FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Who likes Tiki!?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Who likes Tiki!?
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 08:47 am   Permalink

I thought there was a need for a really pointless post.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 1:04 pm   Permalink

arriano, go straight to bilge with the rest of us, smart asses!

P.S. I like Tikis!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-24 1:46 pm   Permalink

I do.

Am I the only one who has a weird feeling like I'm on my wedding? Hmm... Propably delusion...

View Profile of Jürka Send a personal message to Jürka  Email Jürka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 3:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-24 08:47, arriano wrote:
Who likes Tiki!?

probably not his ex-wife...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 3:55 pm   Permalink

Tikis or Tiki's?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 4:01 pm   Permalink

What's Tiki?

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-24 5:43 pm   Permalink

No. Owls are where it's at.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-10-16 2:00 pm   Permalink

I especially like these Tiki Farm commemorative "Love, American Style" martini glasses. Does anyone have one to sell or trade?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-16 11:13 pm   Permalink

A lotta times I think I like Tiki but then others who know better say the Tiki I like ain't really Tiki so I stop likin it cuz I don't wanna look like a dork.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-17 12:43 am   Permalink

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-10-17 08:45 am   Permalink

Quote:
A lotta times I think I like Tiki but then others who know better say the Tiki I like ain't really Tiki so I stop likin it cuz I don't wanna look like a dork.

Well, that's the beauty of Tiki: it can mean whatever you want it to mean. Just look at the diversity of influences throughout the field: Don Ho, Metallica, Rat Fink, surfing, The Monkees, monsters, Wacky Packs, etc. These early Tiki Farm collaborations, for instance, take great liberties with traditional tiki forms, but still manage to capture the spirit of Polynesian spirituality...

These "Ziggy Stackers" really capture the subtle, wry humor of the comic character in much the same way as Hawaiian carvers imparted the same characteristics to their Ku figures...

The more traditional "Berenstain Bears" collaborative mug was a blatant effort to appeal to younger, more feminine, less austere preferences...

And while the "tikiness" may be lost in the "Precious Moments Tiki Sippy," it does harken back to the vintage big-eye paintings of the Keanes...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 3:52 pm   Permalink

Dirty Loops don't like Tiki...that's fo-sure.....but, they ARE Dirty loops so who gives a whip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVGJ3YFDc8

PS, Big Tiki Dude turned me on to these guys.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 4:15 pm   Permalink

It is so sad to see a bunch of talented musicians playing such crappy muzak.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-22 16:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
It is so sad to see a bunch of talented musicians playing such crappy muzak.

Well, they are a swedish band of VERY well trained musicians, whose specialty lies in taking crappy pop songs by Beiber and Brittney Spears and company, and actually trying to make them good. Whether they succeed of not is a matter of personal taste. Me? I like how they totally change the chords and do the songs completely differently...if you think about it, this is basically what bebop jazz musicians would do in the 40's and 50's....take pop standards and then totally goof on them.
The bass player is very well regarded among other bass players, despite his somewhat wierd appearance....
If you are not into smooth jazz or fusion funk...this won't be your cup of tea, that's for sure....but I got to say, I have spent my whole life trying to be as good on bass as that kid is already.
Whether the average person connects with this band, or this style....probably not so much...but among musicians....that's a different story!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-02 07:10 am   Permalink

On the fence, but I love polka!

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation