FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Rancher breaks out the Chisels!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Rancher breaks out the Chisels!
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-30 7:44 pm   Permalink

After completing the Bora Bora Bamboo Barn, my tiki enthusiasm has only grown... if you haven't checked out the barn yet go to the home tiki bar page / bora bora bamboo barn topic. or check out my blog for more carving pics and bamboo madness. www.tikirancher.blogspot.com

This is the first Tiki I've ever carved its about 18" tall x 6" round. I designed it as I carved...not very authentic but fun. I used a pine post (not the best material but great practice) bought some mid grade carpenters chisels and started pounding some pine. I took me about 4 hours to complete in a couple of sessions. I then decided to polychrome it since the pine wood grain wasn't the prettiest. Enjoy the tikiness!

View Profile of tikirancher Send a personal message to tikirancher  Email tikirancher Goto the website of tikirancher     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-31 04:55 am   Permalink

Awesome first carve Rancher!

Looking forward to more from you.

Aren't those posts "treated" wood? I see them around here and they are coated with something that has a greenish hue to it. Thus I have stayed away from it.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-31 05:41 am   Permalink

Thanks McTiki,
no they weren't pressure treated. They were some specialty lumber used for a restaurant I worked on recently. Twin Peaks in Atlanta GA. They seem to be very stable as far as holding together. I'm going to use bass wood on the next and then I have a small dogwood tree I pulled out of my yard while constructing the barn. We'll see how that carves too.
www.tikirancher.blogspot.com
Cheers

View Profile of tikirancher Send a personal message to tikirancher  Email tikirancher Goto the website of tikirancher     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-31 08:45 am   Permalink

That's really impressive for a first carving!

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-01 08:37 am   Permalink

nice firstie bro...

just be careful with any "treated" wood...they use poisonous chemicals & breathing the sawdust can be bad, even fatal....

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-01 08:41 am   Permalink

Lookin good...you've obviously caught the bug...now keep on it!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-01 4:42 pm   Permalink

Great job - love the backyard!!!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Jack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 11:18 am   Permalink

Good work! A golden tiki .... interesting!

View Profile of Captain Jack Send a personal message to Captain Jack  Email Captain Jack Goto the website of Captain Jack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 1:03 pm   Permalink

1st carve
Wow
I think I tossed my 1st 10 or so in a fire pit

Good job

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 12:53 pm   Permalink

Golden tiki - well it was a pine log and the grain looked like shit..so I started busting out the rattle cans and had some hammer tone bronze that seemed to fit the bill.
I've got a couple other small ones almost done now...will post in the next couple of days...

tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-05 11:17 am   Permalink

Finally had the time to carve #2 and #3! These were carved out of bass wood and stained to get the look I was looking for. The round bald headed one I made for my son Austin's 5th birthday. The second square one is going to be for sale on my etsy bamboobarn store once I mount it on the frame work I created. Kind of a wall hanging piece. Enjoy

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-05 11:37 am   Permalink

Very nice work tikirancher.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tysonlee
Deleted

Posted: 2012-10-06 03:35 am   Permalink

Experiment on a scrap piece of wood first. Do you want it burnt for the smell? or for the texture? Paint and stain can be use in combination with the flame. If done right you should not be able to tell the difference. I suggest stain/painting first and then burn and brush.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-06 08:28 am   Permalink

nice work.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-10-06 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-06 03:35, tysonlee wrote:

Experiment on a scrap piece of wood first. Do you want it burnt for the smell? or for the texture? Paint and stain can be use in combination with the flame. If done right you should not be able to tell the difference. I suggest stain/painting first and then burn and brush.

Tysonlee, your post looks JUST LIKE a post from AlohaStation. How very odd...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43968&forum=7&vpost=654268

Clearly you're not here for the right reasons.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation