FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Has anyone heard about a new tiki bar opening in San Diego in the near-ish future?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Has anyone heard about a new tiki bar opening in San Diego in the near-ish future?
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 4:05 pm   Permalink

One of my friends is the general manager of a few bars here in San Diego. He had dinner with a couple of liquor purveyors and they said that the owners of Smuggler's Cove in San Francisco were in the early stages of opening a new tiki bar in San Diego.

Does anyone have more info on this???

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-29 7:26 pm   Permalink

I have not heard, but I would be really excited!!! I'll keep my ears open and let you guys know if I hear anything...

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 7:44 pm   Permalink

that would be awesome,
as its way easier for me to get to SD than SF.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-30 04:30 am   Permalink

Just trail Bamboo Ben every morning as he goes to work.
You will find it.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 07:33 am   Permalink

Will it be owned by the Coen Bros?
http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/

They operated Mr. Mai Tais Tiki Bar, on 5th in the Gas Lamp, which had a good run. They also operate about a dozen other SD establishments.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 08:48 am   Permalink

I don't think it would be owned by the Cohn Group, unless they partnered up with the owners of Smuggler's Cove. My wife works for the Cohn Group and hadn't heard anything. The Cohns are extremely business savvy. If a restaurant is going under and doesn't look like it will make it, they know when to call it quits. David Cohn loved the concept of Mister TIki and poured a ton of his own personal money into keeping it open as long as he could, but alas it couldn't last forever. He still has a storage facility where he has most of the decorations, including extremely large Bosko carvings. That would be interesting if they did partner up.

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 08:55 am   Permalink

Hmmmmmm......

The only mystery bar I currently know of is one that's planned for 30th & Adams by the people behind Craft & Commerce, El Dorado, Neighborhood, etc.

Also, the Riviera Supper Club recently changed hands and that could be converted into a cool tiki place. I'll sniff around.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-31 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-30 08:55, arriano wrote:
Hmmmmmm......

The only mystery bar I currently know of is one that's planned for 30th & Adams by the people behind Craft & Commerce, El Dorado, Neighborhood, etc.

Also, the Riviera Supper Club recently changed hands and that could be converted into a cool tiki place. I'll sniff around.

I totally agree. The Riviera Supper Club would make a killer tiki establishment.

SK

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-01 09:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-30 08:48, Kiwi Steve wrote:
I don't think it would be owned by the Cohn Group, unless they partnered up with the owners of Smuggler's Cove. My wife works for the Cohn Group and hadn't heard anything. The Cohns are extremely business savvy.
. . . .
David Cohn loved the concept of Mister TIki and poured a ton of his own personal money into keeping it open as long as he could, but alas it couldn't last forever.

The capital of the Cohn group combined with a love of Tiki and the magic of Smuggler's Cove?
Also, the Cohn group must know that Tiki restaurants can flourish and few last forever.
So, maybe, they will try again, based on a 5-year plan.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-01 11:46 am   Permalink

My friends band plays at the Riviera, so I asked him about it. He said he has not heard anything except that it did change ownership recently. He will try to ask around over there and see if he can get some answers. I will post more as soon as I hear anything.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 4:20 pm   Permalink

I'm excited about the 30th and Adams one, my new house is only about a mile from there.
I heard that someone from San Francisco was coming down to SD to open a bar, but I think it was someone that had a distilling background, and not SC.

There's a lot of great cocktail places popping up, and I think a Tiki bar would do really well right now.

I wish I could win the lottery and build one.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 07:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-04 16:20, mieko wrote:

I heard that someone from San Francisco was coming down to SD to open a bar, but I think it was someone that had a distilling background, and not SC.

A Tiki beer bar?
The craft beer scene is thriving in SD.
http://sandiegobeerinsider.com/wet-n-reckless-brewery

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 07:49 am   Permalink

That actually might be a good niche, warm days and cold beer, yet Tiki and beachy.
Not necessarily poly-pop, but very San Diego appropriate.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2012-09-05 07:52 ]

Derek Mitchell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-11 10:12 pm   Permalink

Anyone find out any new info this week?

View Profile of Derek Mitchell Send a personal message to Derek Mitchell  Email Derek Mitchell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-12 5:08 pm   Permalink

No. Kiwi Steve seems to think that it is not just a rumor...

Maybe he knows more about it?

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2012-09-12 17:09 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation