FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Tikis in flames - Original photography set
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tikis in flames - Original photography set
Hemp Paper
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-24 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-24 19:17, The Granite Tiki wrote:
I think they're amazing. Especially the first one. The historical facts about the burning of Tikis makes it that much more moving a photograph.

Ku looks like he's screaming through the fire but not burning. I love it.

As for feedback, my only problem at all, and it really might just be me, is I don't like the saw cut in the stump, it distracts my eye a little.

Very cool images.

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2012-09-24 19:20 ]

Thank you for your feedback, would you mind if I quoted it for a comment on our website? When I first started doing the series I didn't know about the history behind this, and the forum has opened my eyes to it, which was great!

The cut in the stump is horrid, these images were taken when I was first starting my photography career, I'll add some better quality ones in the near future.

View Profile of Hemp Paper Send a personal message to Hemp Paper  Goto the website of Hemp Paper     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 7:43 pm   Permalink

Quote away!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hemp Paper
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-24 8:50 pm   Permalink

Here are some more pictures that I just found on my computer.

View Profile of Hemp Paper Send a personal message to Hemp Paper  Goto the website of Hemp Paper     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-24 9:18 pm   Permalink

Beautiful. Those are really special. Thank you, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 10:48 pm   Permalink

So Hemp, are you burning these to get a cool photo, or is it part of getting a certain finish on the tikis? You mentioned burning the oil off, for just a few seconds...

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 10:54 pm   Permalink

Wow! These are all fantastic! The first one in this new set looks like it could be album art for a vintage exotica LP, like Arthur Lyman's Legend of Pele... the last one is simply stunning... the blue of the background flames surrounding the bright yellow flames on the tiki makes it almost look like a negative (you know, from an actual physical roll of film)... very cool!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 12:50 am   Permalink

Nice photos....
Love the way the wind swirls and whirls the flames!
a Pele sculpture like this would be pretty awesome!
Fire is the blood of the volcano
and you captured it well..

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hemp Paper
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-25 02:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-25 00:50, little lost tiki wrote:
Nice photos....
Love the way the wind swirls and whirls the flames!
a Pele sculpture like this would be pretty awesome!
Fire is the blood of the volcano
and you captured it well..

We have a pele Tiki, I'll consider doing a shoot with it.

Jürka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-28 5:35 pm   Permalink

Pictures are beautiful and interesting... and carried out perfectly... but... There's a question about backstory... It is not good to see Ku burning... Who else will take care of wars when he is burned down? So... What you should do? Create a totally new style Tiki (with same facial expression!) and name him... Mutafuka for example... and tell us he is bad (and why? It would be interesting to read about)... and burn him and make photos in same way...

Oh... And as it is already mentioned... Pele idea would work well also... But... Who-the-f*ck knows how Pele looks like? It's not very nice to just burn women and say she's Pele, let her burn! It reminds me Dark-Middle-Ages where so-called witches found their end in flames...

[ This Message was edited by: Jürka 2012-09-28 17:39 ]

View Profile of Jürka Send a personal message to Jürka  Email Jürka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Elgarbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-29 05:28 am   Permalink

I love these shots - so dramatic! Is there a reason for the choice of square format? I feel like they'd carry more power either occupying the frame in portrait format or staring off into negative space in landscape format.

View Profile of Elgarbo Send a personal message to Elgarbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-30 2:30 pm   Permalink

These are pretty damned cool looking (so long as they are not getting destroyed). Might I suggest experimenting with different flame "textures" for instance having a tiki resting on hot coals, and finding what chemicals create different colors I think copper makes a green flame if I recall. It would be neat to see a Pele one, maybe a woman statue with minor flamage except where the hair would be (loading that area with more flammable material so it burns higher) or some kind of gooey looking liquid on fire that she is resting on top of to simulate lava. Lots of ways to explore this, I think its pretty awesome that you are making such a unique art form.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-04 03:51 am   Permalink

Denatured alcohol + Roach Killer (Boric Acid) = Green Flame

If you search the internet for flaming poi, or fire spinning, you'll find tons of formulas for colored flame.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation