FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Has anyone heard about a new tiki bar opening in San Diego in the near-ish future?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Has anyone heard about a new tiki bar opening in San Diego in the near-ish future?
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-14 10:40 am   Permalink

I answered my own question. On October 29th the ABC will post on their website the San Diego County establishments that were awarded liquor licenses.

www.abc.ca.gov/Permits/permits.html

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-17 11:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-14 08:50, tikilongbeach wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-09-13 23:00, Kiwi Steve wrote:
I think there's a bar in Pacific Beach called the Tiki Bar, it may be called the Tiki House now. Unfortunately, there's nothing tiki about it, except for the name. It's a bar that only serves beer and has live music.

Mister Tiki had a bad location for it's theme. I can't picture a tiki bar surviving downtown.

North Park sounds good, since it's close to me! Haha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't there a website where you can check on what liquor license applications have been issued in San Diego? It takes a while to get them approved doesn't it?
Don't forget about Pirates Cove Tiki Port in Point Loma. A place with tiki in the same that only serves coffee and smoothies. Sacrilegious! Although they do have good coffee.

This is actually in OB on Voltaire and Cable. It is cool to have something decorated tiki, but you are right. I don't really ever drink coffee, so I have really never been there.

IDK if PB would be good for a tiki bar. I think everyone there drinks Coors Light and Jagerbombs. I don't think that they would embrace the tiki idea. They thrive off of top 40 DJs and loud music which isn't very tiki. OB might be ok, but there are a bunch of bars in OB already. Also in OB I am not sure if people would accept the higher prices of the tiki drinks. North Park or City Heights are more "hip" so I think they would get behind the idea of tiki there.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-18 12:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2012-09-17 11:23, lunavideogames wrote:

IDK if PB would be good for a tiki bar. I think everyone there drinks Coors Light and Jagerbombs. I don't think that they would embrace the tiki idea. They thrive off of top 40 DJs and loud music which isn't very tiki. OB might be ok, but there are a bunch of bars in OB already.

Point well taken.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2012-09-18 12:45 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-11 12:48 pm   Permalink

I stopped at Don the Beachcomber for lunch on Saturday on my way back from LA. I was chatting with one of the bartenders about all of my favorite drinks at Don's. He asked me where I was from and I said San Diego. He then said that they were currently looking at properties in San Diego to bring Don's down here. I, of course, said that would be AMAZING and that I would be there all the time.

I feel like San Diego TC members should show their support of Don's opening down here. IDK if we should start a new thread that they might read or hear about? But I feel like when you are up there, PLEASE mention how great it would be to have a Don the Beachcomber here in San Diego!

I would be there every week and I would make sure to bring lots of people with me!!! We need more tiki bars in SD!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 1:04 pm   Permalink

Wow. That would be great. They should be in Mission Valley so it would be close to Tiki Oasis (and me).

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 1:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-14 10:40, tikilongbeach wrote:
I answered my own question. On October 29th the ABC will post on their website the San Diego County establishments that were awarded liquor licenses.

http://www.abc.ca.gov/Permits/permits.html

Looks like the ABC sold 25 licenses in San Diego, including the gaslamp & PB.
http://www.abc.ca.gov/Permits/Priority_Summary_01Nov12.pdf

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-11 8:52 pm   Permalink

Though this is obviously North County, I always thought this would be perfect for a Don's.... especially if they bought the hotel too. It's a short walk to the ocean and the train station is within walking distance (great for LA and OC visitors).

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31792&forum=2&hilite=oceanside

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 9:23 pm   Permalink

Something coming soon! That's all I can say.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-11 9:57 pm   Permalink

Better have some cool mugs...

Oh yea and good drinks and good atmosphere and close to my house and affordable and open early and open late...

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-12 11:04 am   Permalink

Cool! Ben is on it!

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-12 3:08 pm   Permalink

There's been talk of turning the Information Center at Mission Bay into a restaurant. Man, how great would that be as a Don the Beachcomber? It's even round like the '70s/'80s DtBs.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-12 3:12 pm   Permalink

That would be great. I could sail over and get a Mai Tai. That would be the life...

Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 7:53 pm   Permalink

My wife is a bartender here in San Diego and knows a lot of people in the business... I told her about this thread and she called a couple of people and they said that there is a tiki bar coming to North Park soon, but they need to look into it to make sure they know what they are talking about. I'll let you know more as soon as I know more... I hope it's in North Park as that's really close to me!!!!!!!!!! The Information Center on Mission Bay would be a great location also, but not close enough for me. Haha!

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-14 3:47 pm   Permalink

Not sure if this is going to be tiki, but a restaurant/cafe called American Voodoo is opening up at 4655 Park Blvd in the near future...

finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-16 6:40 pm   Permalink

If Ben's in the know about it, that's at least a good sign that somebody's trying to do it the right way. Crossing my fingers in hopes that SD is truly getting a new tiki bar at some point.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation