FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Tiki the Hut - San Diego, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki the Hut - San Diego, CA
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-08 7:08 pm   Permalink

So my friend was in town so we threw together a party for her even though the bar isn't 100% done yet. Here are some day pics...

My mugs. I want to tiki this display case up a bit, but it doesn't look too bad when it is dark.
Kiwi Steve - that is the blue Tiki Ti mug up there. Sorry, I can't part with it, but since you live in SD, you should come by for a visit and a Mai Tai!

This is a case for my friends mugs. Our bar is not finished yet but we already have a few friends mugs on display.

This was a painting from my friend Mark. He is a tatoo artist in Minneapolis. It is a really cool painting and the more you look at it the more things you see in it.
You can check out more of his art here...
dangtattoo.com
aladang.com

These are tikis I took pictures of in Hawaii.

Some Doug Horne art.

We are still working on this side of the room. I want to put the water heater and the sink all the way down towards the washer and dryer. Unfortunately we still need to have a couple things in our garage that aren't tiki. I tried to cover up temporarily some of the pipes with our cheapy tiki stuff.

Volcano Bowl. The light on the wall is my little idea. I bought 2 color changing lights and they slowly change color. I put them behind the fish net so that it shines through. I thought it looked really cool! Also our tiki masks on the wall have different colors that shine through their mouths and eyes. I will upgrade someday to cooler ones, but the cheap ones look pretty cool for now.

This one was a little blurry, but you can see the lighting a bit better.

It is coming along!

Thanks for everyone's advice and help! Thank you for the comments too!

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2012-10-12 21:43 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-12 9:46 pm   Permalink

So I finally came up with a good name - Tiki the Hut!

I searched a bunch and it doesn't seem like anyone has ever used it before, so I guess it is mine unless someone else knows differently.

I don't know if I'll spell it - Tiki the Hut - Tikki the Hutt - Tiki the Hutt, but one will work. I guess I like the first one the best. I'll post some more pictures soon!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-13 06:20 am   Permalink

Love the name. Looking good and having a blast I see! That looks like a gas water heater, resist the urge to cover it with bamboo/reed fence or you may have a campfire ambiance Maybe a bamboo and paper screen set a safe distance in front of it?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 8:28 pm   Permalink

the fake grass is GENIUS! cool name too.

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-14 05:17 am   Permalink

yeah, the grass IS real good lookin' - may have to borrow that idea for my next one

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-14 5:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks Skootiki and Holler Waller. Glad you like it and feel free to use any of my ideas. Thank you for the nice comments!

Mdm - yeah it is a gas water heater. The garage still needs some garage stuff in it. I thought that tiki covered it up:)
I will be careful with it. I don't have anything touching it and hopefully we can move it out of the way sooner than later. Thanks for the advice and comments!

Still working on the bar but its getting closer to finished. More pictures in the next couple days!

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-03 6:33 pm   Permalink

Sorry I haven't posted progress pics for awhile, I have been busy but still working on my tiki bar.

I figured out a way to put my tikis on the sides of my bar. I just used the longest screws I could find...

And drilled holes all the way through the bar and the tikis.
Then I tightened them down and put rope around the base...

I made a rooftop out of bamboo.

I dried out some of my old fan palm leaves and draped them over the roof. I like to use everything I can that I own or have leftover.

This is a night shot. I still have to refinish the bar top but it is a big project and I have not had time to take it on yet.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-03 6:48 pm   Permalink

This is what my ceiling looks like. It already had a tiki hut feel to it so I am only going to decorate around it. I moved my surfboards down to open it up a bit. Thanks to Tikivato, I now have 4 pufferfish with lights! Bought 3 from him and one in Hilo. I also have 2 smaller ones without lights.

Some nice art and you can kinda see one of my tiki masks lit up.

Decided to put some cheaper tiki mugs up on the top frame and hold them in with rope. I have a bunch still to put up but I'll need more to complete the distance.

Finally got some wall vases from Munktiki and threw some REAL plants in them. I hope I can keep them alive:)

So thanks MDM for the suggestion and to Dan & Wendy for letting me borrow their idea for these fake vines. I put them along side the washer & dryer to hide it, and my wife went crazy and bought a bunch more to line the faucet and the top of the bamboo along our walls. It looks really good I think and I am sure we will add more. The carving in the top right might not be totally tiki, but my Grandfather got it in the 50's in Haiti while he was in the navy. So even though he looks a bit rasta, he is tiki to me. My Grandpa was actually out this weekend and he was such a good sport he even came to the International Tiki Marketplace with me.

PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-03 6:57 pm   Permalink

Amazing! The creativity behind this blows my mind! Your bar area looks SUPER sick, too!

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-03 7:00 pm   Permalink

Reused this part of the original bar. It needs to be touched up still, but I like where it is. These tikis all came from different Hawaiian islands and the 2 inside are some cheaper ones.

I wanted to have a crate or a barrel for a table for these 4 chairs. I looked around but couldn't find one. So I decided to make one.

I started out by framing the box. I used screws to bolt it all together.

Then I cut smaller pieces of wood for the trim and pounded them in with finishing nails. They pretty much covered all the screws.

Then I took a torch to it!!! I weathered it a bit and stained it. I should have torched it a bit more, but I still want to weather it further, so I am open to ideas. I want it to look really weathered and put some barnicles on it too. I guess some black spraypaint splotches? I could run down to the pier and scrape off some barnicles and glue them on??? I have no clue if that would work at all.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2012-12-03 19:37 ]

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-03 7:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks Pockeytiki - That is very nice of you to say.

Almost forgot. I reused the stems of the fan palm fronds to frame this Tiki Ti menu. I think those stems look VERY TIKI. I hope you agree. I still have a bunch left over too. I might make some more if anyone wants to trade for one:)

This is what it is looking like now. Kinda blurry, but I'll take pictures with my camera instead of my phone when it is complete.

Looking cozy. I'll try to get some night pictures with all of the lighting up soon. The ship picture my wife got at an art fair outside of Bali Hai while I was having too many drinks. I don't know if it will last there or not but it is fine for now. Grabbed another REAL PALM for the back corner. I could use suggestions on where to get a really cool tiki looking vase for it.

I will try to keep the pictures coming. I wanted to be "finished" by now but it always takes longer than you think it will. Hopefully some folks in San Diego or wherever will attend my grand opening in the early spring. Everyone is invited, but I haven't met a lot of you:) I am kinda shy at meeting new people, So you may have seen me at tiki events and not talked to me yet. But I am a great host and I would love to have you guys over to tell me what you think! I have to finish my bar and I want to get a small bar table with 4 stools. I also want a little cool fountain. I might have to talk to Ben on that one...

But it is coming along. It is a fun and relaxing place for me and my family and friends to sit and chill. We have been using it regularly for months now. We get 1000 times more use out of it than our boring garage!

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2012-12-03 19:22 ]

lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-03 7:24 pm   Permalink

And I want to do something with that garage door. I might put up bamboo or reed fencing. Or a mural of some sort. It is nice to be able to open it up and be exposed to the outside and to be able to close it for warmth and to cut down on noise. But it doesn't fit in with my bar...

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-03 7:39 pm   Permalink

You've been busy! It all looks great but the fan palm stem frame is brilliant! Besides looking bitchin', it'll teach the kids to keep their grubby little hands off of things

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-03 8:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks MDM! I agree. You better watch out when you try to climb behind my bar!

The next ones I make I might try to use a backframe and use finishing nails and not overlap them. I will post them when I get to that point.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-04 05:45 am   Permalink

Two things:

1. I'm making a rum branding iron that would work great for that crate.
2. Tell me you named it after Pizza the Hut. It was the first thing I thought, and I got quite a laugh.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation