FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » The Hukilau 2013 Official Thread and Announcement
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
The Hukilau 2013 Official Thread and Announcement
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-28 8:26 pm   Permalink

Glad to see Tiki Diablo will be in the Huki house this year.
Will be great to see you again Danny.
Great job on the mug.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-29 3:35 pm   Permalink

THUD! Jaw hits floor!

Incredible Danny!

Long live the Mai-Kai!

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 04:45 am   Permalink

Here's the latest image of the first mug pulled from the mold. It'ls going to be a hell of a mug!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rama Lama
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-02 9:09 pm   Permalink

The official pendant and the official mug look like total must haves!!! The Ding Dong Devils might have to ditch the tour bus and charter a plane so we don't risk breaking down in Oklahoma and having to hitch hike to Ft. Lauderdale. It would be a shame to be told "The last pendant and mug were just sold!"

View Profile of Rama Lama Send a personal message to Rama Lama  Email Rama Lama Goto the website of Rama Lama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 09:01 am   Permalink

All three finalists in the Deadhead Rum Cocktail Contest have posted their recipes and photos on Facebook. Check 'em out and post your likes and comments while we sample the drinks and select a winner.

https://www.facebook.com/thehukilau

From Q-tiki (David McCauley)
Jungle Fogg ...

From John Tremain & Matt Anderson
Tukupi's Cup ...

And from Hale Tiki (Lucky the Painproof Man)
Kulau Kapu ...

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 10:52 am   Permalink

After much deliberation, we have a winner of our Deadhead Rum Cocktail Contest ....

It's John Tremain & Matt Anderson for their tasty creation, Tukupi's Cup! Mahalo and congratulations!

Here's the winning recipe:

TUKUPI'S CUP

2 fl oz Deadhead® Rum

3/4 fl oz Lime Juice

1/4 fl oz Passion Fruit Syrup (1:1 mix of passion fruit pulp and rich simple syrup)

2 tsp. Maple Syrup (Grade B)

Healthy squirt (2 dashes) Bittermens Elemakule Tiki® Bitters

Shake ingredients with two cups crushed ice and pour unstrained into a double old fashioned glass or vessel of similar capacity. Garnish with three Deluxe Foods sour cherries, an orange twist, and thinly sliced lemon and lime wheels.

The drink name is our nod to , legendary shaman and elder from the clan of the Jivaro tribe. These fierce warriors, who once reigned terror over the jungles of Ecuador and Peru, proclaimed their dominance and appeased their ancestors after battle by shrinking and preserving the heads (Tukupi) of their human conquests.

Mixologists: John Tremain and Matt Anderson

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-06 11:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-06 10:52, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
2 tsp. Maple Syrup (Grade B)
<snip>
...and appeased their ancestors after battle by shrinking and preserving the heads (Tukupi) of their human conquests.

You made me go to Wikipedia to look up the difference between Grade A and Grade B maple syrup, and then also how shrunken heads are made. I'll stick to the maple syrup, thank you...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-06 1:38 pm   Permalink

So mrs butterworths is no good?
Why is it all the new drinks that come out have stuff that is
way hard to find, or things you may use twice in your life.
"two drops monkey jizum extract"

Rum+Coke+lime add ice=Drink
For a sweeter drink add Kayro or Sugar Pops.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-06 1:53 pm   Permalink

hey, just caught this ans I have to say that I am way excited about this mug. I have nailed one color and am dialing in the second color. The mug has a very cool coaster that makes this come alive! Stay tuned.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 11:10 pm   Permalink

The top three drink recipes have been posted on The Atomic Grog for posterity (and easy reference):

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/05/08/the-hukilau-crowns-winner-of-deadhead-rum-cocktail-contest/

Note that if you can't find Deadhead in your area, just substitute Bacardi 8 or a similarly aged, crisp and dry rum. In the winning recipe, Angostura is a fine substitute for Bittermens. Aside from those and some of the garnishes, all of the other ingredients in the drinks should be easy to find for any self-respecting Tiki mixologist :>)

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2013-05-08 08:26 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-08 2:08 pm   Permalink

Will Deadhead be for sale at Hukilau?
Is it for sale in Fla now?
I do want to buy some.

The thing is I got a whole Tiki drink book full of recipes That all
have way out ingredients.
And I have a pretty well stocked bar.
These people who have these rums I would think would want drinks people
that do not have tons of ingredients to work with.
Thus making their booze more easy for the average person to work with, use.

Congratz to the winners!!
I do want to try all of the drinks.

PS you can substitute Cap'n Crunch for Sugar Pops in my drink as well.
"any self-respecting Tiki mixologist :>)"
This too maybe my problem I just pour drinks, in more of a loathsome way.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-09 03:47 am   Permalink

@tikiskip: mmm, rummy sugar pops.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-09 08:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-08 14:08, tikiskip wrote:
I do want to buy some.

The thing is I got a whole Tiki drink book full of recipes That all
have way out ingredients.
And I have a pretty well stocked bar.
These people who have these rums I would think would want drinks people
that do not have tons of ingredients to work with.
Thus making their booze more easy for the average person to work with, use.

Congratz to the winners!!
I do want to try all of the drinks.

PS you can substitute Cap'n Crunch for Sugar Pops in my drink as well.
"any self-respecting Tiki mixologist :>)"
This too maybe my problem I just pour drinks, in more of a loathsome way.

Yeah, you won't be ordering this drink at the Applebee's any time soon. That's why the Derby Daiquiri became such a success. Every bar in America could make it. Check out David McCauley's recipe. It is easy to make and very tasty. It was the winner in our tastings.

"Jungle Fogg"

In a shaker add...
2oz deadhead 6 year cask aged
1/2oz Lemon Hart 151
1/2oz blue Curacao
1/2oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2oz fresh squeezed white grapefruit juice
1oz fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2oz vanilla syrup (I used homemade)
1 & 1/4 tsp of Dons Mix (I used BG Reynolds)

Add 1/2 cup of crushed ice and shake thoroughly. Pour into high ball glass and add crushed ice to fill. Garnish with a long cinnamon stick piercing a quarter lemon wedge (pulp removed)

Still need the cinnamon syrup to make it, and vanilla syrup may also be obscure for the typical hi-ball bar.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 10:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-08 14:08, tikiskip wrote:
I do want to buy some.

tikiskip, according to a recent Deadhead press release, the rum is or will soon be available in: AZ, CA, GA, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OK, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, and WA.

Also, check this link:
http://deadheadrum.com/wp/where-to-buy/#!/

I'm not sure if it will actually be fore sale at The Hukilau, but I would at least hope we'll see lots of samples.

And like I said earlier, it's close enough to Bacardi 8 that you can just substitute that. It's very tough for new rums to get a foothold in the market. Distribution can be difficult. I still find it nearly impossible to find Lemon Hart 151 in Florida, nearly a year after it's official release.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 10:39 am   Permalink

We're still looking for volunteers to help out with many aspects of this year's event.

Remember, volunteering earns you discounts on passes.

Respond directly via e-mail to
Volunteer@TheHukilau.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation