FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Caution: Trailerpark Tiki has chisels ...and a grinder
Caution: Trailerpark Tiki has chisels ...and a grinder
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 7:03 pm   Permalink

Well, I wasn't too pleased with tiki #1, so he's in a corner in my yard. But tiki #2 was a piece of Las Vegas Mesquite tree that was a very hard wood.

Its never too early to start them on tiki!

This pic is before I bought a carving work bench and decent chisels. (back ache time)

[ This Message was edited by: Trailerpark Tiki 2012-10-10 19:12 ]

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 7:08 pm   Permalink

He was starting to take shape...

But something was missing... COCKTAILS!

I wasn't sure how to form the mouth, then a big piece broke off. So, I didn't want to make it worse. I kept the silly mouth but hey, I learned from my mistake.

[ This Message was edited by: Trailerpark Tiki 2012-10-10 19:11 ]

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 7:18 pm   Permalink

So, I did a little tiki bonding with the labradoodle dog.

Then I let him sample my Mai Tais.

Here I am celebrating after he got stained and shellacked. Strumming a happy tune on my uke.

Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 7:26 pm   Permalink

Now I have the carving bug. By the time I finished him I bought chisels, a planer, a grinder and a work bench. I learned how not to do the mouth and how I should have done the chin. Well, there's always the next tiki!

tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-10 7:40 pm   Permalink

Cool, I've wanted to see a mesquite tiki. It's very pretty wood when it's polished. Mesquite is also really, really heavy so I'm impressed.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeverC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-10 7:47 pm   Permalink

welcome to TC. careful the tiki bug can lead to a very expensive hobby lol. the people here on TC are great and very helpful. that is a sweet tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: KeverC 2012-10-10 19:48 ]

View Profile of KeverC Send a personal message to KeverC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-10 8:06 pm   Permalink

TPT looks like you're having fun! That mesquite turned out good with the 2 colors of sapwood and heartwood. Plus you can use the leftovers to smoke ribs!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 8:17 pm   Permalink

yeah bro, that's a solid firstie...and you should be proud of it...

I just sent you a pm...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 05:36 am   Permalink

Unfortunately there are no pesticides that will get rid of this kind of bug...you're just gona have to live with it.

Carve on!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-11 09:39 am   Permalink

Thanks for the comments and I welcome any advice or tips. @MDM I never thought about smoking ribs. Great idea! I'm working on tiki #3 out of the last piece of mesquite. I hope he comes out OK. Will post pics soon.

Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-29 11:30 pm   Permalink

Here is tiki number 3.

Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 10:06 pm   Permalink

I scored some logs today. More tikis to come.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-28 6:13 pm   Permalink

Dude
How did i miss your carving post?
Way cool
See you and your bar on the 1st for the chop

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation