FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kon Tiki Motel, El Centro, CA (motel)
Kon Tiki Motel, El Centro, CA (motel)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-28 8:25 pm   Permalink

Name:Kon Tiki Motel
Type:motel
Street:1226 Adams St (Hwy 80 & 99)
City:El Centro
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

Well, it's lonely out here these days on Locating Tiki, but I will continue. I have a few postcards from the Kon Tiki Motel that was located on motel row in El Centro - stomping grounds of Mad Dog Mike!

View of the hotel.

A very nice sign.

A few Tiki masks on the overhead.

Another card showing hotel row.

Found this close up of the sign at the end of its days online.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-28 9:15 pm   Permalink

DC, what do you NOT find!

In the 50s and 60s, Adams Ave used to be the hotel district. Most of the hotels are still there but considerably shady now, it's now the home to mostly "crack houses" (double entendre intended) About 2 blocks away is a Polynesian restaurant, still has the 80s turquoise and red painted tiki out front. Last time I ate there was probably 30 years ago and it was pretty seedy then, I doubt that it has improved any.

Let me see if I can take some current pics of the Kon Tiki to post.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-30 2:37 pm   Permalink

Looking on Google street view, I see the building is still there and it's now a Budget Inn. About the only thing remaing that's a reminder of its past is the rock wall on the front of the building.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-30 4:14 pm   Permalink

DC,

I appreciate your contributions, please don't stop posting these finds.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-30 8:12 pm   Permalink

Yes, the building is still there, but here is the only evidence that it was once the Kon Tiki Motel: a hand lettered sign in the alley

Looks like it's now the "American Inn", probably neither American nor an inn

This motel was part of the tiki fabric of my youth. I never had reason to go inside but remember riding by in the back of the car often. Down the road a bit was the old style Kentucky Fried Chicken (before it became KFC) with the red tin roof, the old style Taco Bell with the fire pit out front, Sambo's, the
Polynesian Villiage Mobile Home Estates, and this gem

The recently remodeled Tropicana Restaurant. Too bad they didn't strip off the 1980's paint job from this tiki when they remodeled the building

It was a dive when I last ate there 30 or 35 years ago. But it's been there at least 40 years, they must be doing something right?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-30 8:58 pm   Permalink

That sign behind the chain link fence and the Milan Guanko Tiki with the clown paint job are classic images of Tiki devolution. I forgot about that Mobile home park in your hood.... that probably had a cool sign once too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-30 9:40 pm   Permalink

Someone should liberate that sad tiki, sand blast all that crappy paint off it and hold in a safe house for it's own protection.

The old neon sign was nice. The devolution is tragic as usual.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 5:05 pm   Permalink

MadDog,

Thanks for the scouting report. Maybe that Tiki can be saved?

Found another photo of the sign on-line.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 7:48 pm   Permalink

Tourist photo of the Kon Tiki Motel in El Centro - S & H Stamps a bonus!

DC

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-13 6:09 pm   Permalink

Very nice classic photo. Green Stamps, I remember those. Thanks for posting.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rumonkey

Posted: 2013-08-11 4:18 pm   Permalink

Back around 1974/5 a friend took me to a Polynesian/ Mexican restaurant near El Centro CA. I cannot remember the name. I don't think that it is the drive inn in El Centro that I saw on Tiki Central. Anyone have any ideas?.

View Profile of Rumonkey Send a personal message to Rumonkey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-11 10:06 pm   Permalink

Rumonkey, it was probably El Tiki. I may have been working there the night you visited

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 07:54 am   Permalink

Here is another photo of the motel sign in its declining years. I just noticed that the sign changed over time, with the top and bottom colors and the font used for the Kon Tiki letters.

DC

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation