FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events The Hukilau 2013 Official Thread and Announcement
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
The Hukilau 2013 Official Thread and Announcement
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 11:40 am   Permalink

Thanks for the update, Tim. I missed the presentation, and have been wondering. That was really great that you did that, and a damn shame that someone thought to vandalize it. Warms the cockles to know it's restored, and will go back to it's original home.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-08 10:11 am   Permalink

Just slightly shorter than War and Peace, my recap of The Hukilau is finally complete ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/07/08/a-tiki-top-10-photos-and-memories-from-the-hukilau-2013/

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-10-22 08:32 am   Permalink

I'd like to register a formal request for Hukilau 2014, re: musical entertainment. Past Hukilaus have been exemplary in presenting a wide variety of exotica in all its manifestations, and we've enjoyed everything from the stalwart Intoxicators to Los Straightjackets, Robert Drasnin & Orchestra to the Sweet Hollywaiians and Ixtahuele. But I sense a bit of an over-reliance both here and elsewhere on surf band music, at the expense of diversity and historic tradition. Nothing against surf music, except that it tends to be overrepresented in tiki culture.

I'd like to see more of the sophistication suggested in the phrase "sophisticated savage", in the form of jazz and jazz-influenced bands, as well as hapa haole. Since West Coast events are abandoning this tradition, perhaps it's time Hukilau embraced the likes of The Smokin' Menehunes and the less-savage options available out there. Who knows, maybe even a Cuban conga band, in light of Florida's geographical & cultural proximity to Cuban culture.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 11:40 am   Permalink

I personally, would love to do it.

http://soundcloud.com/smokin-menehunes

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-10-22 12:44 pm   Permalink

Oh, and Santa can we please have Easton Island too?

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 1:05 pm   Permalink

If there is even one steel drum performer - I'm out (not really, but it sounds tough)! Whats next- Samba dancing and carnival costumes? Keep it PURE-ish - no Flori-bean influences!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-10-24 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-24 13:05, AlohaStation wrote:
If there is even one steel drum performer - I'm out (not really, but it sounds tough)! Whats next- Samba dancing and carnival costumes? Keep it PURE-ish - no Flori-bean influences!!

So we can assume you won't be wanting any unpure Caribbean rum either?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46327&forum=12&0

tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 2:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha Everyone, we are certainly working on a great musical lineup for 2014. We always try and make every effort for equal representation. It's tough to make everyone happy each year but you can count on The Hukilau to be as traditional as possible. The acts we already have lined up for next year are wonderful, and one is coming from across the pond - the first time in the USA - details soon!

Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods will be performing at Tiki Oasis, we did contact him but he decided to go with Tiki Oasis rather than The Hukilau. In an effort to bring diversity, I'll not be bringing them to the event this next year. I hope everyone understands that!

The Hukilau

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2013-10-24 14:45 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation