FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki BARNEY WEST in DISTRESS! or How to bring an old salt back to life!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
BARNEY WEST in DISTRESS! or How to bring an old salt back to life!
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 5:13 pm   Permalink

That is priceless...thanks for the updates. CONGRATULATIONS...one important beautiful artifact saved.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 7:33 pm   Permalink

WOW! That is amazing. Such a great thing to see.

Can't wait to see him set up in his corner shrine.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-12 7:52 pm   Permalink

Excellent!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 12:35 am   Permalink

MOST excellent, indeed! I just could not imagine in what way this Moai would be "polychromed" in a tasteful and fitting manner - among all Tikis, a Moai strikes me as needing to be MONOchrome - but Leroy did it! He again has proven himself as the only living veteran of mid-century Tiki who still has the "secret knowledge" of how to do it like they used to. Palmer looks ancient, with a patina that could be from the 50s or the 1500s.

The old O.A. way of polychroming was the fine art of applying color to the carved artifacts in such a manner that they looked aged. The colors chosen were earthy and washed-out looking, with dirt rubbed into it, not bright and primary. Leroy has used color more liberally in his own art, in a folk art manner, like Mexican or other island tourist art, but for Polynesian pop in the mid-century style, the only way to go is the muted, aged look of primitive art.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 1:57 pm   Permalink

Awesome finished result! The info plaque is a very important touch. You are now in posession of something that has been lovingly created and re-created by 2 of the legends. Not too many others can say that! CONGRATS and show more pics when he's home. 8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-02 12:52 pm   Permalink

What a great story, congratulations on an amazing recovery. Here is the postcard that shows the Barney West in its original form at the Palmer House.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gran Poobah

Posted: 2012-11-02 6:55 pm   Permalink

Wow, new to this forum and I was at OA 6 weeks or so ago and remember seeing this in the workshop and wondering what it was. I am so stoked to see what Leroy was able to do with it. When I saw it.....it was ROUGH. I mean rough. Absolutely amazing. Cool factor is off the scale.

[ This Message was edited by: Gran Poobah 2012-11-02 18:55 ]

View Profile of Gran Poobah Send a personal message to Gran Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-02 8:56 pm   Permalink

Pretty sure the famous postcard tiki is a different one from the one that was resurrected. Look at the facial details.

That one may be lost to the ages, but glad this one will be standing strong for years to come! Congrats.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-04 11:34 am   Permalink

yeah. i immediately went to that old postcard when he came in hoping he'd be somewhere in the background. apparently, there were a few Barney pieces at the Chicago location including masks and whatnot.

now, i have to find one with the top-knot!

i've been super busy and not able to get to his display. it took three people to get him upright!

here's a spooky teaser in the meantime...

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 06:01 am   Permalink

dear Santa claus can I have for Christmas an update on palmer?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Const Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-13 11:08 pm   Permalink

Any new pictures of Palmer?

View Profile of Const Tiki Send a personal message to Const Tiki  Email Const Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation