FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Three Dots and a Dash, Chicago, IL (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Three Dots and a Dash, Chicago, IL (bar)
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-26 10:19 am   Permalink

Cool!!! Hope I can make it and have the Bum sign my already battered copy.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
randomcha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-07 12:31 pm   Permalink

Here's another reason why you should come to Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's book party on Sunday: yours truly will be the DJ! I've put together a solid 4-hour mix that'll help get you in that tropical island mood. Here's a taste--hope to see you there (and please introduce yourself!)

spoti.fi/1g5FBCe

View Profile of randomcha Send a personal message to randomcha  Email randomcha Goto the website of randomcha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-07 12:53 pm   Permalink

So glad I stumbled on this!
I'll be in Chicago for one day only, Sunday!
Long story but it's a day full of: Robie House, Chef Shangri-La, Hale Kahiki, Sky Deck, Superdawg and Three Dots and a Dash!

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-08 11:26 am   Permalink

Glad to hear you'll be around, Pauly, and they picked a good one for DJ-ing, Rob!

We're definitely planning to come out and hoping it won't be a mob scene.

Fortunately I think the typical crowd at Three Dots probably won't have much interest in this,
leaving plenty of room for the rest of us.

Plus Sundays there tend to be pretty low key.

Lookin' forward to it!

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-11 08:40 am   Permalink

Anybody here make the scene??? Hope it was well attended, I'd love to see the Bum come back sometime to guest bartend, that'd be awesome!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-11 2:04 pm   Permalink

i made it out there sunday- got see the beach bum and company. good scene, not too crowded but full. had some great drinks off the new menu of drinks right outta the book. book is great, nice addition to the collection and good to see berry again. At one point he spoke for about 30 minutes on the book, the history of tiki drinks and vintage chicago tiki establishments. good stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2014-03-11 14:05 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiare
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-14 1:06 pm   Permalink

Hi- I am finally going to get to visit Three Dot's this month. I am going on a Sunday. Do I need to make a reservation or it is pretty low key that day?

Thanks!

http://alohatiki.blogspot.com
A sporadically updated blog about tiki, food and stuff.

View Profile of Tiare Send a personal message to Tiare  Goto the website of Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
randomcha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-14 1:10 pm   Permalink

Exciting! Provided you get there before 7 on a Sunday, there's a very good chance you'll be able to belly up to the bar without difficulties. If you intend to go with a party of 3 or more, however, a reservation is your best bet. Don't hesitate to request an "off menu" drink; the folks behind the stick will do their best to rise to the challenge. (Probably my two fave off menu drinks are the Pupule and Tortuga.)

View Profile of randomcha Send a personal message to randomcha  Email randomcha Goto the website of randomcha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-15 09:42 am   Permalink

If you are not there at opening and are looking for a bar seat, order your drink at the bar and stick close. The bar spots have tended to turn over fairly regularly when we have been there, which has mostly been early on a Sunday.

TT

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiare
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-15 11:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips. I will have 3 people in my party, hmm, maybe I better make a reservation. Looking forward to it!!

View Profile of Tiare Send a personal message to Tiare  Goto the website of Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-07-16 12:24 am   Permalink

Tiare, definitely visit Three Dots and a Dash, but since you'll be so close, do not miss Hala Kahiki!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 05:42 am   Permalink

Hey Tiare if you have time David Burke has good steaks, Be sure to check out
the salt walled steak drying room.
http://www.davidburkesprimehouse.com/

And when in Chicago one should go and at least see the Drake hotel.
(The Cape Cod room and COQ D'OR are both in the Drake hotel)

The Cape Cod room since opening in 1933 and has been a holiday award winner for 35 years.
To this day visitors to the Cape Cod Room can see the initials of Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio carved into the world famous wooden bar.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/illinois/the-drake-hotel-CHIDHHH/dining/index.html

And they have...
COQ D'OR

The legendary bar opened one day after the repeal of Prohibition on December 6, 1933.

Both are close to Three dots we walked.
Have fun, Chicago is awesome!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-31 12:12 pm   Permalink

New interview with Paul McGee. They're going to be releasing 4 new mugs, new swizzles and some new cocktails.
http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2014/07/31/three-dots-one-year-in-paul-mcgee.php?mobile=false

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2014-07-31 13:02 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-01 06:42 am   Permalink

Visited 3 Dots. My impression was that they were in a rush to get open and had the basics walls done and it went over well, so they just never finished.

Drinks were good, but they are not the exact classics. They put a lot into their garnishes and mugs.

If you could just merge 3 Dots with Hala Kahiki and have a great looking place with great cocktails and food, you'd be rockin'.

And I am not saying they have to go all crazy with décor. They can do a lot more and keep a more clean and modern aesthetic too.

Vern turned me on to a Craft Cocktail bar The Berkshire Room maybe a mile north that was great.

I think 3 Dots is a themed craft cocktail bar. Chicago is still waiting for someone to really nail the Tiki bar idea. But it may be very difficult to get it done right there in downtown where 3 Dots is, and if you do it right out in the burbs, you may not be a success. Tough thing to do I am sure.

There were 12 people in line with us on a Thursday to get in. A year into it, they are doing well. I overheard the guy down the bar asking about mugs to take home and the drinks were good and looked good.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
randomcha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-02 2:33 pm   Permalink

On Monday night they celebrate their first anniversary with free swag, and new drinks and tiki mugs: http://chicagoist.com/2014/08/02/pencil_this_in_three_dots_and_a_das.php

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation