[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars looking for bar top ideas
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
looking for bar top ideas
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 12:16 pm   Permalink

I want to build an outside tiki bar. It will likely be covered, but I would prefer to make it durable to hold up to the elements...which here in Michigan includes freezing temps in addition to uv, heat, and wet weather.

So if you have any ideas and/or a photo to two to share, I'd appreciate it.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-27 12:17 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 2:15 pm   Permalink

Slate or traverine Tile.

Get the kind with the mesh backing that holds all the little peices together.

Has a rustic look and should last a lifetime.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 2:50 pm   Permalink

Glass mosaic from the BOT.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 6:42 pm   Permalink

Concrete with embossed designs such as palm leaves, tiki shapes, or tapa cloth shapes.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 03:41 am   Permalink

Here's how we tackled ours....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=14117&forum=20&start=75

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 04:31 am   Permalink

Some great work there McTiki! Love the look. Do the fish and shells stick up above the other pieces? Does that create a problem with tipping over drinks? I need to make the bar drunk proof lol.

@Bongo Bungalow sounds cool too. Got any photos? What's the best way to make something like that?

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rikitiki

Posted: 2012-08-28 11:50 am   Permalink

Here is what I did . 2x6 pine, edged with 1x4 pine, edge glued and biscuit joined, then stained and finished w/ 3 coats of gloss Minwax spar urethane . It is covered but, not impervious to rain . I am in less than tropical PA ...

Palapa table, similar process but, no stain and the boards are separate ...

View Profile of Rikitiki Send a personal message to Rikitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 12:28 pm   Permalink

Nice bar you have there. I like the lights too...what are you using under the bar for lights?

Rikitiki

Posted: 2012-08-28 12:56 pm   Permalink

Rope lights ...

View Profile of Rikitiki Send a personal message to Rikitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-28 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-28 04:31, jimsflies wrote:
Some great work there McTiki! Love the look. Do the fish and shells stick up above the other pieces? Does that create a problem with tipping over drinks? I need to make the bar drunk proof lol.

@Bongo Bungalow sounds cool too. Got any photos? What's the best way to make something like that?

No....all of the fish and other creatures protrude a little bit....drinks go on the 2x12 marine wood wrap. Sobriety? Lol ....I have a reputation to uphold.... Thanks for the look...... and nice words.

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rikitiki

Posted: 2012-08-29 12:52 pm   Permalink

McTiki, I always loved that mosaic bar top of yours and your bar in general ...

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 1:10 pm   Permalink

I've got a lead on a pre-fab bar for a reasonable price in great shape...just not sure if it fits my tiki thinking. It does match other outdoor wicker furniture I have. And I suppose a few tikis could be hung on the front to give it some tiki-ness.

Any thoughts? Go with something like this or hold out and build something?

As for building something...I have been looking at concrete countertops with embedded fiber optics.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2012-08-29 13:12 ]

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 5:45 pm   Permalink

Permanancy is a built.....toe in da water is prefab.....

You can do this..... look around bro....

Welcome !

Mahalo!

McTiki

qh tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-30 10:58 am   Permalink

Check out my post; QH Tiki Deck... I used 5 colors of composite decking, cut to shape in layed in like a puzzle. Raised rattan along edges holds all pieces tight.

View Profile of qh tiki Send a personal message to qh tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 11:12 am   Permalink

Yeah that looks pretty cool. Great idea!

So are the pieces just sandwiched in there or are they glued or fastened? I assume there is a solid board under them?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation