FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Some good stuff from the Polynesian in Torrance
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Some good stuff from the Polynesian in Torrance
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-06-23 11:36 pm   Permalink

I had a really successful weekend at a collectibles fair, so I wanted to share some goodies...sorry for those in Lo Cal for whom this stuff is old hat.

Here's the cover & inside of one of their matchbooks:

Somewhat more interesting is this scan from the back of an album by the Polynesians:

The cover shot has a huge waterfall- looks like the place had a great interior. Any other interior shots out there?

[ This Message was edited by: martiki6 on 2003-06-23 23:37 ]

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 12:45 am   Permalink

Excellent score.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 03:13 am   Permalink

Nice finds! Sabu may have some pics of the interior, and I have a few pics that show a large volcano in the inner courtyard. Of course, your matchbook finds just further my frustration: 'The Polynesian' later became the 'Latitude 20', and through all our combined years of searching, neither I nor Sabu have come up with anything but paper (menus, postcards, matchbooks) for The Polynesian, and nothing but mugs/glassware for the Latitude 20! I've never seen a single mug, glass or plate for the Polynesian, and, although I have 8 different mugs for the '20, I've never seen a single paper item! Go figure...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 10:30 am   Permalink

Martiki,

Thanks for posting those items from the Polynesian - I've never seen either of those. I need to find that album - It was by the Polynesians, you say? I have a postcard that shows the building from much the same angle as in your b/w photo.

Here's the courtyard shot that Doctor Z was talking about - with the Volcano/Waterfall.

I've also got the drink menu, the postcard of the exterior, and a different matchbook than yours.

The Polynesian was run by Pete Reitz, who I'm told still lives in Palos Verdes, (and whom I'd love to interview). It was a favorite hangout of Bob and LeRoy of Oceanic Arts back when they were young. When it changed ownership, it became Hop Louie's "Latitude 20". Now it's a strip mall. All that's left of the original restaurants are the stumps of the palm trees out front.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 11:29 am   Permalink

Sabu -
seriously - you should do something with all this great info - maybe a book with sections on defunct tiki establishments (each one would show examples like postcards, mugs, menus, etc for each place) - ever thought about that?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-24 11:39 am   Permalink

Sabu -
seriously - you should do something with all this great info - maybe a book with sections on defunct tiki establishments (each one would show examples like postcards, mugs, menus, etc for each place) - ever thought about that?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 3:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The Polynesian was run by Pete Reitz

Sadly, he passed away a few years back. (I used to work with his sons wife). As far as I know, they still live up in PV.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 11:47 am   Permalink

I always thought that this was one of the cool spots in Southern California. It seems to be one of the few Tiki restaurants that found a second life (as Latitude 20)after the first place closed.

I picked up the postcard that shows the same shot as the back of the album cover.

Here is a close up of the sign

The back of the card.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-15 4:27 pm   Permalink

Some new developments on The Polynesian.

Here is a menu that I have and have seen around before.

And a matchbook, also seen before.

The new find is the grog list companion to the menu, saw this on ebay.

And finally, I got this Matchbook from Latitude 20 which occupied The Polynesian.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 10:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-24 03:13, Doctor Z wrote:
through all our combined years of searching, neither I nor Sabu have come up with anything but paper (menus, postcards, matchbooks) for The Polynesian, and nothing but mugs/glassware for the Latitude 20! I've never seen a single mug, glass or plate for the Polynesian, and, although I have 8 different mugs for the '20, I've never seen a single paper item! Go figure...

This is what is cool about the matchbook from Latitude 20 - here it is again right side up this time.

Here are some of the mugs from Latitude 20 from Tikicleen's and Tiki-Kate's collection on Ooga Mooga.

So, does anybody out there have any more paper items from Latitude 20??? Postcard? Menu? Ad?

Or a mysterious Mug from The Polynesian?

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-18 4:41 pm   Permalink

Picked up a different matchbook from Latitude 20.

Is it my imagination or did the designer mess up on the latitude markings on this matchbook?

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 4:56 pm   Permalink

Here is a napkin from the Polynesian with a cool map. Still no sightings of a mug.

DC

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 7:55 pm   Permalink

Matchbook

And Martin, if you're not too busy with that whole opening a new bar thing, could you please fix the photo links on the first post?

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 2:20 pm   Permalink

I was lucky to score the smaller drink menu from the Polynesian, here is the cover.

and the obligatory education on Rum on the inside cover.

Back cover is the appetizer menu.

The drink menu in the standard mild, medium and strong format

You can see that they did not use any signature Tiki mugs which is why there are none around.

The best is the communal drinks page.

Check out these kava style bowls.

Now that would be a find!

DC

Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 4:40 pm   Permalink

What would REALLY be a find is a $2.00 Drink in a bowl!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation