana," that is something that is a bit hard to swallow. So we say that we are the Ohana, and that we're going to keep it going, and even if the number is few we know there are others out there who are filled with the Tiki spirit as it was always presented.

It's like the early-2000s "Tiki Revival" or "Poly Pop" movement ended so long ago, yet it seems like just the other day when we all felt it leaving the launch pad. Looking back, sure, I have some regrets. Maybe I'd neglected to cash in my ticket and go for the ride. Maybe it's gone. But I still, somehow, believe in it, even if I end up being one of the last guys standing in this quiet village. I just know that I'm still here in the tiki lounge, and the records are on, and tonight the mood is just right ... it's a clear winter night with the last of the cold, and stepping out for a second I almost thought that I actually saw it, high to the west, with a twinkle and shine.

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2017-03-24 10:37 ]

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-24 10:00 am   Permalink

Here I am to toss my late-to-the-party post on the pile. Hello! I'm still pretty darned into Tiki in a heavy way, though I'm not around Tiki Central nearly as much.

So yeah, Facebook. No doubt, huge factor, likely the biggest factor. There are many Tiki-related Facebook groups that are very active, including countless regionally-focused Tiki groups. It's so much easier to post, share and get feedback there, and it's a much richer overall sharing-your-life-with-your-tiki-friends experience.

Tiki Central is also really hard to deal with on a mobile phone. More than half of the traffic to Critiki comes from people on a mobile phone; mobile traffic is growing quickly while desktop use is plummeting.

People are gone from Tiki Central, but I assure you, they're not gone from Tiki. I'm still seeing the same old faces at tiki bars and events, talking tiki on Facebook and sharing their latest finds, and plenty of the old-timers are still using Critiki. Usage of Critiki has increased pretty significantly over the last few years. Plus I'm meeting TONS of new people who have a genuine love for this stuff. Awesome people, you'd like them! It's sad to see folks aren't using Tiki Central like they once did, but from where I'm sitting, it's got nothing to do with Tiki.

The elephant in the room: how much longer can Tiki Central last? What will come of it? I'm reluctant to put my tiki-information-sharing energy into a site that is at risk of total collapse. It's a great repository of information that can't be found anywhere else, but what happens when it disappears? I've agonized over this, but I've also come to terms with it.

I will always love Tiki Central. It brought so many wonderful things to my life. I'm still around, but in a different way these days, and mostly elsewhere.

Critiki - Critiki News - Ooga-Mooga

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-03-24 8:45 pm   Permalink

You know we were so lucky to meet mike and marie a number of times and have them to our house.
They are two very nice people.

You know this kinda got me thinking.
“and it's a much richer overall sharing-your-life-with-your-tiki-friends experience’
Many of the people still active on TC don’t do other types of “social media” isn’t Facebook more of an anti-social media as you let in certain people, sometimes the ones you know already?

“People are gone from Tiki Central, but I assure you, they're not gone from Tiki”
That may be a California thing, many tiki bars are going out around the globe even in California.
I think tiki will always be bigish in California as it fits.

“The elephant in the room: how much longer can Tiki Central last?”
So what will that do to the events? Tiki mag?
Or even the popularity of the tiki drinks, who are you selling that next book to?
Will the loss of TC hurt those types of things?

Ever notice when a TCer writes a book they come back to TC right before the book comes out?
Then bail after the book is done sellin.

I just sold a bunch of lights to a tiki bar that that would never have even known about me if not for TC.
And if I type in Tiki bar lights many of the images are pics of my lights lifted from TC, heck type in Kahiki or many tiki searches and images posted to TC pop up.

What ramifications will no more TC have on these issues?

In the past old TC folk were kind of being brought into the new larger TC and getting lost in the bigger pool of tiki folks.
Some of them did not like this and took their tiki ball and went home to Facebook where all the people they knew already were waiting.

That’s why I think the whole “Aloha” and “Ohanna” thing is such BS.
Those words should be banned from TC same as religion and politics are.

Dance with the girl you took to the party.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2017-03-24 20:52 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-24 10:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-24 20:45, tikiskip wrote:
Many of the people still active on TC don’t do other types of “social media” isn’t Facebook more of an anti-social media as you let in certain people, sometimes the ones you know already?

It very much used to be that way! That was an early downside of FB, to be sure. But the use of the FB groups has really exploded over the last few years, and those are wide open, just like Tiki Central. It's now a place to broaden your social circle and meet new people, if that's something you're interested in. Plenty of real-world meetups get coordinated there, especially in the regionally-focused groups.

Quote:

“People are gone from Tiki Central, but I assure you, they're not gone from Tiki”
That may be a California thing, many tiki bars are going out around the globe even in California.
I think tiki will always be bigish in California as it fits.

Couple things: I was talking about the question of where the original Tiki Central people have gone, rather than the places. But re: the places, I kinda have my finger on the pulse of the comings & goings of tiki spots. True, California will always have it pretty darned good, but there are a ton of new places opening all over the place. Doesn't take the sting out of losing a great older place, though. Back to the people: the old timers I'm still seeing are spread out all over the world, not just California folks.

Quote:

“The elephant in the room: how much longer can Tiki Central last?”
So what will that do to the events? Tiki mag?
Or even the popularity of the tiki drinks, who are you selling that next book to?
Will the loss of TC hurt those types of things?

Ever notice when a TCer writes a book they come back to TC right before the book comes out?
Then bail after the book is done sellin.

I just sold a bunch of lights to a tiki bar that that would never have even known about me if not for TC.
And if I type in Tiki bar lights many of the images are pics of my lights lifted from TC, heck type in Kahiki or many tiki searches and images posted to TC pop up.

What ramifications will no more TC have on these issues?

It's hard to say, really, but I think these are good questions to be asking. I would guess that tiki events, book sales, that sort of thing, the general modern promotional stuff, I really don't think that would be impacted. All that information is getting disseminated more effectively in other venues, it gets cross-posted here on TC as more of a "what the heck, doesn't hurt to post it here, too" thing. It's the information that isn't available anywhere else that would be the big loss. If your information is only posted here, it may be worth considering if there are other places you want to make sure that info is also available, should there be a catastrophic server failure here at TC. tikiskip, your lamp work is fantastic and more folks should know about it—TC lifespan question aside, it's worth thinking about how you could be sharing what you've done in other places. Assuming you aren't interested in setting up over at FB (totally understandable), perhaps Flickr or Instagram, or even your own simple website to show off your stuff.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-24 10:44 pm   Permalink

mike and marie, regarding the specific members you asked about: ATP hasn't posted in over a year because he was banned last February (unnecessarily, in my opinion.)

I believe White Devil was banned a couple years earlier.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-03-24 11:27 pm   Permalink

I am on FaceBook and spend considerable time there. It is very good for a way to see what your friends are up to, but it is LOUSY as a repository for knowledge. It's biggest flaw is that it isn't searchable. There are thousands of posts on TC, but you can almost always find the most obscure post with just a little creative searching.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-03-25 02:53 am   Permalink

MadDogMike If this was Facebook now I'd like what you posted and give it a thumbs up. And in a couple days or so it would essentially disappear never to be seen again, I've seen groups dwindle down to a couple posts a month, even less, that had once been very active. I'm on a number of tiki/exotica groups on Facebook and sure they can be fun but one doesn't learn much and the questions asked that require more than basic knowledge seem to be answered by people who are still currently involved in TC. As far as making friends on Facebook well I've made "Facebook friends" on Facebook I've made tiki friends person to person who i keep in touch with Facebook but in reality most of the rest (not all) probably just see me as a number to add to their "friends" list. To rant a bit more I get friends requests from people with whom I share interests that seem more likely to just be promoting themselves or their products not really interested in any real sort of interaction. TC is still the source of tiki/polypop history people find first on the web and often is the source of the only information you'll find on places or people. Much that which has been cataloged here has disappeared from the original web sources so if TC goes down its gone to be replaced by Party City and Big Lots. The drinks will soon enough revert to the 70's mai tai's, fashion will still have rockabilly to look to and Link Wray crossed with Punk will still be the "tiki" music that entertains us.

p.s. I don't have great faith in the new folks drawn to tiki, they seem to be interested in one aspect, say the drinks for instance and only slowly show interest in the rest... of course there are exceptions.

yours rantingly, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-25 06:12 am   Permalink

I want to be clear here: you guys are 100% correct about the heavy downsides of Facebook, and I share your fears and frustrations about it. My discussion of the way FB is serving today's tiki audience was an explanation of why people are there and not here. Short version: it's easier, and people like easy. I'm with you: the short term satisfaction of lots of immediate feedback doesn't outweigh the fact that Facebook treats it all as ephemeral. Poof! It's gone. So I don't do my deeper tiki thinking and research there. But I don't do it here, either, because I know how the sausage is made, and I know there's a huge risk of Poof! It's gone here, as well. (For a taste of that, just look at all of the dead image links on some of the best old threads.) So, I do it on Critiki.

(I've moved Critiki off of the server it used to share with Tiki Central, it's now on a much more robust infrastructure. The move of O-M to a similar setup is underway right now.)

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-25 06:53 am   Permalink

As for the future of TC the website, I have been thinking about it along with my own sites for a couple of years. It will all evaporate within a year or less of Hanford passing. Yeah, we are getting old and dying. How many great websites have evaporated already? LOTS. TC requires someone knowledgeable to manage it and someone to keep paying the bills. Either of those stops and the website likely has less than a year to live. poof!

It's also hard to say whether it should be upgraded. This BB is stuck in 2003. Hanford made a lot of custom tweaks to the code and upgrading to the newest phpBB version would wipe out his changes, but make it more accessible to mobile users. It would also take a very long dedicated weekend by someone as smart as Hanford in computer ways. But would be worth it to perhaps stop spam and hacks.

I also think someone could turn the Locating Tiki forum into a killer book. But having spent the time to make a book, I doubt there is anyone out there willing to commit to such an ordeal. It's a rambling mess. If you had been blogging about Locating Tiki for 10 years and taking that rambling mess and editing it into readable interesting posts, you could turn that blog into a book easy enough. But no one did that.

It should be mothballed. I don't mean killed or taken down, I mean it should be placed in a trust with managers and funded to live forever. There should be 6-10 people, probably best to be developers who can maintain the php code, etc., who are in charge of keeping it alive. The domain should be paid for in 10 year increments or more, along with the hosting. Hosting is probably $100 a year, mine is. Domains are $10-15 a year. For $2000 you could insure TC exists for 10 years. You get people like Humu and me and Hanford and others who can manage the code, the backups, the web stuff on a board and as long as 1 or 2 of us give a crap to spend the time on it, it will continue for decades regardless.

I still visit TC daily. Probably at least twice a day. I recently posted something here and on FB and I can tell you I got more traffic from my TC post than my FB post. Why? Because FB manipulates traffic and prevents your posts from being seen by a lot of people to try to get you to pay them to show it to more people. There is still a lot of power in a good old website. There is still room for someone to wipe out FB. I actually have a great idea for it if anyone knows some really rich people to invest...

The web world is aching for content. There are lots of sites that are hustling all day long to find something to share. TC has content in spades. It could be a gold mine if it was correctly mined...

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-25 07:02 am   Permalink

I can't get into the details because it's not my story to tell, but unfortunately it's not quite as simple as it appears from the outside. TC has some mods done to it that make this otherwise reasonable proposal exceedingly difficult. Believe me, when I say I've agonized over this, I mean it.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-25 07:26 am   Permalink

I'm still here!!
Posting stuff I build as usual.
Latest projects Tiki Cat in KC, Mo.
and The Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach is Back!!!
more soon!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson,
Don the Beachcomber, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation