[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki RIP - Wayne Coombs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
RIP - Wayne Coombs
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 12:45 pm   Permalink

We have information coming in from various sources that Wayne Coombs has passed. I'll post more information as I get it. A real loss to the community.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TornadoTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-04 12:47 pm   Permalink

I am very sad to report that Wayne Coombs has died. The founder of Mai Tiki, he was a huge personality and a tremendous influence on tiki art in Florida and beyond. I interviewed him several times. His importance to art on the Space Coast and the identity of Cocoa Beach can't be underestimated. All that said, personally, he was a hoot - a force of nature who loved tiki, who loved art, who loved the beach. He always had an eye for a sale, and his customers loved buying his work, because his heart was in it. I'll miss him.

View Profile of TornadoTiki Send a personal message to TornadoTiki  Goto the website of TornadoTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-04 12:50 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's tragic, the gravity of this loss is not easy to comprehend... Condolences to his family, many friends, and co-workers. I have a Mai Tiki carving prominently displayed in my kitchen and will fondly remember the hours I spent with Wayne choosing "the right carving" and also discussing his initial foray into other printed art.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-04 1:08 pm   Permalink

Very sad indeed, my condolences to the family.

Found this quickly searching.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20120904/ENTERTAINMENT06/120904020/Wayne-Coombs-talented-charismatic-tiki-artist-dies

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 1:10 pm   Permalink

RIP Mai Tiki!

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TornadoTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-04 1:43 pm   Permalink

If you want to see one of the video interviews I did with Wayne when I worked at Florida Today, go to this page and scroll down - it's fourth from the bottom. It shows him making a tiki puppet.
http://www.chriskridler.com/galleries/video/

[ This Message was edited by: TornadoTiki 2012-09-04 13:50 ]

View Profile of TornadoTiki Send a personal message to TornadoTiki  Goto the website of TornadoTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 1:58 pm   Permalink

Such a good friend and frequent contributor to The Hukilau. I'll treasure the times I had with him at his awesome compound. This years Hukilau will be dedicated to his memory.....

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 2:30 pm   Permalink

horrible- I just emailed him a couple weeks ago because my wife and i were planning on visiting him soon. Never was there an indication that anything was wrong and he was looking forward to our visit since i had not seen him in a few years.... I can't believe he's gone. He was a great inspiration. The first carved tiki i ever bought was from wayne..... he will be missed.

I need a maitai..... right now.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 4:34 pm   Permalink

Noooooo!
This is shocking!
He was SUCH a nice guy - and loving artist, meaning he loved his art. He loved creating.

This is a real loss.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-04 4:42 pm   Permalink

He was a great guy.
RIP.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-04 5:30 pm   Permalink

So very sad... Wayne was the godfather of Space Coast Tiki. His works provided the thematic element in so many area establishments, extending up the coast to include even such mid-century icons as the Makai Beach Lodge in Ormond Beach. RIP, Wayne.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-04 5:38 pm   Permalink

Wow, very sad news. He treated me and my Family very nicely when we paid him a visit while staying at the Wakulla Suites in Cocoa Beach. Planty of his work will live on all over the state fo Florida and beyond

View Profile of Matiki Send a personal message to Matiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivox

Posted: 2012-09-04 6:35 pm   Permalink

It was just a few months ago when I last spoke with Wayne. He was a great artist as well as a person. My condolences go out to Becky and the rest of his family. He will be missed.

[ This Message was edited by: tikivox 2012-09-04 18:38 ]

View Profile of tikivox Send a personal message to tikivox  Email tikivox Goto the website of tikivox     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 7:12 pm   Permalink

Sucky...

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 9:22 pm   Permalink

Whoa, terrible!
Along with countless other beginning tiki carvers, HIS style was the look that I used as "reference" when I was starting out.
R.I.P Wayne.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation