FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Tiki the Hut - San Diego, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki the Hut - San Diego, CA
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-03 7:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the comments Vampiress and Hang10!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 09:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-03 17:34, lunavideogames wrote:
I will look around for some sandpaper over 400. Would a buffer or something work as well?

I've never tried using a buffer, but I'd be concerned about it generating too much heat, as that might soften the epoxy. 650-grit sandpaper should be available at an auto parts store, just make sure you sand it wet, and parallel with the scratch.

...and I forgot to mention that you did a great job. Very nice effect with the swizzles, starfish, etc. I used paper ephemera that I collected, like menus, postcards, etc. It worked really well with thick card stock, but there was some minor staining and discoloration with the thinner items.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 10:29 am   Permalink

A crystal clear resin top is likely to scratch no matter what.

What I did is buffed the entire top surface with 0000 steel wool and then using buffing compound (a type of car polish).

Then the whole top will have a matte finish and becomes much more scratch irrelevant.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 11:31 am   Permalink

Nice job with the bartop!! I've built many a bar,and three months is a bit long for the top to dry.48 hours is usually the max and that's with using hairdryers to work out the bubbles as it sets. As others have stated, dish soap and a soft cloth is the best for keeping it clean, and turtle wax works great if any scratches develop. I love the wet sand look you achieved, never tried that one before.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-04 3:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the super prompt and very helpful responses. You guys rock!

I used a blowtorch to get the bubbles out. I still have a few bubbles and one fruit fly in mine. But the bubbles don't look bad since I was going for an underwater look. But I feel like the torch did a great job of getting them out. I had draped a bed sheet over it to keep debris from falling into it.

Also, I was originally going to put some match books in as well! But the paper seemed like it was getting ruined and they looked strange since I chopped off the match heads. Don't want any bombs in my bartop. So I stuck with more solid objects.

I will go and get the best wax or buffing compound and apply that.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-08 5:44 pm   Permalink

Ok, I am on to the next part of the bar. Does anyone know the best glue that will stick to this epoxy? I am trying to glue rope onto it. I will put some finishing nails in too, just for good measure. Thanks!

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-08 6:35 pm   Permalink

I started to get some more weapons to put up. I had the Harpoon and I wanted some other unique items. I got these paddles at the Hilo farmers market. I had to make a special trip to get them, not all the way to Hawaii just for these, but I had to get a friend to drive me down early Saturday morning before the bike race. I think that they look really cool. I like to secure any weapons so that people cannot "play with them." They can get dangerous when drinking.

Found these swordfish bill swords. Kinda touristy with their carvings, but they seem very unique and are said to be from Tonga. I thought that they would make a good decoration.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-08 6:49 pm   Permalink

Started to do some router carving. I read up on all of the threads that I could, and hopefully I am doing it decently. I thought that I had step by step pictures, but I guess not. So I'll show you progression pictures as I do the other two boards.

I just got 2 boards 5 1/2 wide by 96 long. I don't know what kind of wood, just cheap stuff from home depot. I decided I wanted them to look square, so I did my design 5.5x5.5. So first I measured out every 5.5 inches and marked it with a pen. Then I went back with a ruler/level and marked my designs in sharpie. I am not very artistic, so I decided on this pretty common pattern. I drew out 4 different ones, but this one was the best look for what I was going for.

Then I routered them and burnt them really well. Then I steel brushed them and burnt them again and brushed them again. Then I stained them with the darkest stain that I could find.

Then I hung them up as the trim on my upper wall. Emily said it looked unfinished, so I took her advice and made it look a little more tiki.

I should attend a carving day when there is one, to learn more tricks! What do you think?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-08 7:24 pm   Permalink

Nice to meet you guys at Don's on Saturday!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-08 7:25 pm   Permalink

You too! I am sure that we will see you soon.

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-29 3:22 pm   Permalink

Made some frames for my Doug Horne art! Just burnt the bamboo and cut it to size, cut the matting amd glued it together.

I think it is a nice touch.

Got this cool cannibal from LakeSurfer at the International Tiki Marketplace. It is really cool!

Started to finish my bar top. Attached rope to the front and sides. Got the large rope at Oceanic Arts. Nailed it in and then I used Gorilla Glue to secure it. It seems to be pretty well attached.

I have been doing so many things that I am having trouble keeping up with taking pictures of everything new. Almost ready but never finished!

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2013-04-29 17:49 ]

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-29 3:48 pm   Permalink

I made a menu up too. Just have to print it and laminate it.

I am going to print it on tan paper so that it is not all white.
(sorry for the swear but censoring a quote doesn't work...)

I think it is cool for a first menu attempt. I will want to get more artsy with it later, but for now it will do fine. Wasn't able to fit all of my drinks yet, but those are also works in progress. It seems like I have a good variety of choices on the menu.

We are not really charging, but if we were, this is what you would pay...

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2013-04-30 11:19 ]

Kiwi Steve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-29 6:37 pm   Permalink

"My mugs. I want to tiki this display case up a bit, but it doesn't look too bad when it is dark.
Kiwi Steve - that is the blue Tiki Ti mug up there. Sorry, I can't part with it, but since you live in SD, you should come by for a visit and a Mai Tai!"

Ha! I just saw this after many, many months... I'm going to PM you...

View Profile of Kiwi Steve Send a personal message to Kiwi Steve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-29 7:43 pm   Permalink

I'll take a Gilligan

Lookin good

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 8:28 pm   Permalink

I would like to order, at the same time, a Professor and Maryanne. Or if I may be so bold, Professor and the rest.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation