FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Three Dots and a Dash, Chicago, IL (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
Three Dots and a Dash, Chicago, IL (bar)
Kahiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-17 04:52 am   Permalink

that's a labor intensive process for ice...I get it...but still.

View Profile of Kahiki Guy Send a personal message to Kahiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom

Posted: 27 days ago; 01:22 am   Permalink

Interesting changes afoot:

http://chicago.eater.com/2016/4/29/11531788/new-three-dots-and-a-dash-menu-tiki-cocktail-juilan-cox

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 12:06 pm   Permalink

Just saw those on their FB page recently. Really digging that tentacle mug and the teal coconut. Hopefully they'll put them on their online store. Don't see getting back there anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of Kahiki Guy Send a personal message to Kahiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 3:26 pm   Permalink

I'm here now - wave mug and octopus mug not available yet - I got the other three - new menus are great too !!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 25 days ago; 2:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-05-03 15:26, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
I'm here now - wave mug and octopus mug not available yet - I got the other three - new menus are great too !!

Tipsy, can you post a pic of the new menu? Is it the same as the big one on their website (it's like 10 pages!) I loved the "totem" one they had when I was there last year.

EDIT- I saw the pic on your FB page, but couldn't tell what the whole menu looked like now. Looks like it may be multi-page? I dig the blue skull mug. Nice location-specific mugger.
Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: finky099 2016-05-04 14:59 ]

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-05-04 14:56, finky099 wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-05-03 15:26, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

Tipsy, can you post a pic of the new menu? Is it the same as the big one on their website (it's like 10 pages!) I loved the "totem" one they had when I was there last year.

EDIT- I saw the pic on your FB page, but couldn't tell what the whole menu looked like now. Looks like it may be multi-page? I dig the blue skull mug. Nice location-specific mugger.
Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: finky099 2016-05-04 14:59 ]

the menu is multi page, full color eye candy. really well done.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 4:24 pm   Permalink

Dave, snap a few drink pix when you go. I haven't seen any yet. The décor looks cool. Some of the mugs I saw on the pic of the menu on the Locating Tiki thread remind me of previous ones at Three Dots/Lost Lake.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 22 days ago; 3:17 pm   Permalink

New mugs on their website right now

randomcha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 19 days ago; 08:23 am   Permalink

My latest visit to Three Dots and a Dash was dispiriting (no pun intended). Here's my mournful report: http://chicagoist.com/2016/05/11/three_dots_and_a_dash_skips_a_beat.php

View Profile of randomcha Send a personal message to randomcha  Email randomcha Goto the website of randomcha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 08:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-05-10 08:23, randomcha wrote:
My latest visit to Three Dots and a Dash was dispiriting (no pun intended). Here's my mournful report: http://chicagoist.com/2016/05/11/three_dots_and_a_dash_skips_a_beat.php

I just saw that and came here to post that link. Nice work. Some real zingers in there. "So, what's morse code for 'defeat"?' Love it.

Hope Tipsy brought his fat wallet!

TT

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 18 days ago; 12:39 pm   Permalink

Yikes... There are some good lessons to be learned in that review. Experiences like these, where a bar falls short of expectations, make my home bar (and the money I invest there) even more valuable to me because I know I won't be disappointed with the drinks, music, and atmosphere. And those are the three solid things which draw me to tiki bars.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheDrunkenTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 18 days ago; 7:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I've been twice since they implemented the new menu and this is spot on.

The major issue seems to be that Lettuce Entertain You doesn't care about tiki and are only interested in making money. They are a big company. I know part of the reason Paul left was that when they came to him he was promised he could do what ever he wanted, but once they opened they started telling to cut costs, use cheaper rums, etc.

You may not have seen unless you were seated at the bar, but some of the cocktail are now batch and poured from a tap. My Mai Tai, Three Dots & a Dash, and I believe Dead Reckoning were tapped into a measuring cup, poured over ice, and garnished.

View Profile of TheDrunkenTiki Send a personal message to TheDrunkenTiki  Email TheDrunkenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 17 days ago; 5:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-05-11 19:31, TheDrunkenTiki wrote:
Quote:

I've been twice since they implemented the new menu and this is spot on.

You may not have seen unless you were seated at the bar, but some of the cocktail are now batch and poured from a tap. My Mai Tai, Three Dots & a Dash, and I believe Dead Reckoning were tapped into a measuring cup, poured over ice, and garnished.

Watching them get individually handmade is one of the things I love about sitting at the bar. I suppose if they were still using proper, high quality ingredients, I'd be marginally alright with pre-making the more popular drinks. But not at premium prices.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 9:05 pm   Permalink

Meh !!

This last time I was in there was the first time since Paul Mcgee left for lost lake. Quite frankly, I thought the drinks were good since I hadn't had them in awhile and I didn't really notice what music was playing which means it must have been okay because I wasn't bothered by it. Sure the drinks are pricey but I would never be foolish enough to waste money on those group drinks. Two or three drinks is my limit if I'm driving so it's really not too expensive of a visit, as long as I'm not buying tiki mugs !!! Now that adds up !

I just don't go there enough to really care if it's authentic enough for the critics.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-05-12 21:06 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation