FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving KeverC's Stuff
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
KeverC's Stuff
KeverC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-19 7:03 pm   Permalink

i figured that i would make a post where i can add pics of what i am working on. i have a few tikis in different stages of being worked on. so here is some stuff i have done or am working on. i will post more as i finish them or start new ones.

thanks for the input and thanks for checking out my post

[ This Message was edited by: KeverC 2012-09-21 15:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KeverC 2012-10-01 16:18 ]

View Profile of KeverC Send a personal message to KeverC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeverC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-20 4:10 pm   Permalink

not done yet but getting close. this is for a friend and his wife they asked if i can do another one just like it. they want a pair of them.

not done yet but getting close

View Profile of KeverC Send a personal message to KeverC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeverC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-21 3:34 pm   Permalink

done carving. now i just need to do some touch up and seal it.

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-21 3:53 pm   Permalink

Nice work!

Now make the log disappear on your next one! (Deeper)

Looking good!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-23 8:24 pm   Permalink

yes, what Andy said.

I used to torch the shit out of everything, but after spending some time with Benz & Will, and also getting some advice from Aloha Tom, I now realize that torching is essentially a cheap trick to create the appearance of depth and hide tool marks. it fools people who don't know the difference, but not people who know what they're looking at.

deep clean cuts eliminate the need for torching...

but hey bro, not knocking your work at all...you're on the path and doing great. just telling you what I was glad to have been told myself. Except for Benz, we're all students and have a lot to learn....myself included!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeverC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-23 11:02 pm   Permalink

right on. thanks for the tip. this is the first of a matching pair for a buddy of mine. he helped me out in the past so i offered to do the pair for him for free to put in his back yard. he refused and said that because he knows that doing them takes some time and all he offered to pay me. i will be putting that money toward some much needed tools. i will keep in mind that i need to cut deeper. i have seen the work you guys do and i thank you for the tips.

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 10:00 am   Permalink

do you have any chisels yet?

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeverC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-24 5:40 pm   Permalink

i have a couple straight chisels. i will be buying some new tools at the beginning of the month. i am getting a set chisels, some saburr burs, 4 inch and 2 inch lancelot cutting wheels, a straight neck grinder and looking at a new die grinder for my air compressor. the tools i am working with now are just tools i had for other jobs. i got some really nice pieces of wood today and i am stoked. the last tiki i did is the first of a matching set my buddy asked for to put in his yard i have to go the match to it. the tiki after that i will make sure to cut much deeper. i am happy that you guys have taken the time to point me in the right direction. that is part of why i joined TC so i could get feed back and tips on how get better at carving. so thanks guys. you dont need to worry about hurting my feelings when you see something i should do better or fix please tell me. i can take it. lol

[ This Message was edited by: KeverC 2012-09-24 17:41 ]

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 8:33 pm   Permalink

this is the first "real" set of chisels I purchased, and what I'd recommend (especially if you already have a decent straight chisel or 2)...

they're well made, reasonably priced, and a great place to start.

I like swiss pfeils, but they're expensive. These work GREAT on palm...

http://www.flexcut.com/products/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1056&category_id=111

KeverC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-24 9:18 pm   Permalink

right on bro i will look in to picking up those chisels. you said they work good on palm but i also have a lot of pine to carve on. how will they hold up to the pine?

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 9:44 pm   Permalink

they worked great on the douglas fir & cypress piece I just did, so yeah...

KeverC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-24 10:07 pm   Permalink

cool i will let you know how they work out for me. thanks. have you ever used the lancelot chainsaw cutting wheels? or the saburr tooth grinding wheels? i have been doing some looking at them and they look like a good way to remove a lot of wood in a fairly quick manner. i have some issues with my hands so the power tools make it a little easier for me when working on the rough shaping. by the way i have looked at your work and i really like your work. the Air Boss is awesome.

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 03:41 am   Permalink

Beware of the Lancelots. in order to get maximum exposureof the wheel, you have to remove the gaurd of the grinder (At least I do) They are squirrely and if it somehow touches you, you are screwed.

Not many here use the shaping wheels and burrs like myself. If your wrists can deal with the Mallet/chisels, give em a try. Learn how to keep a sharp edge on em!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 05:21 am   Permalink

yeah ditto what Andy said about lancelots. Regardless of efficiency, by all means LEAVE THE DAMNED GUARD ON....

They're just waiting to take a finger, or grab your shirt and run up it like an angry badger to eat your face off. Most dangerous tool in the box in my opinon (including the chainsaw) due to it's limited control factor. I had one brush up against my knuckles once....cut the shit out of 'em, and they weren't clean cuts...my hand was f'd up for 2 weeks. And yeah speaking of which, any angle grinder is dangerous if you're wearing a loose shirt...it'll grab 'em. Learned that one the hard way too...scared the hell out of me.

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 06:04 am   Permalink

Lancelot = Honey Badger

My PSA for today!

Mahalo

McTiki

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation