[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food 32 Light Rums in a Blind Taste Test
32 Light Rums in a Blind Taste Test
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-19 9:10 pm   Permalink

Aloha kakou,

My friend Paul and I just finished up a massive light rum blind taste test to find which tasted best in a daiquiri. Given that there's not a lot of attention paid to light rums (at least not on this scale) I thought some of you might find it interesting. I know the Bum recommends Flor de Cana in BBB Remixed, but there are a number of others that tasted much better to us. Have a look if you're inclined, and please share your comments here or there.

http://inuakena.wordpress.com/spirit-reviews/light-rum-challenge/

Mahalo!
Josh

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-20 08:03 am   Permalink

Great idea, and THANKS for sharing your taste test results! Tastes can vary widely from person-to-person, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how my impressions (and what's in my stock) compare with your impressions. I will have to wait until tonight because my work connection blocks some web sites. Can't wait, though.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-20 08:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-19 21:10, tofukulele wrote:

My friend Paul and I just finished up a massive light rum blind taste test to find which tasted best in a daiquiri.

Thank you for your service.

Interesting in that the more expensive rum almost always won. Round One: 10-6, Sweet Sixteen: 6-2, Elite Eight: 2-1-1. And in the final four, the most expensive rum was the winner. Maybe you really do get what you pay for.

I'm impressed that the $8 Calidao made it all the way to the final four. Never tried it, and I'll have to look for it.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2012-09-20 08:53 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-20 1:36 pm   Permalink

Why did you put most expensive vs cheapest? That right there is not a blind taste test. You knew one was better than the other. You should have compared them randomly.

I'm afraid you will have to do it again.

I have a bit of the Bum's favortie Leilani Hawaiian RUm that should get in the mix and see how it holds up today...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tofukulele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-20 1:46 pm   Permalink

Ha! I'm not sure I can handle another epic hangover right now, But I'll take it under advisement

The rums were actually tasted blindly and at random--the scores were entered into the bracket after all 32 tastings were completed. The decision to arrange the matchups by price was subjective and clearly an imperfect methodology, but given that an $8 rum ended up in the final four against a $40 rum, I don't think it was a total failure. Cheers!

View Profile of tofukulele Send a personal message to tofukulele  Goto the website of tofukulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation